Circle Tours?

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Has anyone ever organized a kind of circle tour? I mean - many of you are within 70 miles of where I live. DH and I used to go for long drives when we lived in BC.

I think it would be wonderful to see your gardens. Maybe we can figure out little circle tours through our region - one for Southern NY, another for Maine, etc. Then on a given date, DG members could do a little circle tour and see 5 or 6 gardens in a day.

What do you think?

Seandor

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I'm up for it!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, now we have two!

Fairfield County, CT(Zone 6b)

Um-m-m OK but I really don't have much of a garden - just kinda piles of dirt and compost in wierd places in the yard - so you can't come to my house - this year anyway. But I'd go to your garden!

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Well my yard will be a testamony to naive ambition! But - perhaps more experienced folk will come and advise me as to what I can do better.

Personally, I think I can benefit by viewing the gardens of those with more experience - plus it makes for a nice day out. :-)

Westbrook, CT(Zone 6a)

Sounds interesting. I'd even settle for an elliptical tour.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Dave47 or DonShirer - you know Southern New England far better than I do . . . How far is Springfield from you guys?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

About an hour and 15 minutes. Lets make it a low pressure event. Not like the garden tours where everything is expected to be perfect, just buddies visiting that won't be bored when we show them each plant in our garden.
Although I may hold out for cucumber sandwhiches ;)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Yeah, exactly . . . I just want to have an opportunity to meet people and see their gardens - nothing fancy. :-) It's an excuse to get out and go for a drive.

(Zone 4a)

You guys are lucky that you live so close to one another......I am too far up North with the polar bears, dog sleds and igloos LOL ONLY KIDDING!!! I am Canadian eh! LOL

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Hey, DawnLL - you'll love this. I'm from British Columbia. When I was a grad student at UBC, one of the students got a job at a university in Georgia. I gave her a postcard of the buses on the glaciers in Jasper Park - and told her to tell everyone it was the highway into Vancouver in early June!

(Zone 4a)

Hahaha that is funny! It is funny how "some" look at Canada.....there are still those that believe we ALL live in igloos and things. I have never even seen a real igloo - just those in pictures. LOL

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

You mean they don't??!!!

Hillsdale, NY(Zone 5b)

I'm up for the tour! I'm in NY state, just across the line from Great Barrington, MA. People are welcome here, and I'll attempt cucumber sandwiches! - Julie

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Excellent! so when is the best time to do this? Personally my gardens have been dismal in August - too much humidity and heat. What do you think would be a good time?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Probably june for most people.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Okay - so we pick a week in June - then what? do we all meet at someone's place, then travel together from garden to garden? I presume those who are willing to show gardens want to see gardens :-)

Hillsdale, NY(Zone 5b)

That's what I was thinking - who'd want to stay home to receive the crowds and miss the tour?!?

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

I thought you knew a special circle tour method. I was wondering, does everone start at the same point or do you pick people up along the way?
Victor, you in?
Julie, how far north is Hillsdale?
We could use some folks between Springfield & Westbrook. That's a long trek with no gardens. Westbrook to Guilford is about 15- 20 minutes. Here to Bridgeport is about 40.
I think we need to recruit some hole fillers but I'm seeing a shape. It may be a rhumbus instead of a circle but I think that's legal.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Not sure. Depends on when / where. Of course I'm way south of all the people who are in so far. I definitely want to meet everyone - if not at this, then perhaps we can all meet at one convenient place one day.

Hillsdale, NY(Zone 5b)

How far north of what? I think Hillsdale is about 15 miles north of the MA-CT line and 8 miles west of the MA-NY line, but like many country drivers, I think in terms of minutes, not miles.

Here's a map, if this link works. Map of Hillsdale, NY 12529, US

Edited to say: Well the Mapquest link didn't work, but you can look it up with the zip code. I'm just a block from the intersection of Rts 22 and 23.

This message was edited Mar 26, 2007 7:58 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.