clematis growth rates

Saint Ignace, MI(Zone 5a)

Help me please!!! The three clematis I purchased locally over the past three years have done very well in our Zone 5 gardens. Now I'm ready to purchase several additional plants - the local garden shops have very limited varieties so I've turned to the internet and some of my favorite plant providers. Most all of these providers ship their clematis in 2 - 4" pots. Since all those I've purchased locally have come in gallon containers I have no idea what kind of growth I'll get my first year from these tiny specimens. Will they bloom this year? All are Group II & Group III varieties if that makes a difference.

I'd appreciate any information you all can share. Obviously I'd better get busy placing my orders. Thanks in advance.

Andrews, NC(Zone 6a)

Silver star vinery has wonderful Clematis in 1 gallon sizes that are spectaculr their fist year in the garden.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 6b)

I'll second that!!

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I will third that. Plus Debbie will spend time helping you pick out just the right clematis for your climate!!

Thanks all for you input. Followed up on the Silver Star web site & am waiting for a reply from Debbie to a couple of questions. Definately going to be placing an order.

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

You won't be sorry! Debbie's rooted Clematis are awesome!!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

YES for Debbie's- I just received and planted four new ones I ordered last fall. Their green leaves are growing away!

Debbie has been wonderful. Can't wait to get my order and watch those babies grow. I'm virtually certain I'll be placing additional orders but need to get some more beds in place before I do. Thanks again for all your help folks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.