Rabbit Manure?

Weston, WV(Zone 6b)

Hey all, i just read that rabbit manure is one of the best organic compost to use because of its high nitrogen! I was wondering though, i have a pet rabbit, and use pine chips as bedding. Can i just compost the bedding each time i clean her cage, or would the urine in it hurt my compost? Or should i just throw the pellets in my compost?

Peoria, IL

The urine is an excellent addition to the compost. Feel free to add your own if you're up to it.

Weston, WV(Zone 6b)

Ummm ewwww ....lol

Good so i can just dump the whole dirty cage into my compost!!! Awesome!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Havent you heard the poem "Little bunny foo foo pooping on the pile, little bunny foo foo making you plant smile"

Weston, WV(Zone 6b)

nope never heard of that one Soferdig, i will now remember that though. Its cute!
And to think i have been just throwing all that good organic compost in the trash can! Man what a waste!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

There is a whole thread on Bunny droppings and their ability to be used without composting. Though the nitrogen is a good cooker for the carbon in the compost.

Madison, IL(Zone 6b)

My bunny gave me a good supply for 10 years. At last, he passed away last year. The garden's not going to be the same without him. He's laid to rest at the foot of it. I hope your bunny has many good years ahead of him.

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

My son used to raise rabbits and I took the cage cleanings and anything under the cages and used it "straight" on my flower beds. I never had a problem with burning or smell and the results were great. And it was FREE. I would love to have some bunnies around now.

Charlotte, NC(Zone 8a)

I shred my newspapers and use it in "Scooter's" cage. I also use a grey material bought in the pet store that adds to the newspapers. My grandaughter and I "pour everything into a white plastic tub and carry it to the compost. It's not heavy, just awkward. You can't beat FREE, can you?

Karin ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

P.S. Which one is the real rabbit?

Thumbnail by greenthumb_NC

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.