Bohemian Waxwing's posed for the camera.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

This afternoon while I was filling my gas tank, a flock of 40 - 50 Bohemian Waxwing's landed in a clump of trees a few feet away. But, I didn't have the camera. After filling the tank, I drove the few blocks home, and returned with the camera. They were still there, and I took 126 shots before I got tired. The birds where in the trees when I left. I got a few good shots and a lot of junk. I'll post a few of the better pictures, as I sort through the batch.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Most of the flock was roosted near the tops of the trees, facing the sun with very little movement. A few birds were very actively bouncing around the lower branches collecting something. I couldn't see what they were eating, but they looked like trapeze acrobats collecting something.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Can anyone see what the Bohemian Waxwing is eating? The beak is open about to grab something.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Viewed from the front, the colors appear almost soft, on the Bohemian Waxwing. But, from the back there are small bright red, yellow, and white markings.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

The colors fade from one to another in a soft nearly surreal texture, when compared with the detail of the branches.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

With the tree being a Balsam Poplar, I'd suspect they're eating the balsam. I've seen them avidly feeding in Balsam Poplars several times before, pecking at the buds and catkins.

Resin

Southern, NH(Zone 5b)

Grasmussen: your pictures are so clear! What kind of camera setup do you have?
It's so much fun to see pictures of birds that you don't see in your local area - thank you!

carolyn

Marlton, NJ

Great pics Gras! Their such a handsome bird. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

I'm several days behind . . . great photos - and what a fabulous experience!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I've always thought that those Waxwings should have been named "BATMAN". I just love the beautiful masks on them. The colors are gorgeous. Thanks for always sharing your awesome photos Gras. I appreciate ya!

Janet

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

birds in action! They are such pretty birds! And you got some really nice shots of them!! Thanks for sharring!

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Oh my ...
Some mitey gorgeous and brilliantly clear photos, Grasmussen!!!

Really appreciate the 2nd & 4th photos - for the comparison value - in addition to the excellent clarity and great photography!

Altho' I certainly can't tell (or know) what the difference is in the 'appearance' between the B. Waxwing sexes - but your 2nd photo has my wee brain working overtime on a caption for those two and their distinctly different positions on the branch ..

But something along the lines of the upright fella being a bit embarrassed, while speaking under his breath to the other one ... "Beverly, for goodness sake .. will ya get up from there? The entire neighborhood can see your whole bottom!!"

.. and an addendum; .. "Ohh geezz, how I wish the leaves were a bit more sprouted - right about now!"

.. and another; the lil fella with his head peering from under the limb .. "Hey Barry, take a look at this, wouldja? Do ya think that, that chicken little fella, may've been in this same position when he thought the sky was falling? Hmmm, chickens DO roost, don't they?" ..

((gigglin' to self)) and clutchin' at straws, mindja .. LOL ..

ckk/carolyn .. I'll 2nd that request:
* * Grasmussen .. please, let us know the brand and model of camera you're using -?-

Murmur ..
It's quickly becomin' {my} 'norm' - to be (at least) several days to several weeks 'behind'!! .. HeeHee ..

Grasmussen ..
I fear that you may've been holding out on the rest of us, all this time. (hee) Some absolutely spectacular photos that you and that camera can chunk out. Please share more often .. ? .. (or is this, another one of those several hundred photos & threads, that I keep missing).
Prob'ly so, probly so!

((huggs))

- Magpye

Marlton, NJ

ROTFLMBO, very good Magpye!

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

cck & Magpye: My new camera is a Panasonic, Lumix DMC-FZ50. It has a zoom range equal to 35mm - 420mm on an old 35mm camera. It also has a 10.1 megapixel format which allows me to crop a fairly small section out of a picture and still have good details.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

(( .. thank ye, pell .. mitey sweet of ya))

And Grasmussen .. please know that the camera info is very much appreciated!

- Magpye

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Just beautiful! I've not seen any waxwings since moving here.
;-(

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.