Searching for Espalier Nails or Anchoring Devices

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

I have been searching in the US for espalier nails, but alas, no one seems to have these any more. I had purchased these in the past and they worked so well. They are masonry nails with squares of lead around the head and a "ribbon" of lead extending to the side. The "ribbon" could be lifted for more branches, and never constricted the growth of the vine. I am attaching a picture of mine and including a picture I found on the Internet of another type. I like the ones I have used better, but at this point I am no longer picky. I just really don't want to have to have to self-manufacture something that might work if espalier nails can still be purchased. Please help.

[HYPERLINK@hort.ufl.edu]

Thumbnail by baagrant
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Suspect the lead content means they have been withdrawn under health & safety regs.

Used to have some on our house wall from the previous occupant, but the lead heads tended to fall off (metal fatigue) over the years.

Resin

Ballintleva, Ireland

I am sure I have two packets of new ones in my greenhouse...and I think they are manufactured by "GARDMAN" in the UK.
I have just checked - they have a web address - www.gardman.co.uk - but they don't sell from it.
There is a page that shows a small picture of all the "handypacks"...and these do look like the ones I have.
You can request a brochure - or try calling them for a stockist near to you

Tomorrow I will go and get them and let you know if they sound like the ones you are after.
(It's too dark to go down there now - it's 9.20pm here)
How many do you need...I can post these to you if they are the right ones and get more if you need lots!
Sue

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

Oh, Wow, Yippee ;-)

I went to the web link and this looks like they might actually still make them!! I am so happy to have you find them for me. Since I had such a difficult time finding them this time I think I will get enough to last me for about 20 years (I figure I won't be nailing into cement by then, Ha.) Actually, I will go out tomorrow and count how many nails I have used in the past ten years and come up with a number. I really don't need a great number of them, I just needed SOME of them and could not find them high nor low!!! I am so thrilled that you got in touch with me! Thank you so much. How many are in a pack? What is the cost of a pack? How much would it cost to mail them?

You are my first non-US email contact. You may need to lead me in the right direction.

It is 10:34 PM here now. Is your greenhouse a personal one, or are you in the trade? I once was adding a greenhouse onto our home, but alas we moved away before it was completed so I've never had one. I do actively garden in our yard, both in the ground and in containers.

Thank you and thank you again so very, very much,
Barbara

Ballintleva, Ireland

Hi Barbara,
I am so sorry to hear that you don't have a greenhouse....I have recently got mine....it's a luxury - has electricity a little sink and tap and a recently installed fridge (to store my seeds and stratify etc)....I am loving every moment of messing around down there!

Anyhow - attached is a photo of "The Nails"
They come in packs of 10 - one is unopened, the other has 8 (two rusty ones!)
Is 18 enough for you?...shall I send these while i look around for a store that sells them?

D-Mail me your address if you're not n the address file
regards
Sue

Thumbnail by WillowandSpike

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.