Freecycle!!

Ida, MI

Freecycle is a tremendous example of sustainability that EVERYONE can participate in. There are groups all over the US. You simply post one item you no longer want and you are free to snap up as many free deals as you can. It is great to keep things out of the landfill. The one requirement is that everything on freecycle be offered absolutely free, if you get multiple requests for an item you are free to choose who you give it to. All those things you no longer need but hate to throw out find new homes and wont hit the landfill before their usefullness is over and you won't have to trip over them anymore. Also you can take advantage of other peoples don't needs. I recently got a very large dining table and six chairs, all in need of a facelift. The table I'm using for seed starting and the chairs are going to be painted and used for seating on my porch insttead of going out and buying fancy outdorr furniture.
Last summer I saw a request, (yes thats right, you can also request items) for an outdoor atennae tower. I had one that I no longer used and was an eyesore. I had been meaning to take it down for years but it was job I didn't want to tackle by myself. Well I offered it to the gentleman if he would take it down, he was delighted! He wanted it for a cabin up north and didn't want to buy a new one, as he said, I knew there was one out there that somebody didn't want anymore! So he took it down, son and I gave him a hand with actually bringing it down but that was onle a few minutes and he took it all apart and hauled it away. What a great deal! He was happy, I was happy and the landfill space was saved as this thing was still plenty sturdy and the gentlman planned on sanding and painting it, that thing will go on serving its purpose for many years to come!

So check it out, its a yahoo group, just google freecycle and look for the group nearest you, something easy, and FREE that you can do to help towards sustainability, and enhance your life in the process.

Any other success stories out there from fellow freecyclers to entice those who haven't tried it yet?

This thread has 41 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!