Cross Post: Cordless Rechargeable Mulching Mowers?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

My gas-powered mulching mower is just about ready to give up the ghost... We now have a small area of turf to cut and I'm not interested in another gas-powered mower. I want something electric and preferably cordless. I *absolutely do not* want a mechanical push mower.

Can you give me your reviews on (battery-powered) Cordless Rechargeable Mulching Mowers? I've seen a few advertisements in my gardening magazines, but I won't purchase anything until I find one that comes highly recommended by *you*. :~)

Kalamazoo, MI

I got a Black and Decker cordless mower in around 1998. Loved it. Got the smallest one they had. It was so quiet passersby would often remark about that. Then the battery died a couple of years ago and it was so expensive to replace that DH decided he wanted the old-fashioned mechanical push mower. We have little grass to cut in the back yard and a neighbor does the front and side lot (33 x 100).

Oh, um, DH just reminded me that if the grass was a bit high for the height setting or the grass was wet it did tend to shut itself off for a minute. This could happen several times in a cutting. If the grass was cut regularly and was dry it did just fine.

This message was edited Apr 4, 2007 11:10 AM

Thornton, IL

We have a Neuton mower and I LOVE IT!!! It isn't a mulching mower, you need to buy a separate blade for that, which I haven't yet. I I have a small yard, they're not good for large areas. The best part is, we don't confuse gas with oil, it starts up very easily, and is very lightweight. The switch that automatically shuts it off when you release the handle (a safety feature) was recalled, but the company sent us the part to fix it for free, we still need to install that and sharpen the blade for this season. That's all the maintenance it needs, getting the blade sharpened. You can also purchase extra blades and batteries. Mine has a removable bagger. I DO want to get the mulching kit this year, baggers are a pain and the grass does better with a mulching mower (we used to have a Toro). The only complaint I have, I do not have large hands and you have to squeeze the handles together to mow, the handle is just wide enough to tire your hands out. But that's just me, if I wear my garden gloves, they provide a little traction and cushion.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

So far it seems that there are two respectable options for what I am looking for, a Black & Decker or a Neuton.

This message was edited Apr 10, 2007 10:15 PM

Thornton, IL

wrightie ~ your links have 0s after the www, I think that's why they don't work.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Yikes, I don't know where those came from, but I'll try to re-post good links later. Thanks, PGz.

Thornton, IL

My professor (of horticulture) has a B&D, he loves his. I would go with whatever company gives you the best deal. B&D had recalled theirs when I was shopping, so it was not available. I guess any "new" technology has kinks in it, which I'm sure will get worked out. Did you know that these are required in some place in California?

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

I know of communities/towns that do not allow gas-powered mowers. In fact, Takoma Park, MD is one such town and is right around the corner from me. These types of mowers are pretty common in the UK, where I have family. Shame that the US isn't further along on alternative mowers (also a shame that we're so Turf-Centric in the States)...

Thornton, IL

I lived in Tacoma Park, when we first moved to Washington DC area. I did not know that.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

You're kidding? Hmmm... as far as I'm aware, they've had that rule for at least 10yrs now.

Thornton, IL

Oh wrightie, I was, well, that was in the '70s. LOL! I went to high school in Germantown. Have been here for more than 25 years.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.