Gardening By The Yard with Paul James

Southern Mountains, GA(Zone 6b)

Anyone else a fan of this great show? Yes, it's silly and cheesy but I really like it. It's informative, down to earth with a good sense of humor. Paul James is just goofy enough to make me laugh and I envy his yard. Actually, I wish he'd come here and start working around my place. :-) Apparently almost all of his show is filmed right in his back yard. It's on HGTV on Saturdays and Sundays.

Vancouver, WA(Zone 8a)

I agree. His show is informative and practical.

MANSFIELD, AR(Zone 7a)

Great show!

One reason I posted is I have a concern his show may be discontinued, which I think would be a shame. It's aired in some of the least desirable time slots and I haven't seen any new episodes recently. I wish there was some way to get HGTV to give him more shows at better time slots.

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi Rose. We seem to meet in many forums! I too have always loved watching his show, though I have not seen it this past year. I'm usually involved with the kids on weekend mornings. Always say I will record it but never do. I hope you're not right about the cancellation. It has been on a long time though. What time is it shown now? I have noticed over the last few years that the 'G' in HGTV plays a much smaller role than the 'H'. Not much garden stuff. Too bad.

Victor

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I love his show and it would be a shame if it were cancelled or dropped. Here in NC I usually catch Gardening by the Yard on Saturday morning around 11-12 noon. I don't watch HGTV much due to just what victorgardener mentioned above...no gardening! Seems like I find more gardening shows on PBS here on Saturday morning than on HGTV. I usually catch Victory Garden, Gardeners Almanac and P. Allen Smith. There was also a gardening show in connection with Carolina Gardening magazine. I believe the Gardeners Almanac show is in conjunction with the NC Cooperative Extension service.

Not all of us are building a new home, flipping a home or decorating/remodeling.

Hi Victor, and everyone else! Just wanted to say I have no real information on his show either being continued or discontinued. It is just the fact that he has such a low priority time slot that made me think he's being phased out. Here at my house, on Direct TV, he comes on Saturday at noon for half an hour and Sunday morning at 7:30 and 8:00. I'm often out on Saturdays and I'm not usually watching TV at 7:30 AM on Sunday, especially with the time change.
I like PBS for gardening shows too. Victory Garden isn't as good as it used to be with Roger Swain, but maybe it's just me getting old and always thinking everything used to be better in the "old days". :-)
Here in Georgia we have a co op show too and P Allen is good. I sometimes watch Landscapers Challenge but everything seems to be in California where the terrain, land lots and plant choices might as well be coming from another planet as far as how they relate to my situation. Oh well, as long as I don't have to watch my neighbors come in and redecorate my house while I have to do the same to theirs.. .....

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I agree with the G deficit on HGTV. It seems they ran the gardening shows in the spring/summer during daylight hours. I'm gonna be outside at that time. Maybe they got such low ratings they dropped most of them. I do miss them when I need a winter gardening fix! Even DH will watch Paul James. He is entertaining.

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I love watching Paul James, but at 6:30 am on Sunday it's become rather difficult to catch. I usually manage to miss the Saturday morning show. I'll have to try harder. I certainly hope that they keep him going. He's fun to watch, and offers very practical, workable ideas for the garden.

Southlake, TX(Zone 8a)

I am also a big fan of Paul James. I record his shows and this lets me back up if I didn't understand something, or even watch episodes twice. I agree with above comments that the "G" is vanishing from HGTV. If anyone has a link to where we could write HGTV, and support Paul James so his show does not get cancelled, and/or ask for more gardening shows, let us know. There is power in numbers!

Glad I'm not alone in this. I did go to the HGTV website but I didn't want to sign up to enter the discussion/message boards. I'm just reluctant to be signed in to too many sites and there doesn't seem to be any way to contact HGTV unless you do register. Too bad there isn't the old fashioned way where you could write a letter to a real address. Imagine it! (That coming from me who stays signed in here at DG and haunts dozens of threads.)

Indian Harbour Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Me too ! I'd write also if I get a handle on where to send it.....

Here you go. Email address and snail mail address to Scripps Networks. HGTV is part of them.
http://www.scrippsnetworks.com/contact.aspx

Are we sure the show is on the chopping block??

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

No, I think it was just speculation due to the greatly reduced programming hours and the general vanishing act of the HGTV gardening programming in general. I think the email protests were suggested as a preemptive strike against further MIA gardening shows.

Fine, then count me in. I'll email them.

Yes, dmac, that's the idea.
Marie, thanks for the website address
Victor, I have no idea about the show's future, I was just voicing my concerns since there don't seem to be any new episodes and a far from primetime viewing slot.

I did email using the address given and it bounced back. I understand Rose and it is a show worth fighting for. Just wish the email worked! (Picture Paul walking right up to the lens saying that!)

Well how do you like that? The address on their very own web-site doesn't work! Geez! That is just wrong.

Well, maybe we can use telepathy.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I like him and his show. It's a shame that they put so much time into shows that are really impractical.

And how do people afford to put as much money into updating a house as they do on those shows? GEEZ!!!!!

One of the things I don't like about the gardening shows they do put on is they can afford to install a fully mature garden. Am I the only one who would rather buy seeds and wait than spend a fortune on plants?

bridigid, you're certainly not alone. I think most of us are doing the best we can with what we have. Remember, these are TV shows and somebody else is paying for all that stuff. They probably stretch the truth far more than they let on in the finished show.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

And of course they get the entire yard done in a half hour!

Part of it is the sponsors, who often are big plant companies like Monrovia. They want big, mature plants shown so it will entice people to buy them.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

And of course they never mention that losing a mature tree will cost you a lot more than losing a seedling, etc.!

This has been bugging me, so I've kept looking for a way to communicate with the 'suits' at HGTV.

Here is the web-link for questions. If you scroll all the way down to the bottom, you will find a link to Customer Service, and they also have a telephone number. http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/about_us/article/0,1783,HGTV_3080_1433559,00.html#Q18

This is the form that comes up on the Customer Service link, in order to send them an email. http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/about_us/text/0,1783,HGTV_3080_4964,00.html

I sent an email voicing my concerns not only with the odd times that Gardening By the Yard is shown and how much I enjoy the program, but also my views on how few relevant gardening programs they are currently airing.

Let's see what happens.

I have received an automated response that my email was received by HGTV. At least we know the link works.

Thanks marie. I'll try also.

Southlake, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you, Marie, for the link for the form. I also just sent an email with this brief comment:

"Hi Just a little note to say that I am a big fan of Gardening by the Yard. I hope you continue to film and show new episodes. I also am concerned that the HGTV is going more towards the home and less towards the garden. There are only a few garden shows left. Thank you. "

Let's see if there is any feedback. They have my email, mailing address and phone #. If others did the same, then maybe we would get results. They put the forms out there so folks like us can have a voice. Like I said, there is power in numbers. Perhaps if they knew how many DG'ers liked garden shows, then they would lean towards some new ones in the future. (hint, hint, feel free to email them with the link provided above my Marie.)

Katy, TX(Zone 8b)

Okay - I have a question for those of you who don't like the idea that they put in full grown this and that and the whole process takes only 30 actual minutes including commercials: How often would you watch if they didn't show instant gratification? Do you like sitting around watching grass or any seeds growing? We do what we have to do - plant seeds, cutting little bitty plants, etc - to get the effect we want eventually. They show the "After" right now. On the cooking shows they put pans of stuff in the oven and after the commercial break "voila" the completed dish on a pretty platter fully garnished. Life ain't like that sweeties. I think that this worrying about Paul James demise is probably over-reaction of someone's part. As long as you continue to buy the products advertised on his show (or any other, for that matter), continue to write,etc the powers-that-be will continue to have him and others where they are unless people start really complaining or the "star" decides to call it quits for one reason or another. Writing to say you appreciate him helps, of course, but for the reasons listed above. He has clever writers who put words in his mouth - words YOU want to hear. If he were to say, for instance "Oak trees are a menace to the world so go out and cut down all your oak trees and send them to the landfill" you would say to yourself "This guy is a creep" and turn him off (or stay turned to see if he starts acting any stranger). His estate is beautiful and I almost cried when I saw the episode where his big oak tree fell on a car (?) and the tree couldn't be saved. What an opportunity to "instantly" get rid of it, tow the car away and clean up the mess. Get real!

Ann

Thanks Marie, what started out as grousing by me has been turned into action by others. I'm going to send them an email too. Maybe they will get wind of Dave's Garden and find out just how many gardeners there are out there that they could be marketing to, which is what it's all about for them anyway.

Ann, we cross posted. There's always room for divergent viewpoints; thanks for posting your point of view. I happen to disagree and feel like Paul James is his own man, to a certain extent. I like his show and I would very much like to see it continue. I have no problem with shows that show a start and a finish in 30 minutes. I just enjoy gardening shows that are relative to my situation and Gardening By The Yard is one of them. Rosemary

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I've seen all sorts of gardening done on that particular program from seed starting, both indoor and in situ, container gardening, veggies, composting, annual, perennials, bulbs, shrubs, roses, grass, both lawn and ornamental, products both chemical and organic and gadgets. I think there is enough variety for almost any type of gardener whether experienced or beginner. I happen to like the humor in the presentation of Gardening by the Yard. I know that isn't for everyone but then again some people may not care for the old Yankee charm of The Victory Garden or the elegant presentation of A Gardener's Journal. Seems there is something for almost everyone.

It's not JUST the dwindling appearance of the Paul James show that people are reacting to, it's the gradual disappearance of all of the garden shows that used to be staples on this channel. We just want more "G" represented in HGTV:LOL:

Amen. I emailed them and suggested they officially change the logo to 'HgTV'!

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

It used to be that for two hours on Saturdays and Sundays there were garden shows back to back. A Gardener's Diary was one, but it's been so long ago that I can't remember what the others were. I faithfully watched them though, and I learned a lot of stuff.

Now finding a gardening show is very rare.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Yep...the "G" is silent:LOL:

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Dmac you are correct! Y'all inspired me to email my opinion too. I was willing to get up early 5 am on Sunday to catch some of the garden shows but they are nowhere to be found now.

I personally believe that any gardening magazine, gardening show or other garden media will have "moles" as members looking for trends, styles, tastes changing and maybe even new "hot" plants. If they do not have moles out, they are definitely missing the boat.

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

I'll email, too. Enough house already! Give me some garden!

Edited to say hmmmm... I submitted it and they said the page was not found. Tres interesante...

This message was edited Mar 27, 2007 10:36 AM

I have not received a personal reply to my email yet. Has anyone?

Nope - just the automated kind.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.