Help for Niobe Clematis

Kilmarnock, VA(Zone 7a)

I also have a Niobe clematis, and this season will be its third year. I am totally inexperienced with clematis and am trying to learn. Last year I thought the clematis was dead since it had done so poorly the first year – mostly because I think the dogs broke off whatever it managed to put forth. In fact I was about to dig it up when I noticed what I thought was some growth so I left it alone. It actually bloomed some so I was very encouraged. From reading about this particular clematis, I thought it belonged in the Group II class, i.e., the first bloom was on old wood and the second bloom was on new. Now I’ve just seen where it can belong to either the II or III group. I just went outside to check on what it’s doing so far this year and see that it has some new leaves coming out on the old wood and some new shoots at the base. Can someone advise me on what if anything to do about pruning? I would like to do it “properly” if possible. Thanks so much for the help. Betty

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Betty: 'Niobe' is a tried & true Clematis. Since this will be it's 3rd year in your garden, you should have a well established vine. Yes, it is classified as a Group II (light prune), but many gardeners find that it's sometimes easier to treat them as a Group III (hard prune). Some of the earlier blooms may be sacrificed, but you will be rewarded with a fuller plant and more flowers. I would prune it now and give it either Rose or Tomato fertilizer. Prune again after it has finished flowering for a 2nd flush of blooms. Don't fertilize after August. Keep it well mulched, without the mulch actually touching the vine. Water as needed and enjoy! http://www.clematis.hull.ac.uk/new-clemdetail.cfm?dbkey=27

Kilmarnock, VA(Zone 7a)

Thanks, Shirley1md. I followed your advice even though it's hard to cut back what seemed like good growth. I'm hoping my sacrifice will be well worth it in a couple of months. Thanks again. Betty

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, I know it's hard to cut back healthy growth, but your Clematis will reward you in a couple of months. Looking forward to seeing your pictures. Good Luck!

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Niobe's climbing upward to Armandii's skyward bound.

Thumbnail by Lily_love

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.