Propagating My Minerva Amaryllis

Limington, ME

I have a lovely Minerva Amaryllis that bloomed last Christmas. I think I remember seeing a man on the Martha Stewart Show propagate an amaryllis by slicing the bulb into a bunches of pieces and then setting them in a soiless medium (I have some extra coconut husk on hand), then watering with a half strength fertilizer. I was hoping to get some bulbs ready to hand out as gifts for next christmas. That may not be enough time, I can wait another year if needed. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. The pic. is of the bulb I plan on using taken today. Thanks!

Thumbnail by anyasmifya

The process you describe is called "chipping" or "tunication". It is a standard method of reproducing bulbs. Even if you're successful in your attempts to reproduce your bulb, I doubt the resulting bulbs will be ready to flower by next Christmas. Minerva is a very inexpensive variety. You would be better off buying them in bulk in November, then wrapping them up for gift-giving in December. Chipped bulbs still need two or more years before they'll flower.

Limington, ME

Thanks for the information. I may try chipping my bulb just for fun then. I would like to grow a bunch of them in a big planter.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.