REVENGE of the WORMS

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Have you seen this article in the New York Times? http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/15/garden/15nature.html

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

There was an article in the Worm Digest about misplaced worms destroying the Great Lakes forests several years ago. The problem was thought to be due to fisherman dumping bait worms (usually nightcrawlers) on the ground near their woodland fishing holes rather than transporting them home again.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

This is the first that I've ever heard of worms being destructive. How the heck do you reverse the damage - birds?

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Go to www.GardenRant.com to read a rebuttal to this article.

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Dratz... Wish you had sent this sooner. I now have a freezer full of worms because I'm such a bad aim with my new WalMart-purchased revolver...

But seriously, folks. The rebuttal was an enjoyable read. Thanks.

Ida, MI

Oh someone give me break! Earthworms killing hostas?! What a crock. Whiile this may have some bearing on actual indigenous forest areas the average woodland garden is built on former farmland, the worms were there first lady! And someone correct me if I'm wrong but arent hostas an introduced species themselves? Another example of people concerned about their own desires trying to pass it off as concern for the environment. Don't they have forests in europe where these worms come from? Someone save us(and the worms) from all the do gooders out there!

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Worms of the world UNITE! (or something like that )

The rebuttal actually acknowledged that worms misplaced in the woodlands are destructive and destroying the duff layer that the native species require.

On the second page of her article she concurs:
"FACT: It's a bummer if you have a woodland garden that has been invaded by non-native earthworms, especially if they have set about to munch on the very duff layer that your woodland plants depend upon."

I hadn't heard of worms destroying hostas and am not sure I quite believe that the worms are the cause. They could be a side effect of what ever is affecting the hostas.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I still think all the worms should get together and gang up on the lawyers who have been elected to the office they serve.

ah well, that is an whole 'nother "can o worms". :)

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

Ba Doom Bing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.