Buds on My Pitcher Plant.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I didn't know they bloomed. Just noticed this afternoon that my pitcher plant is covered with these buds. Anybody seen the blooms?
I'll post more pictures as they progress.

Betty

Thumbnail by picabo

That's a Nepenthes Plant you've got there ready to bloom. Good for you!

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank You. I was reading some of the older post and wonder if it may be Nepenthes Miranda.

It is a really big plant. The pot is hanging low in the GH and the flowers are near the roof. The GH is so full I can't get close but the plant is maybe 5' to 6'. Sounds like the smell of the blooms is going to be very unpleasant inside. LOL

Betty

I can't tell what you have from your photo other than that your plant might be a male Nep. It certainly looks healthy and happy though.

Neps can get pretty big. That's why I've had to give some of mine away. Although I have never seen one that is 50', they're allegedly out there that size. Aren't ya glad yours isn't that big!

Here's are two nice photos on sexing Nepenthes-
http://www.exoticplantsplus.com/NFlowerPics.htm

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Finally took some more pictures. What cute flowers. No smell that I notice.

Betty

Thumbnail by picabo
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

up close and personal

Thumbnail by picabo
Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Ooops wrong picture, but you sorta get the idea. LOL

Betty

What kind of camera are you using? Those photos are really great.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

Thank You
I used a Nikon Cool Pics for the first and a Canon Rebel for the last two. The Canon makes some really good macro shots.
This is the photo I meant to post. The macro shows things that you don't normally see. A tripod would have helped.

I am about to move the Pitcher plant out of the GH. It has grown into so many other plants it will be interesting to see how tall it is when I can get closer. I know there are a lot more flowers starting to open. The GH is so humid it may not like moving outside.

Betty

Thumbnail by picabo

Wonderful! Absolutely wonderful.

Did you ever check out the Nikon D80? What do you think of that camera?

I'm currently using a Kodak DX6440 point and click deal. It's simple and I know how to use it so this is my third Kodak DX6440 and before that I had the Kodak predecessor. I can't find any more to buy so I'm in trouble. I do have a Canon Power Shot S2 IS (hanging head in shame) that I take out of the box every once in while to try to use but haven't quite figured out how to use it. It sits in the box on the mantel. I'm not even embarrassed any longer. I keep it up there hoping somebody comes over who knows how to use it. Pathetic- yup. I am not only computer illiterate but camera illiterate. Anyway, it is said that the Nikon D80 has great automatic settings and that with the flick of a dial, I should be able to take macros using little or no neural cell activity. One thing is for sure, I've got to buy a camera I can use before the Kodak takes a nose dive into a bog or something. That Canon Power Shot was supposed to be able to take great macros. Too bad it was so complicated I never could figure out how to take those macro shots.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I haven't checked out the D 80. Both of mine are so simple, I just keep on auto most of the time. The Nikon is an older model, a point and shoot. I got it when my grandaughter was born. I do have several lenses for the Canon. I have always been a Minolta fan but got these when digital came out. My daughter is an artist and uses the big lenses. I haven't picked up the old Minoltas in years. I am an artist and shoot a lot for paintings and the batiks that I do, so am often looking for a certain effect, the macro works good for that.

Betty

This message was edited Mar 30, 2007 9:18 PM

I like point and shoots that can produce photos like that!

I'll go check out to see if they still have a Nikon Cool Pics or a Canon Rebel. Here's hoping those are more affordable than the one I was looking at but for point and shoot photos like what you take, I'd probably pay more to get quality. Thanks for giving me the model numbers.

I love batik! One of the best textile arts. So colorful.

Nashville, TN(Zone 6b)

I think you would like the Cool Pics. Not an expensive camera and does a good job. I carry it in my purse lots of the time.

Betty

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.