what are these little cuties

Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

In the middle of this yucky storm I have these little guys racing around the yard. Can anyone id? thanks

Thumbnail by venu209

Here's another shot that is blurry but the color is more true (very black heads and back)

Thumbnail by venu209
Lawrenceville, GA

dark-eyed junco

Marlton, NJ

Hi venu, Aren't they sweet? I had so many this winter.

Thanks Judy. Pelletory, they are so very cute and I gave them extra points for being so fearless of this weather. Do they stick around all year in our parts?

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Do they stick around all year in our parts?

No, they're only winter visitors in NJ. To see them in summer, you need to go into the Appalachian Mts., or north into New England or Canada; they nest in boreal and mountain conifer forests.

Resin

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I see Brick,NJ, is near the shore, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see Juncos in summer around the Delaware Water Gap in New Jersey. There are a few here over the summer at the feeder but nothing like now, especially in a snowstorm. We're not very far from their year-round range.

Well, I will miss these little guys during the summer, but at least I'll have something to look for next winter. Of course a few days at the gap would be nice too:>)

Southern, NH(Zone 5b)

Hi all, I'm new to DG.
We see juncos all winter at our feeders - my kids call them Oreo birds! They are very cute, especially on very cold days when they fluff up for warmth.

Hi ckk and welcome to DG. Your kids are right, they do resemble an oreo!

Marlton, NJ

Hi ckk, Welcome to DG and the Bird Watching forum!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.