Hunting for Espalier Nails or other Anchors

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

Does anyone know a source for espalier nails, anchoring devices, or what-je-ma-call-its that are used to nail into brick walls to enable one to attach plants as espalier? I have purchased these little square nails with lead "ties" before and they worked well. However I cannot find them this year. Please, please help me find some more of them. My climbing hydrangea is in need of attention.

Or if you have an idea of what I could use instead, I am open for suggestions.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Are you thinking of masonry nails?

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

They are a masonry nail that has an attached ribbon of lead so that when the nail is nailed into the wall, you can use the lead to attach the vine, and you can undo and redo it over and over as long as you are easy with it and don't break off the lead. They are made especially for the purpose, but I can't find them now.

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

I have been looking high and low for a source of espalier nails. I actually found a picture of one. This one seems to have two nails with a connector between, the ones I purchased a few years ago, had just one nail and the connector was lead. Articles on espalier still refer to these anchoring devices so I am assuming they are still available somewhere. I just need your help to find them.

http://hort.ufl.edu/gt/espalier/espalier008.jpg

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Go to a Nursery that sells Grafting tools they will have what you want

Metro DC, MD(Zone 7a)

You might also consider cross-posting in the European Gardening forum(?)... I'd like to find these also, so I'll keep my eyes peeled on this thread.

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

Do you know how one goes about finding a European Gardening forum? Sounds like a good idea. Here is a picture of the ones I used to use.

Thumbnail by baagrant
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

European forum:

http://davesgarden.com/forums/f/eu/all/

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

not sure any one makes any any more

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.