Organic brugs?

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

Is it possible to grow this plant in central Tx organically. I got this plant in trade thinking that I would give it a try. I have had it in a pot so far and it's struggling. I don't want to put it in the ground unless I can grow it organically and get it to look good. If I have to put chemicals on it, then I think the plant and I both would be better off if I gave it away. I decided along time ago, if I can't grow it organically, then I don't want it.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Are they hardy in your zone? The ones I'm familiar with can be borderline here if we have a bad winter so I don't know if they'd make it through winter in zone 8. That being said, you can grow anything you want organically, that's a personal choice as far as how you want to maintain your garden, and there is not a single plant out there that you have to put chemicals on to get it to do well. As far as the best way to care for it and keep it looking good in a pot (or in the ground if you decide to take a chance on your winters), there is a whole forum devoted to brugs so I would go over there and give them some info on how you're caring for it now (how much sun, how much water/fertilizer, etc) and they can give you some tips to keep it looking better.

Good advice Ecrane. I bought some Rabbit Hill Farm fertilizer today. Last year I used Rose Glow. I don't know if Rabbit Hill will be any better, but we'll see. I also have a bouganvilla in the ground and a tropical hibiscus in a pot that I can use it on. But we'll see. Thanks

Linden, MI(Zone 5a)

Hi there!

First, I would advise you make a small bed rather than a hole for your brug. Instead of the typical dig a hole and toss the plant in, dig a 3x3 hole and a foot deep. Mix in plenty of compost in the area along with the goodies mentioned below. Brugs are heavy heavy eaters...I have had great luck using clover in the bed's and tilling/turning the ground around the brugs several times a year. Clover is loaded with high levels of nitrogen. I also use lots & lots of blood meal with a shot of worm castings and some bone meal. While you are waiting for your clover to grow, you can get some good old high nitrogen chicken poo and work it in the soil :-)
Oh and of course Compost! Compost! Compost!
Hope this helps!

Timfoss, yes that helps a lot. Except that I'm not sure clover will grow here. In Houston it grows like a weed, but I rarely see it here. I think sweet pea has a lot of nitrogen, but it's a winter crop here. Bush bean are good for enriching the soil, but under a brug I don't think they'll get enough sun. I can't think of anything that will grow here that will supply nitrogen. I do have an excellent source of composted turkey manure atleast.:) I'm glad you mentioned the bed part. Right now I don't have room in any of my beds, so I was considering planting it in the yard, not in a bed. I think it may have to stay in the pot for now because there's no time to make another bed. This weekend we are building a rock border around a huge flower bed and even expanded it, making it bigger. My yard looks like an army of monster armadillos went through it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.