The cost of hamburger buns & deli rolls,...... whew !

Claremore, OK(Zone 6a)

Expensive ! Considering how cheap flour is.

I make my bread machine earn it's keep. I make up a regular white bread recipe with flour, salt, sugar, 1 egg, 2 tbsp butter and a cup and a half of milk.............. all basic staples we have in our kitchen. (except the yeast, maybe).

I put it all in bread machine just like for a loaf of bread and stop it after the second knead cycle. I take it out, form it into balls, flatten it out to about 4" flat rounds on a cookie sheet, let it rise and bake. Makes the most wonderful hamburger buns and deli rolls. I slice them with an electric knife, put into a zip-lock gallon size bag and into the freezer.

If you start a second batch while you shape and bake the first batch, you can make enough rolls for a family
to use for several meals of hamburgers, Sloppy Joe's and BBQ sandwiches. And for deli sandwiches, shape different for hoagies and hot dogs. They do need to go into the freezer though since they don't contain preservatives. The gallon zip-lock bags are perfect.

That's cheap for nice quality ! A 5 lb. bag of flour is only about $ 1.50, and you can make a bunch of rolls, where the pre-made rolls are at least $ 1.89 to $ 2.35 for a pkg. of only 8, and they arent very good.

I use my electric knife to slice them before I put them into zip-lock bags and freeze. So I can just unzip and take out what I need and keep the rest frozen. Pop into microwave for 10 to 15 seconds, and they're ready.

There's one other benefit to this...................... It REALLY impresses DH. LOL. , I pack him a lunch each day, so he is so proud that he has homemade rolls for his sandwiches. He enjoys it more than the same old sliced bread every day too.

This thread has 115 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!