Perennial flowers that like water....

(Zone 4a)

A friend just asked me for help. She has a section where she would like to plant perennial flowers in part shade but the problem is the water can collect in this area when it rains....run off from the house. Have any ideas for what types of flowers like water??? Your help would be appreciated.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Dawn - the last time I heard that question was from Eyrnne in CA about a year ago.LOL
here's a starter
http://www.backyardgardener.com/pren/prenlist6.html
I knew about the helenium - I used my wet areas to put them in.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

It's on this link too
http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/HGIC1153.htm
I didn't print them and compare them - gotta leave some work for you.

(Zone 4a)

Thank YOU so much bigcityal!!!! I will pass along those links...I appreciate it :)

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

I know Japanese Iris's like moist areas, here's what i found.

Find a location where the soil has an average amount of moisture, or in warmer areas it can even be a bit wet like on the edge of a pond. Japanese irises like soil that has generous amounts of humus and nutrients, so add some compost, decomposed manure or leaf mold if your soil is lean or sandy. Soil with a slightly acid pH is ideal.

2. Site your Japanese iris where they will get full day sun. While they will grow in partial shade, blooms will be better with stronger light.
I have some in both full sun and semi-shade, they do bloom better in full sun but I still get nice blooms in semi too, just not as many.

Trillium loves a shaded moist area.
Another one I have that does well in a mostly shaded area is Primula 'Pacific Giant'
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/57031/index.html

Good luck!

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I would still add polymer crystals when I planted these. Weeks can go by with virtually no rain. Those plants will fail without constant moisture.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

Dawn, Ligularia is an interesting wet shade plant. I know of 2 types Desdemona and the Rocket. Bluestone has them.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Good point, Victor. I'd never have considered it but now I will.

If she goes with Ligularia, a dynamite one that I have is L. dentata 'Britt-Marie Crawford', with incredible dark maroon foliage. The yellow daisy-like flowers really stand out against it but I grow it primarily for the foliage. Here it is near my pond.

Thumbnail by victorgardener
(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Victor - your foliage shapes and color contrasts are beautiful.

Thanks Pirl.

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

Victor, that's a great pic! ditto what pirlie said. I really want a pond.

Thanks. I was shocked / disappointed the other day to find that most, if not all, of my koi are dead. Real bummer. They survived other colder winters and were three years old and about 12 - 15 inches. Possible my heater did not do a good enough job of eliminating gases.

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Nice photo Victor. That blue euphorbia looking plant really stands out.

Thinking more on this subject. I certainly recall the Eupatorium and Rudbeckia lacinaita growing wild in near marsh conditions. I have ligularia in the shade, but it's never standing water. There are options like having annuals like carex or canna in that spot also.

Thanks Al. Actually that's dwarf Blue Spruce. I will probably have to re-locate that Ligularia because the maple that shaded it at mid-day was taken down and it's now in full sun.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.