CLOSED: Who am I?

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

While I love having the experts here to help me identify the birds that visit my yard, I am hoping someone will post a link for a site that will help me learn to identify them myself. I want to be able to bookmark it and be just like y'all when I grow up! HAHAHA

We have a variety of birds show up every day. Most of them, thanks to the folks at Dave's, I can recognize. I've made folders within my bird folder for each of the species of birds that I photograph. That has really helped me to organize my photos. I have one folder called ID CRISIS.

I don't know what folder to put this little fella in. Can anyone tell me "Who am I"?

Thanks,

Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

The bird in you picture is the very common House Sparrow, formerly known as the English Sparrow, because it was introduced form England to North America in the 19th. century. This non-native bird is considered a pest through North America.

UniQue, I would suggest you purchase a field guide to birds.

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I don't think this site will help if you don't already know or have an idea of which bird you're seeing but I enjoy just going thru the Alphabetical list and looking at the different ones. You can also listen to their sounds, I think it takes Real Player to hear them but it links to the program download page.
http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/

Lawrenceville, GA

Janet...
There's a great site, whatbird.com, where you can search identies of birds by color, what they eat, their bill size, where you saw them, etc., that might assist you in getting started.
You check as many characteristics as you know and the Web site posts what birds it could be, that at least will narrow down your search.
A field guide, also, would be of tremendous help to you.
Enjoy learning. It's a lot of fun to get where you recognize them even before you see them, from their calls! People make fun of me for being able to "hear" a red bellied woodpecker before I actually see it!

Marlton, NJ

Make sure you get an Eastern Region Field Guide if you buy one.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the ID. I don't mind the House Sparrows.

I have a Field Guide called ALL THE BIRDS of North America. So far, I've been lucky to find most of my birds. I couldn't put my eyeballs on it this morning though and was bumfoozled about what that bird was. Before I found this forum, I didn't realize how many "different" brown birds I had in my yard. I used to think they were ALL sparrows. Then Resin set me straight. Thank goodness for all of the good folks here willing to ID birds.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.