planting in burned tree rounds

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

I'm not sure where to post this question so I'll start here where there is discussion of soil....I have burned out tree rounds and am wondering if I can put soil in them and plant directly into the round or should I put a pot inside? didn't know if the burned stuff would compromise the soil or the plants in anyway or if it would ask as a compost/nutrient? Any help would be appreciated....Deb

Thumbnail by Depsi
Palmer, AK(Zone 2a)

I don't know the answer to your question, but I was wondering how you got them burned out like that?

It looks cool!

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

I actually have no idea....we picked them up in the backcountry where they were falling a burned area....But thanks for responding....I thought it was pretty cool myself and could imagine them with marigolds growing in them....

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

I would expect the charred parts of the stump to be beneficial to the soil microbes. The stumps will decay over time, but you should be able to plant directly into them as long as there is drainage.

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

Oh thank you so much....I really appreciate it...I know we add ashes, etc to our compost but just wasn't sure if that would just be too much in one concentrated area....I will find out, I'm sure, since I am planting them up....Thank you again...Deb

Ashes are different from charcoal, which appears to be what you have on the inside of your stump.
Charcoal was an important part or the rich Terra Pretas, or black soil, of Brazil. It is important not to confuse a bio-char or horticultural charcoal with the chemically treated charcoal used in BBQs.

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

Oh, I was thinking of wood ashes from when we burn trees/fireplaces or our paper waste here...not with charcoal briquettes, etc....Is the other alright? Thank you for the guidance....Deb

The ashes from your fireplace should be fine as long as you are not burning coloured papers (giftwrap) and plastics in there.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

The only thing ashes does is to raise the ph of the soil. So the only thing you might have trouble with is the acid loving plants. But the charcoal that actually is the interface is just perfect for any soil you put in. I too would like to know how they did that. Must have been charcoal placed on top and had them sitting in water. Lewis and Clark would know how they did that. They used to burn out trees to minimize the need for chipping and they did that with hot coals. The other thing is a lightening strike to a tree that someone cut up in pieces. Interesting.

lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

Thank you for the input, Steve...I haven't got a clue how it was done....we just stumbled upon them...by the way, love your puppy...we have a 4yr old JRT from the Northern California JRT Rescue and we love her to pieces...I'm enclosing a recent pic of our Rosie....

Thumbnail by Depsi
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I have a deep love for these children. Your Rosie is a beautiful child. My new baby is ready to pick up when I get home today. I am so anxious. I miss my Maddie we lost this year and Sophie who I lost 6 years ago. They are the ambitous perfect friend to have. I am planning on trying to train my new one on chickens. Probably won't work so I have a chicken tractor back up to keep her out. My 4 year old Border terrier Kip is anxious for a playmate. He misses Maddie a lot. this is Kip

Thumbnail by Soferdig

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.