What native groundcovers can I plant here?

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I need a temporary fix ,for a couple of years, in my driveway. The center of the asphalt was ripped up for a construction project. I have lots of heavy clay dirt everywhere when it rains. I'd like to remove some dirt, put down pavers or bluestone in the center and add low shallow rooted natives to hold the dirt in place. Most of the area is hot and sunny. Other then phlox subulata can anyone think of other sturdy choices. Dogs will be running in this area also. I think thyme would work but of course they're not native. Any suggestions ?

Thumbnail by sempervirens
Cincinnati, OH

If you use real clay bricks instead of concrete pavers any plants will do better. They are much cheaper too, about a quarter apeice. They come from a brickyard. They will retain water. Moss and some plants can grow directly on them. I have a surplus of rock garden seed. A lot of the seed were substitutes labelled with genera that I am not familiar with.
http://www.nargs.org/gardening/plant.list.html

Thornton, IL

I don't have many suggestions, paxistima canbyi? I just wanted to say I really like how you've edged the beds with the rocks. And the path to the left, what material is that? It looks really nice.

Northeast Harbor, ME

Is Alleghany pachysandra too tall?

I do like UUWallace's idea of moss, though. especially if it'll be poorly drained. If you were willing to mow it, you might have good luck with a native yarrow. They're all over my lawn and respond quite well to a regular shearing. Though that'd only happen with some soil ammending.

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

Not sure if any of these will work for you and your area, but I found these on the New England Wild Flower Society seed catalog page.

http://www.newfs.org/seeds/seedcat07-01.htm

Antennaria virginica
Callirhoe involucrata
Callirhoe involucrata var. lineariloba
Draba arabisans
Sisyrinchium idahoense
Talinum calycinum
Talinum rugospermum

Cincinnati, OH

Would you consider lilies? Some Ophiopogon are only 2.5 cm tall (1"). It is called lilyturf, monkey grass and mondo grass. I think they are only indignant in Arkansas. Liriope is a more common relative, also called lilyturf. They are several inches tall.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/50006/index.html

Brick vs. paver manufacturing:
Brick needs a suitable clay and a high temperature oven. Firebrick crumbles when it is heated a second time so the ovens are run 24 hours/365 days per year. Concrete pavers can be made cheaply anywhere. Why are they three times the price rather than 1/3?

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

I think I can use most of the suggestions offered, I was completely drawing a blank on my own. Thanks all.
UUWallace the idea of adding bricks to a center line of pavers is wonderfull. I've already looked up brickyards. The pavers (gifted to me and already delivered) are the same color as soft old brick. I just completely overlooked seeds, thanks for the suggestion and sites. Terry that looks like a good list you've compiled, I will order some seeds immediately. Watersedge, I can try to move some of the alleghany pachysandra from my woodland garden and see what happens. I have a good source for the yarrow. The dirt in this trench is very poor and I did have some moss growing although it also grew some yellow fungus. Prairiegirl the path is bluestone. I have 2 paxistima canbyi in front, so far the growth is not great and the needles have not remained green. I'm not sure they like the spot.
I also realized since this is a temporary garden I can fill in with some inexpensive annuals.

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

How about Frogfruit, Phyla nodiflora,
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/62730/index.html

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

frostweed, I googled the Phyla nodiflora and found it to be a Texas native that can grow as far as NJ. It does say it can be invasive. So do you have any experience with this plant?

I also found barren strawberry,Waldensteinia fargarioides, Chrysogonum virginianum (green and gold), and Potentilla tridenta as possibilities.
Any thoughts or information on these?

I planted Potentilla tridenta (now known as Sibbaldiopsis tridentata) on the side of my driveway where it is well drained and gravelly. I don't water it, I don't do anything to it and it grows. I suspect I could drive over it but there's a deep slope where it's planted and people have literally rolled their cars off my driveway backing out but... I do suspect it could be accidentally driven over with a car and it would probably still grow. It's low growing enough to clear the undercarriage of your car and after it has outlived its usefulness to you, you could move it somewhere else. I am somewhat concerned about how compact your soil appears to be in that area so you'd probably have to go at it good before planting anything. I have a good online source for that plant where you could buy 25 or more for a great price if you are interested.

The Chrysogonum virginianum is another ground hugger I looked up after you mentioned it. That looks real interesting. Good find. Waldsteinia fragarioides would be great but I suspect you're going to have trouble trying to get your hands on that plant. I've been trying for a while and had no luck. Did you find it for sale somewhere locally or online?

Bureau County, IL(Zone 5a)

I had Chrysogonum virginianum when we lived in TN. Although some say it's not a picky plant, I found that actually it is. It doesn't like clay soils much, I found. Excessive moisture and organic mulches will encourage fungal attacks so you need to water sparingly. I used a pea gravel under it as was suggested to me. It did alright, but it wasn't something I would of planted had I known how particular it was.

Frogfruit is low growing and you can mow it if you need to, it can take some traffic too. As far a invasive, I think most groundcovers are invasive by nature, or they would not be able to cover the ground, but Frogfruit is easy to control.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks for the info on Chrysogonum virginianum terry, maybe a gravel base with a fill in of ground covers will be the best way to go.
Equil, I did a good search for the Waldstenia fragarioides with no luck. I'll keep looking and keep you in mind. In the meantime I would like your source for the Sibbaldiopsis tridentata.
Frostweed, do you have a source for Frogfruit? Can I plant some of the other ground covers with it ?

http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/2372/

He's still going by Potentilla tridenta. If you want them, best to order quick as at this time of year you run the risk of inventory being depleted. Last year I ordered late and got knocked out of about 8 species I wanted. This year, I was able to get everything I wanted in the quantities I wanted but I ordered back in February.

Same experience I had searching for Waldstenia fragarioides. I even went to word of mouth by asking people who are in my native plant group and came up empty handed. If it was out there, somebody would have shared seed with me.

Northern, NJ(Zone 6b)

Equil, I only find potentilla fruticosa on that site.
I came across "American Beauties" www.abnativeplants.com
The NWF with Prides Corner Farms & North Creek Nurseries have this line of native plants for retail nurseries.

I am sorry, the only places I know about are the local native plant nurseries, you might check with organic nurseries that carry native plants near you and maybe they can help.

Call him direct, I bought mine last year. He told me he had plants available this year that weren't on the on-line list.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.