My Sister said she had a hummer

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

I can't wait to get one. When she told me that I almost broke my neck getting mine out. Now I will get a stiff neck watching for the little beauties.

My Son put up birdhouse gourds today. Now have 4 up and 2 to go.

Marlton, NJ

Good for you and your son!
Heres the Migration Map so you can track them.

http://hummingbirds.net/map.html

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

Makshi, where does your sister live? Asking since I live in Putnam County in Indiana.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Makshi, What an unusual name. I like it. I have never used gourds. Can you show us some of your gourds? I see them sometimes at thrift stores. I may even be able to put my hands on one or two. One in particular was going to be a "bird butt". (waybigo grin - another story, for another time).

Thanks for posting the link to the map Pelle. I bookmarked it this time. I noticed they are already in Southeast Texas. Over the winter I picked up a few new feeders. I just scrubbed them and made some nectar. It's been raining so I'll put them out in the morning. The plants they normally nectar on aren't in bloom, so I'll hopefully entice some new folks to my yard, until the regulars show up.

I hope I can get some really good photos this year. My Sony H1 camera **is** capable. It will be up to me to set it up right. After seeing some of the shots here, I will be trying that much harder.

How far apart should the feeders be?

I love this shot because it looks like he is clapping. :-)

Janet

Edited for typo

This message was edited Mar 14, 2007 7:39 PM

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Marlton, NJ

Cute shot Janet! I think the feeders are supposed to be about 20 feet apart maybe where one can't be seen from the others location.

Hebron, KY

Janet,

Great shot!

We have 4 Hummingbird feeders that we'll put up. 2 in the back yard and 2 in the front yard.

Marilyn

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Nanny, My Sister lives in Marion Cty. in Indianapolis.

I will post a picture of the bird gourds shortly. It is raining today so will have to wait to clearer.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I always look forward to their return. Has anyone seen Rufous hummingbirds in their IN or KY yards? I live in southeastern KY and thought we only have the Ruby-throat hummers. I was looking at Pelletory link to first sights of Rufous that he posted.
Thanks,
Teresa

Marlton, NJ

She posted. :-))

Putnam County, IN(Zone 5b)

I checked that post out too. That would be cool !! I had read last year that some had been spotted farther east then normal. I think I will get my feeder ready!!!!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
Has anyone seen Rufous hummingbirds in their IN or KY yards? I live in southeastern KY and thought we only have the Ruby-throat hummers

I'd think that a Rufous Hummer is far more likely than Ruby-throated in IN in March. Rufous Hummers are wintering regularly in the eastern US and are also earlier migrants; a Ruby-throated wouldn't be that far north yet.

Resin

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

My son & I saw a hummer in our back yard yesterday. Of all the times to be outside without the camera. It was around the birdbath and crepe myrtle. We usually have the camera with us because we have been seeing all kinds of birds lately and our 2 cats are always beside us. Spring is on the way!

Susan

Lawrenceville, GA

Raggedyann...
YIPPPEE! I am so glad to hear they are back in Lawrenceville!!! I've put out one feeder so far. When they're in full swing, I have 6 feeders in my backyard and a hummingbird flower garden in my front yard. Soon it will be like a war zone in my yard again!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

As far as I know the only hummers in Indiana are the ruby throated. I have never seen any other. All of the info tells us that this is true.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Hummingbirds are territorial but I don't think they have to be to far apart. Mine were with a couple of feet of each other and I always had hummers last year.

From http://www.learner.org/jnorth/tm/humm/RufousIndianaFacts.html :

Quoting:
Over the past 26 years, there were 42 verified sightings of rufous hummingbirds in Indiana. Ten of those were in the last year alone

Resin

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Resin,

That is nice to hear. I had just never heard that before. All my life I had been told or read that only the ruby came here. Now I have another to try and see.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

I did see one just briefly at the feeder last year that had more of an orangish color to the back feathers. I need to look at some more closeups of the Rufous I guess.

Sorry, Pelletory

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Here is another good link about hummingbirds. Hopefully, we will begin to see both types soon in our gardens!

http://fohn.net/hummingbird-pictures/rufous-hummingbird.html

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Here are the gourds I said I would post. I am not very artistic but I don't think the birds will care.

Thumbnail by makshi
Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Another

Thumbnail by makshi
Marlton, NJ

Very nice makshi!!

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Thanks pelletory. If no birds move in I guess they will just be decoration.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Makshi, Your gourds are beautiful.

I bought a package of seeds to plant, but haven't planted them yet. Can you share any hints on planting there... Where? Light requirements? Are they hollow when they come out or does that have to dry out? Can you tell I'm totally ignorant where gourds are concerned.

I did find a few gourds at Goodwill today. I will use those for bird feeders.

Janet

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

Janet,

They take a lot of room to grow, in sun, moist soil. They have to dry to become dry and hollow. You have to just let them dry and cut a hole and take out the seeds and dry pulp. I think they do better if you let them grow to about 10 feet and then pinch off the end.

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the info. I'll be sure to put them somewhere that they will get lots of sun and that I'll water daily. I hope to be able to have some as pretty as yours are some day.

Janet

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

A quick question as our hummers have shown up here in Western WA for a couple weeks. This a.m. one caught my eye as it was teasing some fluff out of dryer lint I had put out on a protected planter out the kitchen window for this purpose. So cool to watch him/her take a mouthful over and over!

BUT, my question is: is the used dryer lint safe for them to use in their nests? I have read somewhere long ago about it: but can't remember the verdict on safety.

Thanks.
Poochella

Marlton, NJ

Hi Poochella, Love your username.

Actually dryer lint is not good for any birds to use for nest.

Pet hair would be a much better option.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Glad I asked and thankful you answered so quickly Pelletory. I shall remove the dryer lint at once and go with goat and dog undercoat instead.

Thanks!

Quoting:
goat and dog undercoat instead

Ideal! One proviso, any long hair, snip it in pieces so there's nothing more than about 5cm long. Longer strands can twine round the legs of the chicks.

Resin

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Well, live and learn! Thank you Resin. I think I'm good on the usual undercoat wooly fluff from various creatures/donors; but the straight hairs from the goats might be contenders for the 5 cm guideline. I'll definitely keep that in mind.

We have juncoes, or juncos? that routinely nest in our deck's hanging fuschia basket annually, if not twice or thrice annually. I was surprised to see the inner nest lined with wonderful goat hair when I peeked in. I think the wrens in the Christmas wreath at the front door thought highly of this material too. Isn't nature grand?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v293/poochella/Miscellaneous/nestinfuschia.jpg

Marlton, NJ

It certianly is grand! Nice pic.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Comfy looking nest, Pooch!

Has anyone seen HBs up north lately?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.