Alonsoa meridionalis

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I have 18 of these in large 3" pots. They are getting too big to keep inside, but the temps will be down in the 40s and 30s and they aren't hardened off. How hardy are these things? Does anybody know? I wonder if they would be okay if I put them outside without hardening them off....or conversely, if the 40s and 50s would be okay, as that is forecasted for next week.

I started them too early because there is a pic in PFs that shows 45 day old seedlings and mine were 10x that size at 45 days. Now I am trying to get them somewhere where they can have enough light.

Suzy

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Suzy,

Cool is okay, 40-50 at night, any hard frost this early in their lives and you can kiss them goodbye. Is it possible to cut them back some and keep them inside until April?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Hi Dale_a -- Fancy seeing you here!

Thanks for the answer -- I bought a brand new plastic portable greenhouse and we put it up last night. It is still standing after 20 mph winds, so I guess it's good to go.

Now, is there a heat index on this plant? Do you use it as a winter annual by any chance?

Yes, I can cut it back, but I've been pinching all along and I'm not sure of the habit of the plant....what it is supposed to look like. I hate to ruin the form by pinching more and more and more.

I have a lot of travel in the next month (one trip to Florida, but on the Atlantic side) and Mr. Clean will be taking care of my plants. This is nearly always a disaster since he doesn't actually LOOK at the plants. ( If I say water every other day, he'll water every other day, even if one plant is sitting in 2 inches of water.) However he is all I have now that the kids are gone.

Thanks for the answer -- the greenhouse is toasty warm today -- temps down to 23 tonight. Not sure that plastic is going to keep them warm enough.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.