I want very badly to be clean and clutter free.....

Crozet, VA

I have been saying this for a long time and am now officially ready to begin the steps that it is going to take to get there. I have decided that I need to hold myself accountable to someone or some group in order to follow through with my plan. For at least ten years now I have had a spare bedroom that has become a very cluttered and messy spare room. This is house number two where the same thing happened as before.

I just read on here some hints that Terry heard an Oprah guest tell regarding how to become organized. The main one that I found that I need in order to begin is to give the space a purpose. All along I hadn't really thought of labeling it and it showed by becoming a catch all for everything. I have now decided that it's main purpose will be that of library. I am a book and magazine lover. My husband and I just inherited two gorgeous old barrister bookcases. They have all glass fronts and this is serving to give me more display space for my many collections. Hmmmmm......never thought til now to call myself a book collector, but I am one. ha-ha

Currently the room has a pile almost waist high of stuff that needs to find homes. I have a friend coming tomorrow to help me begin the organization. Also this week I have written myself notes to help me decide what to do with all the pile stuff. I heard and plan to use "The Get Rid of It If" principle. Get rid of it if you don't use it, don't need it or don't love it. In the past I have always run in to the problem of seeming to love everything. ha-ha I am at the point now that I want a lighter burden when it comes to "things." Things is things. ha-ha

Anyway, I am here to ask that those of you who feel so inclined to help encourage me to get the room straight and then check occasionally to see if I am keeping it straight. Oh yeah, back to the purpose of the room. First off to house my books and magazine. Second purpose is to serve as extra sleeping space. This house is only half the size of the one that I moved out of. I want to be able to have folks stay over if they want to and have a comfortable place to sleep.

I have seen what I am thinking will be the perfect piece of furniture for that. If anyone is familiar with the store called The Plow and Hearth, it is in their spring catalogue. It is called a chair and a half. It folds out and can sleep two people supposedly. It is costly but I am figuring my peace of mind is worth the cost of it. I have no peace with that room being in it's current condition. Third purpose of room is to house some of my house plants. They have already been in there for a while and are all doing well so I don't want to move them.

So......by giving the room a purpose, I now feel better about tackling it tomorrow. I was able last weekend to spend a little time in there putting away my many unread magazines. Other than the closet, if something isn't related to reading, resting and tending plants, it shouldn't be in that room. As I stated, I have had this thing hanging over my head for ten years and will be thrilled to finally have it set up with a purpose.

Anyone else want to take on a project and hold yourself accountable to group? I am open to other hints and tips for maintaining usefullness. Thank you all and have a very good day.

Ruby

This thread has 19 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!