over-wintering herbs

Ashland, OH(Zone 6a)

Do any of you bring your herbs inside for the winter to continue using them to have fresh herbs with your meals, etc? I brought mine inside, and my rosemary, lavender, marjoram, lemon thyme, and oregano all pretty much died off! I'm not sure if they're actually dead, of if they have to go dormant for the winter. Anyone know? One of my pots of rosemary is the only one that looks half-way decent. I've had them under florescent lights and have kept them watered. When they started looking bad I moved them to a South window where they really aren't getting a whole lot of sun anyway, since it's been so cloudy here for so long. They're still going down-hill. Anyone have any hints for me???

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

I've grown all of those herbs, Aunty B, but have never brought them inside for winter. They stay green and usable as is (outside) for a long time here. Sorry about yours. Just wait and see, I guess. AuntyB, the experimenter and scientist !~!

Ashland, OH(Zone 6a)

That's me, Granny! Justa learnin' as I go! (mostly from my mistakes!) *lol*

Vashon, WA(Zone 8a)

I have tried herbs indoors too and have little to no luck, I do better by keeping them outside. I mulch my Bay and the varigated sages, cover my scented Geraniums and relocate stevia, lemon grass, pinapple sage and lemon verbena and that method works for me. I hope someone has some experience moving herbs indoors succesfully because I'd love to know how.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Here is something that I have written on overwintering rosemary:

I *love* rosemary and am distraught to think that even one plant might not make it through the winter. In the warmer zones, like 8, 9 & 10, this is generally not a problem. In zones 6 & 7 rosemary can sometimes be kept outdoors if it is planted in a sheltered location and/or mulched, since it
is hardy to -18. To keep your rosemary in zones further north than zone 6 requires bringing it indoors for the cold winter. I must add, though, that creeping rosemary does tend to be hardier than the bush variety, so take that
into consideration as well.

Here in zone 5a, where our temps can easily dip to -50 with the wind chill factor, I keep my bush rosemaries (the only kind I grow) in terra cotta pots, sinking them in the garden and then pulling up the pots to bring inside. They
prefer cooler temps, so I keep mine in the basement near a window. They also like air circulation, so if the temps allow, and if your windows open, crack the window to give them a breath of fresh air. If rosemary starts stretching
towards the window or becoming leggy then it is not receiving enough light. Then you will have to place it outside. Rosemary can tolerate very light frost once in a while so it wouldn't hurt to put it out if needed.

Overwatering is the greatest cause of death in an indoor rosemary, and they need excellent drainage. A drainage tray with pebbles on the bottom is a good idea, this keeps the bottom out of standing water and still provides humidity.
If you don't over-water, spider mites or an outgrown pot are the main causes of rosemary not surviving wintering indoors. A monthly shower is a good idea to prevent spider mites. Re-potting, if needed, should be done by the end of
December. However, do not fertilize in the winter.Fertilize only in the summer months when serious growth is happening.

At the end of February you can take cuttings for new plants. Cut off shoots about 5 - 6 inches long, strip off the bottom third leaves and pot in soiless mix, cover with clear plastic, and put under grow lights 18 hours a day for
two months. By May when it gets warm enough they can go outside. The original plants go under the lights and usually make it through this and become very bushy with new growth starting in April. In the spring they will bear
glorious blue flowers! Mine have even flowered in December!

Wentworth, SD(Zone 4a)

Alison, Thanks for the great info. I bought some rosemary one time and it died when I had it inside. I will try this this year.

Kennedy, NY(Zone 4a)

I havea little 4" pot of basil growing happily in my window at this time... it is sitting on top of the soil that my 6 year old geranium is in... along with a piece of wandering jew...

I have to be the worst gardener in the world... hehehe

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.