Heidi Watch '07

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

This is a continuation of a group of threads the last one of which can be found here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/650091/

Ok, I confess, the photo is a "snippet" from last year, and it's not Heidi. It's actually one of the kids. And, I don't mean to be critical, but now that I've blown that pic up, I think Heidi needed to take a q-tip to those ears. Anyhow, as we all know how much we are inclined to gravitate towards threads with a photo... I borrowed this one from last summer.

Heidi Watch 2007 begins now! Hold on to your seats, folks, because, in the words of one of the great actresses of yesteryear, "it's going to be a bumpy ride".

Thumbnail by DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

A little over a week ago, as you will recall, having become convinced of Heidi's reappearance on the scene, I began putting "dinner" out for her once again. For 2 consecutive nights I left out the carcasses of rotisserie chickens I'd picked up at the deli along with asparagus and mixed veggies. The next night I left her a bowl of Widget's food mixed with sunflower seeds since she seems to enjoy those as well and an 8oz chunk of feta cheese, the latter from my frostbitten collection of foods not eaten in a timely manner. During that time I did not see Snowball (the white oppossum) at all. His sudden disappearance after spending so many nights in the back yard only fueled my belief that Heidi was back. I had been pretty sure that upon her return she would surely put an end to his trend of camping out in the backyard all night. She was back.

Each morning the food was gone leaving not so much as a crumb to mark the area where the food had been. In addition, I started noticing that by the end of each day the level of sunflower seeds in the bird feeder had gone down by 3-4 inches, a quantity that would only seem reasonable if an osprey had visited the feeder - or a raccoon. "Heidi" was eating "good". The next night, believe it or not, she dined on an 8oz fillet mignon with another block of feta, this one low fat, can't forget her figure. (I had cooked the tenderloin the prior week. It was one of those "special" ones shipped to my door on dry ice, and, ick, it was awful. It had a spongee texture and I could not eat it, but I didn't think Heidi would complain.)

Figuring that Heidi must be eating for 5 again and thus very hungry, the next night I really got carried away. (Need to make sure the new kids are healthy, after all.) I was just so excited to think she was back. I wanted so much to see her again. I left out a feast she could not have eaten if she'd been eating for 10. I cooked a turkey breast and retained the 3 cups juices from the bottom of the pan for Heidi. Somewhere during that time I also had some sea scallops sauteed in butter, the pan drippings from which I poured over 3 bread sticks left over from a prior pizza delivery. In the back of the fridge I also found 2 pints of white rice from Chinese takeout. I soaked the rice in the 3+ cups turkey juices, tossed in the 3 scallop flavored bread sticks, topped it all off with the turkey bones, skin, etc and some left over mashed potatoes, with a few over ripe nectarines for desert - a veritable raccoon feast that I was proud to offer to our returning guest of honor!

That night (actually the next morning) in the early AM when I took Widget out, I was surprised to see Snowball out there rummaging through a handful of leftovers. At 1st I was crushed! Had I been feeding Snowball all this time instead of Heidi? Was Heidi even back? Then as I returned to bed for a last few hours of sleep before work, I remembered all of the "Heidi signs" I'd recently seen. She was back. She had to be back. Those were definitely her calling cards I'd seen. Then I remembered the huge feast I'd left out. Of course, Heidi couldn't eat all of that in one night no matter how hungry she was or how many mouths she was feeding or how hard she tried - not to mention if she did she'd never be able to climb back up the tree for a snooze afterward! So, I reassured myself, hours after Heidi had walked away from the carnage, I had happened by to find Snowball plundering the remains. Yes, that was it. Heidi WAS back, and she HAD enjoyed the feast I'd left. I WAS feeding Heidi...I thought...

This message was edited Mar 14, 2007 1:57 AM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

The next day I could not get over lingering doubts that Heidi might not really be back, that I might instead have been feeding Snowball, and who knows what over creatures of the night, maybe even rats. I didn't leave anything out that night. I decided to restrain my enthusiasm, and wait to SEE Heidi. Later that night I went out to find the feeder down by 1/3 with Snowball scampering away from the scene. It only served to further my newfound belief that Snowball was the culprit afterall. Heidi was not back, not yet, anyway, but she would be. I'd just have to wait...

Then it was Saturday. I spent a lot of time outside that day working in my backyard flower garden and was more than a little confused to notice late that afternoon that the 5"D x 18"H feeder which I had filled just that very morning was 1/2 empty! Hadn't I been out there WITH the feeder almost all day? But still, no amount of birds could have eaten that much sunflower seed in one day?! Furthermore, I couldn't remember ever having seen an oppossum out in daylight. Raccoon, yes, but not oppossums. Something very weird was going on...and right under my nose apparently.

Still, I stuck with my guns and did not put out any food.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

A few times over the next few nights, near dusk I'd go back to the spot where I used to feed her and call her softly. Nothing. No Heidi. Then one night, I noticed that the little tree - just over the fence, right beside the spot where I used to throw Heidi's food over the fence so long ago - was "jiggling", all of its leaves dancing wildly. I looked around. There was no wind. Everything else was still. I called out again. Again, the tree jiggled. My heart leaped. It had to be her, had to be; but she did not show herself. I walked back to the house again without having seen Heidi.

The next night when I went out and call her, I could hear the sound of leaves crinkling on the other side of the fence. The sound was clearly indicative of something about her size. Or was it? Maybe I was imagining it all? Maybe it was a deer or a squirrel or... I called again. Again the tree danced...but, again, no raccon appeared atop the fence, no little head popped up in the trees [the way Trouble used to do], no batch of kids streamed down the fence. How I'd missed her and her family. How I longed to see her again. But it was not to be. Not that night.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2007 2:01 AM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

...and so it was, that a few nights later I walked out to see something leap from the feeder and flee! Certain that only a raccoon could move like that I grabbed some kibble and rushed out after it. Once again outside, dog food in hand, I put the dog food in the spot where I used to feed her and sat down some distance away calling her softly. She did not appear. Mildly dejected, I went back inside leaving the food for her.

The next night, last night in fact, I walked to the back door - a French door, all glass - and turned on the outside light to see a raccoon standing beneath the nearby feeder. Now it was for sure. A raccoon, hopefully Heidi, WAS back. This was the 1st time I had actually seen a raccoon out there since Heidi and the kids left last year. Still when I went out carrying dog food and calling her name, Heidi did not appear.

For a moment, as I sat in the dim light at the patio table, I thought I heard the sound of something amidst the roses beside me. I looked, hoping to see Heidi there, but my eyes could see nothing in the darkness. I called to her and waited. A few minutes later I again heard something in the shrubs near me. I had the familiar feeling of something watching me the way Heidi used to do long ago in the days before our encounter last summer.

Again I left the food and returned to the house. Again, I began to have doubts. Maybe this wasn't Heidi. Sure, I could love another raccoon, but I really wanted to see Heidi again. Wouldn't she have come out by now? Wouldn't she smell the dog food, hear me calling her name and remember? If it were Heidi?

This message was edited Mar 14, 2007 1:36 AM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Tonight I came home from work and caught up on a little reading...and then I became very..very..sleepy. I promised myself I wouldn't fall asleep. It was almost dark. I needed to go out and bring in the feeder soon, needed to get it before the raccoon had a chance to empty it. "Whoever" was out there last night had eaten 1/2 the seeds in the feeder, after all.

Hours later I awoke to total darkness and rushed out to save the feeder. I threw on the outside light to see a raccoon hanging from the side of the feeder which, BTW, was only about 5ft from the door. The raccoon held its ground. Even as I stepped outside it remained on the feeder for a moment before disappearing once again across the yard and over the back fence. One more time I grabbed the dog food and went outside. This time I didn't even expect the raccoon to come to me. I didn't even call out to it. I put the food down and walked back across the yard to the patio table where I sat down. Finally, I said "Heidi" once, not expecting much.

And then, in the darkness, I was sure I saw the familiar shadow hanging from the fence. Or was it? Now it was gone. It was just so dark out..and then, yes, it was a raccoon, now on the ground walking over to the food to eat. It saw me, some distance away, but sat down to eat just the same. I was elated!

And, then, ANOTHER raccoon started down the fence!!! There were 2 of them! It was very, very dark out and I had not bothered to turn on the lights - didn't expect to see her. I wasn't sure how many there were total. For a moment I thought they were ALL back! I was sure there were 2, not sure how many more. One was eating, the other stayed about a foot away. There was some growling, some spitting. A raccoon started coming toward me, just like Trouble used to do. I sat still in the darkness, less afraid now that I had spent so much time with them last year. He approached to within 10ft of me and then stood up on his hind legs to inspect me. Suddenly I realized that, just like the times when Trouble had come up to me before, I was holding the container I'd used to carry the food out to them - but it was empty. I had nothing to offer him. He was hungry and the other raccoon had forbid him to eat. I spoke to him. It frightened him, and he turned and ran back toward the fence.

I went back to the house to turn on all of the lights and returned expecting them to be gone. They were not. Even with 2 sets of spotlights trained on them, and me returning, they did not leave. Happy, confused, astonished, I sat down to watch - and to try to figure this out. With the spotlights I could see a lot more. I don't know for sure how many raccoons had been out there, but once the lights were on there were 2. One was slightly larger than the other. The smaller of the 2 was ravinously eating the dog food I'd left. The larger remained about a foot away, restlessly eyeing the food, moving alternately a bit forward then a bit back, unsure...The one that was eating snarled, growled, snapped. I had never seen this level of verbal confrontation. The sounds were much more serious than anything I'd heard from the group last summer. I sat anxious, fearing for what would come next. Then suddenly they hooked up, and I was seeing my first full out brawl. For a moment they became a churning ball of fur with legs poking out in all directions like in the cartoons.

Then, as fast at it had begun, it was over. The larger one was permitted to eat. Now they were both eating. The dry dog food was on the ground where it covered about a 8" radius from which they were now both eating. Slowly, the smaller one, the one that had previously "owned" the food moved to position "herself" so that "she" was on top of most of the food, eating from the outer edge, her body covering most of the food, her butt positioned only a few kibble short of the other edge of the food circle, the other, larger raccoon standing outside the radius, still eating from the perimiter just beyond her rump. Then ever so stealthily, she began to back up, slowly reclaiming the food, the majority of which was now beneath her. Slowly, slowly the larger raccoon was again squeezed out, pushed out of the food radius, not by her mouth/face, but by her backside. Soon he was trying to retreive kibble from under the edge of her fur. Eventually, he gave up and walked away. I was more than a little amazed by this deft maneuver. I should have to remember it for future interactions with colleagues.

As much as I was enjoying the show, I feared for Widget's young "bladder" and my floors, so I went back for him. Even as I brought Widget out on a leash and the larger raccoon fled over the fence and into the forest, the other raccoon, still standing and eating in the light of 4 floodlights, did not leave. It had to be either Heidi or one of the kids. But WHO was the 2nd raccoon? Indeed, who was who? Which was Heidi? Was any of them Heidi? How many were there total?

This I had not expected. The 07 season had begun, but not at all as I had expected. It promised to be an interesting season.

This message was edited Mar 14, 2007 2:10 AM

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Just a guess, Cheryl, but you may have had a glimpse of Heidi and her beau of the season. This would explain the larger coon retreating when you spoke to him; he wouldn't know you, after all. If this was the situation, Heidi was surely the smaller one guarding the food. Raccoon mates don't develop a close or long-standing relationship; he might be welcome to share her bed/branch, but not her special treats! And after all, she would need the food more, with coming young ones to feed, while he goes off elsewhere. Just a guess, and I could be all wrong; will be fascinating to hear the next episodes.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Hi, Ruth, so good to hear your take on this. To be honest I was leaning in that direction, too - thinking the 2nd one might be the boyfriend, but was waiting to get your opinion. You have such great insight into raccoon behavior from your experience with them.

Several aspects of their behavior seemed different from her interactions with the kids last summer. Even the manner in which she reclaimed her food somehow reminded me more of male/female behavior - although I can't articulate a reason for that statement. It was more a "feeling" from observing their behavior, not arrived at by logical deduction. I also thought the difference in size suggested a male and a female.

If it is her beau, will feeding her now be likely to encourage him to stay, too? I need to go and pick up some more dog food for her. I also need to get new adult food for my dog. He's still eating puppy food, and his Dr wants him to switch. Then I can give Heidi the rest of the puppy formula. It's probably hi-test, and she probably needs all the calories she can get right now, anyhow. I read that raccoons particularly love seafood. I was thinking that I might buy her some fresh fish (one of the cheaper varieties, i don't imagine it matters much) when I go to the grocery store again. And if I can remember, I'll check for overripe/marked down fruits/bananas, too.

Oh, as an aside, a couple of nights last week I also put out canteloupe slices and watermellon halves - the ones the size of cantelopes. The 1st night, nothing was left from the watermellon but a paper thin shell. The 2nd night I could not even find that. Not even a spec remained of the canteloupe slices, even the rind. I love mellons, too, especially watermellon; so they should get tons of watermellon this spring/summer and some canteloupe as well.

I'm psyched! I've really missed Heidi.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth, I can't help but notice that you seem to be keeping my hours. LOL. I have to get up for work in a few hours so - not good. It's the allergy season. I can't sleep right now for fear of "drowning".

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Yep, I overslept this AM and was late to work. Slept for 1hr and 19minutes with the alarm going off only inches from my head.

Forgot to mention that I still wonder where Heidi goes for winter and why. Is there some big food supply deep in the forest in winter? Is she hybernating? It just doesn't seem that cold here on the coast. As I mentioned before, only a few nights in late Jan/early Feb dip down to 29F. Most of the winter its maybe 40-50 at night and 60+ by day. Haven't seen even a sprinkling of snow since the late 90's. Still during winter she just isn't around. Food I put out for her in late fall was still on the ground the next morning. (Even Snowball didn't seem to be around. It's like they all go off to some winter camp.) Even the bird feeder is safe in winter. I know that many of you feed the raccoon in winter (in colder regions) so it's a mystery where she goes for winter but it's the same every year.

This is her summer home. It seems like she comes here to raise her kids where she knows she can always count on the bird feeder to sustain her.

Edited to add that the raccoon I saw standing beside the feeder a few nights ago was very thin. I was only a few feet from "it" but on the other side of the shrubs. I could only see the back in the region that would correspond with the waist of a human. It was quite lean. I remember thinking that it did not look like a mother to be. However, if that was Heidi and beau I saw last night, then the thin raccoon at the feeder could have been the new trim Heidi after her recent trip to the winter weight-loss spa and "pre-kids07".

This message was edited Mar 14, 2007 10:41 AM

Oh yeah, I am definitely a night owl, Cheryl: have made many attempts in my life to live on a "normal" schedule, and always hated every minute of it. And I also share the allergy problems, as luck would have it; takes me about half an hour in the morning to get the breathing apparatus working well again. Ain't life grand...

If we're right in guessing that the second raccoon is a hopeful beau for Heidi, you needn't worry that feeding him will encourage him to stick around. Once he's "done the deed," he will be off in search of other females to conquer, and Heidi would not allow him to stick around. And she showed from the behavior over the kibble that she's quite capable of defining and enforcing his boundaries, lol.

I have no experience with raccoons in a warm climate like yours, so can't even speculate where she goes over the winter. In the more northern climate where I worked with them, raccoons didn't truly hibernate, but became much less active and visible in winter. They also typically lost a lot of weight in winter, since food sources were pretty scanty.

Puppy food will do her a world of good, especially since she needs to regain weight lost over the winter. It actually is good for them year-round, since I think their protein requirement is a bit higher than dogs'. I always loved to watch the coons eat canteloupe. They would often use paws to break just a small hole in the melon, then use paws to scrape out the entire contents, leaving just the skin looking like a deflated sports ball. And what a mess: they were coated with melon from face down to front feet, but clearly loved every minute of it. You mentioned seafood, and they do love it; if (as we all hope) you're in for another year of helping to bring up babies, there's an educational feeding adventure the rehabbers used that you could try when the kids are five months old or so. Put a clean old galvanized tub full of water in the backyard and add feeder goldfish from the local pet store; the kids learn an important survival skill from learning to catch the fish. Don't try this if you're really squeamish or have a strong emotional attachment to goldfish; like all beginners, they are a bit inept and messy at first. It's a really valuable lesson for the kids if you can deal with it.

Must say I envy your ability to put those unwanted refrigerator and freezer items to such good use. Makes you feel so guilty and wasteful to just throw out the freezer-burned stuff, etc.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth,

The thing that I find so odd about Heidi's winter disappearances, which seem to be quite habitual, is that she (and the kids as well) left here last fall despite the fact that I was still putting out food and lot of it. I stopped "feeding" her last fall the day I put out a large salmon fillet - probably close to 1lb - along with other food and found most of it (including the fish) still there the next morning. Wherever she goes, it is important enough to leave food on the ground behind her. Moreover, she doesn't appear to be just living deeper in the woods and still making runs through here while out foraging. I say the latter because while she is away, I can leave the bird feeder out overnight. So long as it is protected from squirrels and opposums, it remains untouched until she returns in spring. Odd. Maybe she's like this alley cat that everyone in the neighborhood was feeding, each because he/she felt sorry for the poor stray, and all the while the stray was eating at every house in town, doing better than the cats WITH homes. Maybe Heidi has a winter family on the other side of the forest somewhere, and she comes here when they go North for summer. ; )

I love your idea about the tub of fish. I must do that. I'll feel bad for the fish, but if I just "build" a temporary "water feature" with fish at the back of the garden, and Heidi just happens to borrow it to teach the kids fishing skills, well...that's life. I'm glad you mentioned that, too, because I've been meaning to get a small toddler size wading pool for them to play in. Last year it was obvious how much they enjoy water. Several times they'd try to "scoonch" their bodies into the plastic deli containers I used for their drinking water.

Anyhow, I just returned from a quick run to the grocery store, mostly a "fun" trip for Heidi stuff. I got a couple of marked down catfish fillets, a sizeable bag of frozen whiting, a mid size bag of that fake crab stuff (for both of us), a large bag of unsalted roasted peanuts in the shell, a watermellon (for me but she can have the outer portion), a cantaloupe (edible portion for me if it's sweet but I figure a 75% chance it's not), 3 large bunches of overripe bananas, and a 25 bag of dry dog food. I think we are set for a few days - also still have quite a bit of Eukaneuba puppy food and puppy biscuits that Widget outgrew.

It's been quite busy around here lately, so I haven't spent much time with "them". I did see them 2 nights ago. One was standing on hind legs at the back door (a French door so I can see through it when I turn the light on)looking as though he were about to ring the bell (as if I had one on the back door). His partner in crime was standing some 15 ft away from the pato watching. When I turned the light on the one at the door fled across the yard, his accomplice looking like "Well? What happened? Where are you going? Where's the food? Hey wait a minute, wait for me!"

As both raccoons ran over the fence, I grabbed some dog food and took it out to the feeding area. I left it, returned to the house, and turned off the lights. About 5 minutes later I turned on all of the flood lights and went out to find not 1, not 2, but 5 adult raccoons milling about the food. A smallish one ran and jumped on the fence. I called out, "Heidi" like I used to. The one on the fence paused 1/2 way up and turned to look at me before descending to rejoin the group. That behavior of allowing me to talk him/her down from the fence seemed to indicate a raccoon that had been here last summer.

So now I have no idea "who" the 5 are. If these are Heidi's beaus she is one popular chic. If these are the KIDS from last year, heaven help me. I'm getting a picture of all of them plus all of their kids plus all of the kid's kids...Did I mention that I live in city limits? I think their might be some sort of limit on the number of wild animals one is allowed to "keep" here. Like I said, "it's looking like it's going to be a bumpy ride."

Oh, and while I was only out there for a few minutes, there was substantial hissing, snapping, barking, spitting, growling, and an almost continuous sound reminiscent of the grunts of wild boar. Also, noteable, despite the fact that my sense of smell has been largely nullified by years of cronic allergy/sinus, both nights I could not ignore a somewhat musty odor. While not extremely unpleasant, it was not particularly pleasant either. It was neither an odor that would chase one away nor an odor that one would seek out. "Plain" air would have been preferable.

Ruth, hats off to you and to all of the DG's who, by way of retirement or self-employment or some other flexible business strategy or just by being independently wealthy, have somehow made it "over the wall" and freed themselves from the yoke of 9-5 employment! Bless you all! You are my heroes! I do SO hope to join your ranks someday!!!

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Well, go figure. Tonight I went out at dusk and left 2 catfish fillets - very fresh, no fishy smell - along with 2 out of date yogurts (one was a fruit on the bottom with real guava pieces, a personal favorite), and banana. I waited a few moments, but there was no sign of Heidi, so I went back in side to cut myself a much covetted slice of the watermellon. A little while later I went back outside carrying my less than tasty watermellon slice - clearly it is not yet watermellon season.

Will the surprises never end? I went out to find (much as spartacusaby might have predicted) just one lone raccoon quietly lapping up yogurt. She didn't even seem to flinch as I approached. I sat down at the patio table some 30 ft away. She looked up at me for a moment and then continued eating. She ate the smaller fish fillet and all of the yogurt and fruit. She pulled the 2nd fillet out onto the ground, licked the yogurt off of it, and then carefully licked the container clean - apparently that yogurt really hit the spot tonight - before turning to leave slowly and quietly without bothering to eat the remaining fish.

So much for that "raccoons love seafood" tip. Maybe raccoons, like people, don't all agree as to the best foods. Most people love the salty orange stuff so loosely labelled "cheese" in our society. Food preparers, knowing that "people love cheese" drown everything in it mercilessly. I hate the stuff Yeah, I know how totally strange that is. Everybody loves pizza - except me. Anyhow, Heidi likes dog food. She likes dog biscuits, peanuts, mellons, and chicken. She didn't seem all that fond of catfish. Or maybe she just looked at it and though, "I have a whole pond full of fresh fish. Anyhow, you removed all my favorite parts from this one already."

Or maybe she's out there eating the fish right now. Last summer she only stayed (with me there) long enough to take the edge off her hunger. Then she (and the kids) would leave. No amount of coaxing would persuade them to return. Later, they would return to eat the rest when they could be alone. Now what am I going to do with that bag of whiting fillets?

I walked over, put the watermellon slice down by the fish, called her name softly, and left.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Forgot to mention that I do plan to take photos. Just thought I'd wait a bit to let her get more accustomed to having me around before I start shoving cameras in her face and setting off flashes. I'm hoping to get some kind of critter cam for those impromtu shots as well. But remember, I still don't have such great night time photography skills. Hopefully, as the days get longer and she gets more confortable with me, she'll venture out before dark like she and the kids did last year.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm enjoying the "Heidi" stories. Glad some of your critters have come back. I'm sure Heidi is one of them.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

thank you, tcs. I'm pretty sure of it. The one tonight, for instance, seemed far too approachable and too willing to stick around and eat with me around. I can't imagine that a "new" raccoon who hadn't been here before would be so casual about my company.

I'm glad that you are enjoying the story. Hopefully, by the time Heidi's new babies arrive I'll have more time to spend with them and more interesting observations to relay. Thanks again for being there and for letting me know. (Sometimes when no one comments, I get paranoid and start to think I'm just talking to myself. lol)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

As you know, today I picked up dog food for both Widget and Heidi. If you've heard the news lately, it's more than a little scarey buying dog food these days. I usually by Jim Dandy for the raccoons. Widget usually eats Eukaneuba small breed. The store I went to today didn't have the latter, and given that name brands are usually less likely to do things that might risk killing their customers, I bought IAMs for both of them. Now I get home and find out that both IAMs and Eukanueba are implicated in the recall of products that have caused kidney damage and/or killed. Swell! Now how is one to figure out which brand to buy. It's like grocery store Russian Roulette out there. For dogs, raccoons, and people!

I haven't opened or used the food yet. I'll go online and make sure it is not on the recall list. I believe the recall only involves canned foods; I bought dry. Still, as they may be using the same facilities to package both, now I'm afraid to use any...Thankfully, all of the products I've been using for both Widget and Heidi were purchased last year, and we've already tried all of them without incident. Not sure what to do when the current stuff runs out though. If the current trend continues we may all have to move to a homestead somewhere and grow/raise our own food.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I'd think you could call the store and see if you can return it as you are uneasy about feeding your animals the food. even though it's dry, I'd be leery too. I cant recall the brand we feed ours, but it wasn't in the list... I think I use Science Diet.

as for Heidi Watch... when i first found the WildLife forum, i saw the cute lil pics of the babies, and went back to read the entire story from the beginning. You are very blessed to have such creatures visit you... and trust you, as Heidi seems to. I loved the pics of the babes - the day that one was in the lil wheeled seat. so cute!!

terese

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

terese, many times over this past winter I have pondered the magic of the experience Heidi brought to my life last summer. Sometimes it seems almost to good to be real, like something I would have dreamt of as a child. I still wonder at how Heidi always seemed to know that I wouldn't hurt her, even way back when we 1st met that day a few years ago when I found her eating from the feeder at 10AM on a sunny Saturday morning in broad daylight. I'll never forget when I threw that can of soup "at" her (but really beside her) to scare her away, and she just walked calmly over and picked it up as if she thought I was tossing her a gift. Then I ran inside, grabbed the broom, and went after her waving the broom over my head. I had to laugh at myself when she called my bluff and stood there looking at me. I got 1/2 way across the lawn and thought, "great now what?"

I was watching a nature show recently (not about raccoons). They said that wild animals that survive in close proximity to people become adept at determining who is and is not a threat. That doesn't mean they will risk coming to us unless they need to for some reason. In Heidi's case she had 5 tiny babies just over the fence, and she had been around me for years. For years we had been having this springtime struggle over feeder rights. (She has destroyed so many of my bird feeders over the last few years.) And there is always a chance that Heidi may also have been raised by people who let her go when she grew up, either a rehabber or someone who "stole" her for a pet and let her go when she became an unruly adolescent.

When I 1st moved here the back yard was the typical open rectangle with grass. I couldn't even coax the birds to venture in to try out the new bird feeder I put up when I arrived. A cardinal would sometimes sit on the back fence at the forest edge and eye the feeder longingly before flying away. I learned that they were uncomfortable in that open expanse of lawn with no cover. I planted a few trees and turned the whole thing into a cottage garden with gently winding paths bordered by all manner of flowers and shrubs, all leading to a small patch of lawn. Now ALL of the forest critters seem to consider "my" yard just another part of the adjoining forest. I spend a lot of time out there working, taking photos, etc. They get accustomed to having me around. I have birds fluttering all around me now when I'm out there. It's really quite magical. I'm sure all the shrubs and such make Heidi and company feel more at home here, too.

Anyhow, I recall several times in past years when I'd go out back at night and see Heidi's eyes peering at me through the rose bushes. She'd been out there foraging. Instead of running away, she had ducked behind a shrub to watch and wait for me to go back inside.Apparently, over time she became reasonably convinced I wasn't a threat.

If you read the very beginning of the 1st thread you know that when she came out of the forest that day last spring and started following me around the yard, I tried to chase her back. I thought it was dangerous to have her coming into the yard that way. I took my rake (plastic) and threw it at the fence and she was ON the fence. I didn't throw it very close, didn't want to risk hitting her. She would go up the fence and then come right back down a minute later. I thought, "What does this crazy raccoon want?"

After a few iterations of her coming over the fence and me "chasing" her she got where she wouldn't even leave when I threw the rake at the fence. She just seemed to know I wasn't going to hit her - or maybe she thought I had terrible aim. Looking back I still marvel at that. She was right, though. I also still laugh when I "see" myself flailing the ground with my rake (like an idiot) to try and look tough. All I managed to do was break the rake handle. Heidi stood firm. I sailed the dog's soft fabric frisbee at the fence a few times and eventually sent it sailing over into the forest - had to buy another one. All that silliness, and Heidi just kept coming back over the fence.

Yes, it has been a great experience.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

BTW, hours ago when I took Widget out for his walk, the fish was gone along with all traces of the mellon slice, rind included. Just like last year, she apparently came back over the fence as soon as I left and turned off the lights.

I agree it's strange that Heidi leaves a readily available food source in winter; have no clue why, but instinct and ingrained behavior are pretty darn durable. She's probably following some kind of ingrained imperative that makes no sense to us. Five adults?? She must be one sexy raccoon... Best guess is she's very close to coming into season, and drawing boys like bees to honey. Don't be alarmed if, some night soon, you hear sounds in the forest like someone is being murdered; they tend to be pretty vocal about the whole process.

Boy how I wish I were independently wealthy. Made a couple real mistakes in job choices a few years back - long story - and now make do with a variety of truly boring part-time jobs. The only upside of it all that is that I can do it on my schedule, which beats the heck out of trying to turn a night owl into an early bird.

Don't get me started on the pet food industry: one of my pet (no pun intended) peeves, and a pretty shocking story as you learn more about it. Have you read a book called "Food Pets Die For"? Well-documented research, very readable, and very very disturbing.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the warning (vocals). Did you see that there was only one raccoon tonight? I stayed out there until "she" left. No other raccoons ever came over the fence. I was hoping maybe the fireworks had already ended - and I missed it.

Job mistakes, tell me about it. Since we have to make a lot of our career choices before we have any idea what we are doing or even who we are, it's a wonder anybody gets it right. I chose my career because I wanted to be challenged (and like computers). Well, that was true at the time; now my brain hurts, and I find that I could be very happy just hanging out, playing in the dirt, and watching things grow.

I will have to check out that book although I'm afraid of what I'll find. Does it indicate where we might find safe pet food? I'm so confused. I used to think that real food would be better for the dog than something manufactured. Then with my last dog the vet kept fussing at me about feeding the dog "food". Silly me. I thought that's probably what they were eating before they met us. She made it sound like pet abuse or something. I started wondering what she thought dogs ate before pet food was invented AND if pet food is so perfect for dogs why we don't have bags of kibble for humans.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I saw something written once -- when you look at meat eaters (big cats, etc) and herbivores (cows, pigs, etc) which one is leaner?

I try to buy "good" dog food.... but really -- what is in there?? Do i really wanna know?

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

hi, Cheryl. I've been waiting all winter for this :0) missed your wonderful posts as much as I missed the raccoons .

jan (aka gram)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Oh, jan, thank you! What a wonderful compliment! Good to see you again.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

tcs, hmm, I think whoever wrote that quote is guilty of false logic. I don't want to get into the meat vs veggies controversy (I think both are fine), but as it seems relevant to the topic of how bad the dog food industry is, I feel compelled to point out that cows and pigs are not particularly good examples of natural herbivores. Both have been thoroughly adulterated by humans. We feed cows animal protein (including other cows) which they would never knowingly consume. We also fatten them up with everything from hormones to steroids to antibiotics. (I think pigs may be omnivores.) None of the animals we raise for food exist in a "natural" state. All are unnaturally fattened. Chickens are a good example as wild birds never have that kind of fat on them. Among other things, chickens are routinely given antibiotics not to cure or prevent illness but because it has been found to increase their girth. Unfortunately, these abnormally fattened animals are not particularly good for us - or our pets.

In the wild, neither carnivores nor herbivores are inclined to carry an inch of extra fat (except for those that need it for insulation in extreme cold). If the carnivores get fat they can't catch up with their dinner; if the herbivores get fat, they ARE dinner. Deer are a good example of a natural herbivore, and by natural I mean one that we haven't altered yet. Anyone who has lived around a deer hunter and cooked venison knows that the meat is so lean that when we grind it for "hamburger" or sausage we have to add atleast a little fat to get it to hold together. It's so lean that we can add fat to the "hamburger" and still end up with something lowfat compared to beef or pork.

Oops, sorry, don't get me started on this subject. I need to write my own "Food Humans Die For" book. But another day.

Well, as to the dog food issue, now it has gotten so bad that the latest recommendation (CNN) is [until the problem is resolved] to feed dogs a 50:50 mix of plain chicken breast and steamed rice over sweet potatoe supplemented with vitamins. Ouch, it's that bad out there? I don't have time to cook for ME much less the dog. It's a good thing my dog is a 5lb'er. I'd hate to be buying (and cooking) chicken breast for a rotweiller or St Benard.

And what am I supposed to feed the raccoons on those days when I run out of leftovers? I like having the dog food around as a filler. I guess I could cook up some rice and popcorn, but that wouldn't meet their protein needs. Legumes would help with protein but I don't have time to all that soaking and cooking - not on week days. I guess for now I'll continue to use the food I have left from last year.

Tonight I put out fresh raw catfish, bananas, and some ham scraps. I didn't have time to stick around, but as usual it quickly disappeared without a trace.

We've got two distinct issues going here, food for Widget and food for Heidi and the other raccoons.

Please, you don't really need to worry about feeding the raccoons standard dog or puppy kibble, Cheryl. These guys are basically omnivores, though they lean toward the carnivorous side to enhance their protein intake. Think about their diet in a wild, unassisted state: bugs, fish and small rodents when they can catch them, bird eggs, fruit, veggies, the occasional dumpster, garbage can or bird feeder raid, sometimes carrion. They have digestive systems of cast-iron compared to our highly bred and pampered dogs and cats; especially with your frequent supplementation with "leftovers," those guys are eating really really well.

With domestication comes a much higher level of responsibility from owners because we have created creatures often incapable of surviving on their own (know I'm preaching to the choir here). With all due respect, the vet years back who denigrated your attempts to feed "real" food was truly full of it. There is a whole movement now to feed natural and raw diets to dogs and cats, a movement that now has a good bit of support among the veterinary community. That said, it is very difficult, on one's own, to create a truly balanced diet at home: difficult and very very time-consuming. There are frozen balanced raw diets on the market that seem to do very well, but they can be hard to find in some areas of the country (like this one), and they are pricey.

It is possible to find safe, balanced and healthy formulas of both dry and canned dog and cat food; but I have to tell you I wouldn't feed any of the brands from the grocery on a bet. [If you read the book I mentioned, this will make much more sense.] We long since switched our dogs and cats over to strictly the premium brands from smaller manufacturers who really study pet nutrition and have strict quality control on their product. These foods are admittedly more expensive per pound than the grocery brands, but: you feed a bit less, because they truly are complete and satisfying; you see a real difference in the animal's coat and condition within weeks; and you can rest easy without worrying about what exactly is in that kibble. Have no idea what your sources are like in Charleston, but I can recommend a store up in my old VA stomping grounds that would talk to you and advise you on good foods for Widget. The owner, Terri Grow, really helped to educate me on pet nutrition over the years.Their website is www.petsage.com; don't remember their phone number offhand, but no doubt it's on the website. Tell them that Ruth Bauer, who used to work at the Alexandria shelter, recommended them to you for advice on diet. And just remember that if you switch Widget's diet, do so very gradually. Compared to grocery brands, the super premium foods are like rocket fuel; need to give his body time to adjust to the change, or you can get transitory diarrhea.

Back to raccoons! If you saw only one tonight, it's possible Heidi has chosen her mate and all is said and done; would be about the right time of year, since she seems to have just one litter a year. Perhaps you should give this year's crew Irish names, since they may have begun around St. Patrick's Day (lol). Take care-
Ruth

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Ruth. Lots of really good info in there.

Just one question though. With regard to Heidi, were you saying "don't worry, with a cast iron stomach she can eat the dog food" or "don't worry, she can get by w/o dog food to supplement the other things I give her". If the latter, some days I have little or no available scraps. Guess I could buy more sunflower seeds and give her some of them.

After this I definitely will look into a better food for Widget. I just didn't realize that the ones in the store, esp the name brands, weren't good for him. I chose Eukanuba for him because they made a food specific to small breed puppies. As far as cost goes, Widget is so tiny and eats such a negligible amount that the cost of feeding him is small regardless of what I feed him. Ironically, I buy him tons of special toys and treats and such. I just never realized about the food. He likes it, and it never occurred to me that it might be dangerous. As to real food, I give Widget quite a bit of lean chicken breast, veggies, sweet potatoes, and some fruit and whole grains from time to time despite what the vet said.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

yes -- thanks for the site.... I found one that isn't much more than i'm paying now -- just hope the s/h charges aren't too high.

Sorry for the confusion, Cheryl; I meant that Heidi and company could handle standard grocery kibble in addition to your supplementing with leftovers. [Obviously I'd avoid the brands currently under recall...] One of the many problems with grocery brands of pet food is the quality, i.e. source, of the protein. Many use byproducts to make up a good percentage of the protein, and this is not very usable protein for the animal: e.g. chicken byproducts includes beaks, feet and feathers. They also often use soy to up the protein percentage, and soy is useless to obligate carnivores like cats, minimally useful to dogs. I won't go into some of the other problems, like preservatives that are known carcinogens... Omnivores like the coons can probably make use of this stuff, though obviously better food makes for better nutrition. I just don't want you to feel you need to bankrupt yourself buying premium food for the coons: compared to most of their brethren, your crew eat like royalty!

Iams/Eukanuba is actually a sad story. Years ago, they were considered premium foods, and their quality was pretty consistent. Then they were bought by Proctor & Gamble, and the quality tanked.. Now the best you can say for them is that they're about the best available at the grocery (present recall aside, of course). The recall is a real object lesson in the value of buying premium food; by the time a recall is issued, it's already too late for a lot of animals. So sad and so unnecessary...

Tcs, glad you found the Petsage website, and hope you'll enjoy working with them as much as I have. They're good folks with a world of knowledge, and I completely trust the products they market since they research the heck out of them before deciding to market.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thanks for the clarification, Ruth. And thanks for the web link and recommendation. I do plan to contact them ASAP regarding Widget's diet. The good news for Heidi is that I loose a lot of stuff in the back of the fridge and forget about stuff in those bins at the bottom (out of sight, out of mind, esp at my age), and get to busy and/or lazy to cook the stuff that looked good in the store; so all in all she gets a lot more real food than pet food.

Last night I put out a whole watermellon, maybe 18"Lx10"W. All that was missing was the 3" section I'd removed from the end 2 days earlier. I too rushed and too exhausted to find a knife and cut it in half. I dropped it on the ground hoping it would break open, but no such luck. As it was quite large in diameter, I left it knowing that she would be able to "climb inside" to eat reach everything - and she certainly did. By midnight only a thin shell remained with no red and very little white showing. I sure wish I could have seen that!

These days it looks like she just comes over the fence, eats at her designated feeding station, and leaves. I don't see her or any signs of her anywhere in the yard now.

The information you provided on the dog food was quite interesting and informative. I look forward to reading the book you recommended. I just had no idea. I figured they used some of the perfectly edible and nutritious parts that we humans would rather not think about, but not beaks and such. This has been a lesson.

The carcinogen part is of particular interest to me because I acquired Widget 1.5 yrs ago after I lost my 11 yr old Maltese to cancer. 11 may sound old but for a Maltese (normal life span 15-20yrs) it's quite premature. She and I had been together for SO long, and she was such a good, well trained, well behaved dog. I was devestated at the loss. The interesting thing is that she had survived several bouts with cancer of different types before finally succoming to the particularly fast paced and deadly hemangosarcoma (sp?), a cancer of the blood vessels that is virutally 100% fatal and which kills its victims within 2-3mo. At the age of 2 she suffered the worst kind of mamary cancer. They surgically removed ALL of her mamaries, and the poor thing came home with a gash from her neck to her groin. When the biopsy results came back from the lab, a dark cloud descended over the vets face as she told me the name (which I forgot). They had taken a wide margin around the cancer and hoped they had gotten it all, but gave Sassy only a mimimal chance of surviving more than 6mo. Aside from her surgeries from which she bounced back much faster than I would have, she lived 9 more happy, bouncy, fun filled years during which I scanned her frequently for any "bumps". I found 2 more which were also surgically removed, 1 benign, 1 a different and less deadly form of cancer. After she made it 5 yrs or so, they said statistically her chances of living a normal live span were good. Then around age 8 her liver enzymes took a nose dive. Fearing that the earlier cancer had metastesized they did a liver biopsy - which required cutting her open yet again! Her liver showed no sign of cancer. 3 years later she died very abruptly of yet a 3rd form of cancer.

Sassy refused to eat dry dog food so throughout her life, she ate the canned stuff and table scraps. Once she became gravely ill (requiring IV liquids) with pancreatitis. It was at that point that the vet, who had long been fussing with me about giving her "people food", shamed me into believing that I had made her so sick by feeding her non-pet food. (In view of the information you've given, that seems questionable now, but I believed it at the time and stopped feeding her real food altogether after that.) During her short life, poor Sassy lived through several major surgeries. I called her my $10,000 dog (not because she cost anywhere near that much but because because of the mounting cost of her medical and surgeries over the decade+). I never even thought to consider pet food as a possible culprit. I always just thought that she had drawn a bad hand from the genetic deck. That's why, when searching for Widget, I went to one of the top breeders of champion show dogs and paid a frightful sum to purchase him and have him flown here on Delta. I didn't want a show dog; I was just hoping to get one with better DNA. Thanks so much for the heads up on the food problem.

Oh, and last night as I was removing the dog food from my car I noticed that it is not IAMs afterall. I forgot that once last year when Widget ran out of food, I bought a smallish bag of IAMs at the local grocery store because they didn't have the Eukanuba. With days he started itching terribly and scratching all of his hair out in chunks - which had never happened before. The vet said he might be allergic to something in the IAMs and to stop feeding it immediately. I gave the rest of the IAMs to Heidi and the kids. Thankfully, Widget has been fine ever since - had it not been the food the other possibility was the dreaded seasonal allergies.

Anyhow, I actually bought 1 bag of Hunter's Choice and 1 bag of Purina One. Although I thought I heard the Purina name mentioned in association with this mess, neither of these brands is on the recall list. Do you think it is safe for Heidi then? I bought 1 bag of Hunter's Choice for Heidi last year. Not only did she and the kids enjoy it, but one day Widget got into it and found that he liked a few chunks of it for a change from time to time. Despite being a less expensive variety than IAMs, the Hunter's Choice has never provoked any allergic response from him.

Thanks again for all the great info. I find it ironic that the vet (we've now changed, BTW) who understood that Widget might be effected by the type of "protein" in the IAMs did not bother to tell me the rest of the story as you have.

Edited (1) to clarify that the concept of the $10k dog was [jokingly] based on the cost of medical care not the actual dog and (2) to say, "whew!" I really wrote a book that time.

This message was edited Mar 20, 2007 1:55 PM

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Among the many rewarding aspects of feeding the raccoons is the fact that they appreciate anything I offer them as long as it's remotely edible. They may eat some things before others but ultimately they always clean their plant and they never stick their nose up and say, "but I don't like [fill in name of any of the many foods my dogs would rather die than eat]." The are thankful for whatever they are given, and that's refreshing.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

It's funny you mention that.... I bought this Rabbit food to feed the bunnies -- they seem to pick out all the dehydrated "veggie" type snacks, but really will not eat the alfalfa nuggets. But i'll toss all sorts of stuff out for the rabbits... romaine lettuce and carrot shavings seem to be their favorites... but i also noticed (by the stool) my neighbors Lab would eat all the carrots i left... so now, i find a small area in my yard i put them (Under my fireplace chimney). They can snack in peace -- not bothered by my dog... though he doesn't eat the veggies.

I've noticed over the years, 'Coons will pretty much eat anything.

I'm sure the Hunter's Choice and Purina One are fine for Heidi and company. As tcs noted, they will eat virtually anything, and can actually digest and benefit from it. The recalled brands are a different matter: grains can produce some very toxic substances when they spoil, and even raccoons might have big problems there.

Allergens are another big problem with the grocery brands, as you discovered with Widget. In addition to the poor quality protein, many brands use a lot of corn and wheat as fillers, and these are two of the major allergens for both cats and dogs. Just FYI, many vets are far from authorities on pet nutrition; nutrition is an elective course at many vet schools, so many have not studied it at all.

What a sad story about your previous Maltese: she really tried hard to survive despite the odds, didn't she? Know exactly what you mean about the $10K dog. Years ago I had a rescue Shar Pei, who was the love of my life; but boy, is that a medically intensive breed. Eye problems, allergies, skin problems, thyroid problems, etc., etc. When I adopted her, my vet said he hoped I liked him a lot because I would be seeing a whole lot of him: he was so right. Adored the dog, though, and wouldn't trade a day or it. Would love to have another one day, but can no longer afford to voluntarily take on that level of veterinary care.

Wish you could've gotten a photo of Heidi crawling inside that big watermelon: that would have been priceless... And yes, isn't it lovely to feed the wild ones who are grateful for any contribution, and never tell you it's too hot, too cold, too stale, etc., etc.?

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

I'm so glad Heidi is back. I've watched every thread. You write so well it's like being there

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Thank you so much, Floridian! I'm glad that YOU are back. And may I just say one more time how much I enjoyed and continue to enjoy your critter cam photo of the raccoon "riding" on the boar's back: http://davesgarden.com/place/fp.php?pid=2821484
That is hillarious. I still can't figure out what the raccoon is doing on the boar's back, but many of the suggestions people came up with are hillarious. This is right out of some Pixar flick in which the animals converse and cooperate with each other when we aren't around.

I missed all of you as much as I did Heidi and the kids. You "guys" may not know how serious I am when I say how very important each of you is to the enjoyment of the Heidi experience. To illustrate, my colleages consist of a dozen or so males [who are all approx 30]. I love them; don't get me wrong. But they are currently somewhere else on life's path and are unable to comprehend the joy of wildlife and of gardening. Once or twice [when it seemed to fit the conversation] I made the mistake of mentioning Heidi at work. I may never live that down. They STILL bring it up - as a [friendly] joke. Unfortunatly, my [non-virtual] friends are no better at appreciating why stopping to smell the roses and interact with the creatures does not necessarily mean you have too much time on your hands. Trust me. Not everyone appreciates wildlife, or even pets. And it is at moments like those when I have tried to share the wonder of wildlife with my friends and co-workers that I have fully understood just how important you folks really are to my enjoyment of the experience - because you fulfill the need for someone to share it with. (Oh and BTW I also made the .mistake of sharing the photo of the raccoon riding the boar. Didn't work.)

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Ruth, you are incredible. I wrote a mini-book in a single post and then realized that I'd buried a question in there somewhere - and, thankfully, you found it!

There will be many more watermelons this summer more than a few of which are likely to end up going to Heidi and company. Maybe I'll get a photo op in time. I'm stilling waiting to see that scene you describe with the raccoon covered in overripe melon. When we get to peak melon season I'll have to remember to look for those marked down cantaloupes that are past their prime

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

Just came back from spying on Heidi. I hadn't seen her for a few days. I've just been too busy. Each day I go out to put her dinner back by the fence. I always call to her just as I did early last summer - to get her to associate her name with dinner. I really believe she "remembers" me though much like Ruth described with the momentary reunion of rehabers with their prior rehabees. Tonight when I went out she was heading back over the fence when I called to her. Again, she stopped and stood atop the fence looking at me.Then the neigbor's dog barked, and with that she disappeared into the forest. I was unable to coax her to return. Still, each time I call to her when she is leaving, she stops. If nothing scares her (like the dog), she usually comes back down. I figure if she didn't have some memory, however distant, of last summer, there would be no reason for her to stop (while fleeing - her instinctive reaction to the approach of a human) and even sometimes return.

I keep trying to remind myself that I'm in too much of a hurry. Afterall, last year it was mid April before she even made contact with me, and after that I spent a month or more tossing food over the fence to her without ever even seeing her, before finally moving towards those magical up close experiences I'm so eager to get to right now.

Heidi was again alone. I believe that we are around the end of week 1 of 9 in the countdown to a new bunch of cute little babies. Today I ordered Chinese delivery. I ususally get several meals at once and store them in the fridge. I got egg foo young. I never use the sweet "gravy" or sauce that comes with it, so I stirred about 1/2 of the sauce into a pint of white rice along with a chopped banana and a few handfuls of dog biscuits (left from last summer, so they're safe) for her dinner. I included the sauce because that particular 1 is not salty. It's thick and roughly the color of gravy, and tastes very much like a sweetened version of gravy. I figured the oil, thickener, and sugar would provide calories if not nourishment. I included the dog biscuits for protein; these are puppy biscuits I bought last year for Widget so they list chicken as the 1st ingredient. Heidi is quite thin, so I figure she needs to plump up a bit to support her growing brood. Tonight from the side view she almost looked like a tall, thin cat, not at all the size she was when she left here last fall.

Oh, and today on the news I heard that it's not enough to simply check the dog food recall list and then stop worrying if your brand is not on the list. They are still ADDING names, so you have to keep checking. What a nightmare. I am so glad that I still have a cache of food and treats left from last year to keep us going until (1) I have time to order new food for Widget and (2) they finish the bad brands list so I can decide whether to feed the newly purchased food to Heidi. (It's not a good deed to feed her if I end up poisoning her however unintentional.

Yes, it's true that they're still adding brands to the recall list, and will probably do so for some time as they track down where all the bad wheat went (there's a tongue-twister). At this point I truly think the only safe course is to avoid all grocery brands for the time being: virtually all store brands are now listed, including WalMart's and PetSmart's, plus some Iams, Eukanuba, Science Diet, Nutro, etc., etc. Surprisingly, I've not yet seen any Purina or Pedigree formulas on the list, so that might be a safe choice for Heidi for the moment: she can handle all the corn, coloring, and preservatives in their formulas.

Don't you just hate trying to share a great experience with someone, only to get blank looks or worse, have it treated as a joke? Story of my life, too: learned long since that when people talk about their families, they don't want to hear about my animals - though they are my family, darn it. Oh well, you have an eager and receptive audience here for all the raccoon adventures!

Do be patient with Heidi; as you said, it's early days in a long season. If she has conceived, the need for food will in time overcome her remaining wariness around you; and the behavior you describe when you talk to her leaves no doubt that she does remember you.

Charleston, SC(Zone 9a)

I try to remember not only that it is her natural instinct to avoid humans - and one that no doubt has served her well - but also that she has been many places and had many experiences since she left here last fall. Any humans with whom she may have come in contact were more likely to have chased her away than to have reacted favorably to her presence. As we say with horses, for better or worse, every rider trains the horse. It is likely that others have trained Heidi in my (or her) absence.

It is wonderful to be able to share the experience with others who can appreciate it!

Now that you have explained the situation to me, I will definitely get the best quality food for Widget, not just for now but for good - no looking back. Tonight as I was doing some much, much needed cleaning I found Heidi's food from last year. It's in a fairly large, plastic container made for storing pet food. I know it is fine because not only did Heidi and the kids eat it last fall, but as I mentioned Widget found some and decided that he liked it for the occaisional change of pace; so he has eaten some, too. I probably have some 20-25lbs of that left. Between that and the remainder of Widget's puppy food and several boxes of puppy biscuits, we should have adequate time to be sure the new stuff doesn't get put on the list before we need to use it. I'm glad, however, to hear that you think the Purina will probably be ok should I need to use it before they get to the bottom of the pet food mess.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.