Trees for containers in 7a: Suggestions?

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Greetings Wise Ones!

I have two large pots that I bought at a "Tuesday Morning" sale. If you live near one, they have garden stuff out at the moment and hundreds of beautiful containers in all sizes.

I'd like to have a matching set of trees in my two to frame the walk to my back door. I've wanted to do this since I moved it here, but I've not been able to afford the pots. This is my year! Yeah!

I'm zone 7a, outside of Baltimore, but near the water, so I do get some wind. During high winds, I can move them to shelter very easily. I googled the kinds recommended, but mostly people are trying to sell me something.

What kind of tree will grow really well and happily in a container in my area? My gardens are purples, pinks, with dashes of whites and yellows. I have lots of dogwood, so I'm looking for something different that will be interesting and welcoming.

Anyone have some advice? Is there a link somewhere to a previous post on the topic taht I can also check out? I don't want to make a mistake. I hope that these babies will be with me for a long time!

Elf

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

Maybe some Japanese maples? Check out the maples forum, alot of these will do quite well in containers. I'm just a little south of you, in NOVA, & I had 3 in glazed pots & 2 in nursery pots do well over the winter. Japanese maples are available in so many sizes & forms that I'm sure you could find something you like...

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

Minture Apricot

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.