recommend a nursery?

Northeast Harbor, ME

What are people's favorite online nurseries for buying hardy ferns?

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I've always wondered about ordering from here: http://www.fancyfronds.com/ - haven't checked in watchdog yet.

Santa Maria, CA

Fancy Fronds is safe.
Judith is very well versed and experienced in ferns.
Her expertise extends also into Selaginella!!

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I figured so. She seems to know her plants.

This message was edited Mar 13, 2007 4:44 PM

Northeast Harbor, ME

Thanks, growin and JerryCopeland. I'll check out FancyFronds. I'll be interested in the Selaginella too. I'll admit to not knowing very much about them but I did buy one once to put in a large pot that had a single stemmed vine growing out of it and not much else. It has done very nicely at covering the soil in the pot so I might be interested in more.

I'm looking for small (under 8inch) hardy ferns for planting with small hostas and miniature irises. We have a swell humid, cool, coastal enviroment up here and mini landscapes turn out to be quite charming.

I was outside over the weekend and looked up to see what appeared to be a piece of cloth in one of my larches. Some large piece of lichen had blown off a neighboring tree and had landed in the other. I don't usually see the stuff so big. It's a pale green wispy thing that dangles from tree limbs around here and was about 18" long. I've never known what it is but sure is purdy. Anyway, I'm just typing away in a babbling fashion. Probably shoulda just kept it at "thank you".

Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Hi, Watersedge,

www.siskiyourareplantnursery.com specializes in alpine and rock garden plants, many of which are very small. They rate well on the Garden Watchdog. I have two little maidenhair ferns (adiatum venustum) from them. It's not in their current catalogue but maybe they have something else that you'd like for your miniature landscapes. The mini landscapes do sound charming. Do you have pictures of them?

Loretta

Northeast Harbor, ME

lorettamar, Thanks for the recommendation. Ultimately, I've ended up trying out Big Dipper Farm. They had everything that I was looking for. their selection was quite large. Now for the test, though, what's the quality?

I don't have any photos. I have always been poor at documenting my work. I think, however, that I'll take a lot more photos this summer so that I can innundate you all next winter with lots of stuff. I'm an estate gardener so I'll have a bunch to share.

Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I'm glad that you found what you were looking for. Good luck with your new little ones.

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

Tom Goforth at Crow Dog Native Fern and Gardens is a great place for ferns that are native to eastern North America. He is extremely knowledgeable and heavy into conservation.

http://www.crowdognativeferns.com/

Seaford, NY(Zone 7a)

Shooting star nursery has some good ferns (I just planted some today). I have also ordered from Prairie Moon Nursery (last year) and the ferns are all doing well. The other online nursery I have used does not seem to be in business anymore (Mountain mist nursery). It's a shame because they had the best prices. (maybe that's why they are defunct).

Northeast Harbor, ME

Loretta, I finally have a picture for you.

Thumbnail by watersedge
North West, OH(Zone 5b)

How beautiful Edge! Is that a maple in the center?

Northeast Harbor, ME

It is a maple, a weeping Japanese Maple called 'Green Cascade'. The house in the background is a replica of the house I work at (I'm the head gardener on an estate) and it's a cat house.

Brunswick, MD(Zone 6b)

Watersedge, how was your experience with Big Dipper Farm. Everything you hoped for? I've often thought about ordering from them.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I order from Big Dipper farm quite a lot. The only caveat is that you should call before you place your order to see whether they really have your plants in stock. One time I was disappointed when they filled the order without one thing which was out of stock. That's why I always call now. That seems to work fine.

Northeast Harbor, ME

I agree with doss. The plants were good but not all available. I got some really great small ferns for this garden but haven't got around to installing them yet.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I should say that I also have ordered from Judith at Fancy Fronds. It sort of depends on who has what. I find that the small ferns do better if they spend a season in a pot before being put in the ground though.

Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Watersedge,

That looks so nice. And the little house is great!

Loretta

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Watersedge,
I love the 'lattice' wall, actually what do you call it? What a great way to keep the neighbors out and not close yourself and your view in.

Sterling, VA(Zone 6b)

One place that I have read really good comments about is Deep Roots Nursery (http://www.deeprootsnursery.com/). I checked them in Watchdog and they have 18 positive ratings (http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/2789/). I do not recall if the owner posts here at Dave's or over at GardenWeb (or both). They have good prices and I have been real tempted to submit an order. They are in Georgia, which in something to keep in mind if you happen to live in Maine.

- Brent

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Just went to their site and they say that they aren't currently selling any plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.