**CLOSING ON MY BARIATRIC WEIGHT GOAL**

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Back in November of 05 my weight fluctuated on and off and as high as 338lbs. At age 68yrs old I knew and my cardiologist knew that it was a short time for me as I already had a severe myocardial infarction and they brought me back. From that point to the next nine years my actions and my life were severly limited as I was always in pain caused by Post Poli Syndrome, severe arthritis, duodenal ulcer, carpul tunnel in both hands, back, neck, shoulder,(both) severe weakness in legs(could not walk 50') horrible continous pain and thus came depression. I just didn't care anymore! However my grandson gave me a reason to live one day when he ran to me (2yrs old) threw his arms around me and said "I love you Jagee" and gave me a big hug. It is indescribeable the feeling that coursed through my body giving me a new outlook on life and realizing that He Needs Me!
My cardiologist, Dr Larwrence Reiss recommended Bariatric surgery and so it all began with a famous bariatric surgeon Dr Thomas Bass. I can never thank these two men enough. On 3/12/06 after a ten day delay because of a cold my surgery was performed. On that day I already lost 30lbs on a liquid diet to make it safer for surgery and I weighed 308lbs.
So here I am now on 03/12/07 weighing as of four days ago 237lbs. I only weigh myself once a week and that is on a Friday morning. My goal weight was 195lbs but my primary doctor whom I've known for almost twenty-five years thinks that would be to low for me and reminded me that I am not as young as I used to be plus I am a big man and I would probably look emanciated and should finish at 220 or 225lbs but I want to get to a size 38 pants considering I was a 54+ at the very beginning and am now a very loose 44. So that's my story so far They say reaching a goal weight and losing as I have is excellent. So hang in there with me? In the business world I was known for breaking records and reaching my goals so I don't intend to stop now.....
TED alias TPLANT

This message was edited Mar 12, 2007 5:05 PM

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

T-plant,

I found you! Congratulations again. Better to find a safe healthy weight that's easy to maintain than to torture yourself to try to get to what you imagined would be a good weight!

xxxxx, Carrie

True! I'll see how I feel as I continue to lose weight. Weight loss will also detur my post polio syndrome which can become very debillating if I neglect certain requirements like no over exertion such as excercise other than walking and gardening. The heaviest container mix I buy is 2 cu ft and I will go to 1 cu ft, although more expensive, not to exert myself. Stress is a very important factor to avoid and I do buy avoiding anything that I can not handle. The Serenity Prayer comes in real handy for this purpose and of course obesity is the very worst.
At the doctor's today the results of my blood profile came back perfect! That really made me feel good as I haven't had a positive result for many,many years. Don't get me wrong? I'm no angel when it comes to eating the forbidden "'apple'" but the best part is I can only eat a half cup. So you see I can eat whatever I want but really don't miss the junk food. My doctor was again very pleased with my results although according to his records I only lost two pounds for the month? I weighed in at 237 lbs. They also took my picture today as it is my one year anniversary from surgery or a couple days late but I forgot to ask them what they will do with it and if I could have a copy? I'll find out later on but meanwhile "Happy Living!"

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Tplant I don't post much but I read every Friday (or when you post) to see your results. I think what you've done is just amazing!

Saint

Why Thank You! It is because people like you have stayed by my "side" to help me to do the right thing. I've been out in my garden this morning transplanting my seedlings of peppers and eggplants as they have been doing very well along with all my flower seedlings. I raise everything from seed and had to break down this season and buy four hybrid tomatoes because of a virus wiping out my crop. I am just amazed how my STABILITY HAS IMPROVED AND I CAN STAND AND WALK SUBSTANTIAL DISTANCES. Working in my garden has become a pain free joy for me and with this beautiful weather I usually am out most all day till dark even if I just sit and admire my work. The weather has been perfect and to shade myself from the sun and still do my work I have a 10'x10' tent and being that there is always a breeze it is quite cool under it. I even purchased a 10' extension cord so I can sit out on my deck with my computer. What a life!!!

Guess what? Just weighed-in at 233lbs down four for the week. The tuesday adjustment did the trick. I lost more in one week than in one month. I didn't think I needed an adjustment but my doctor suggested that he adjust it a little so he added a litle more saline to the band.
Just can not believe the stamina that I have acquired. Not only am I raising tomatos and melons but also beautiful flowers such as Plumeria, Brugmansia, Datura, Iris, Sweet Pea, Marigold, (many varieties)Madagascar Jasamine, Callas, Mangos, Carambola,(star fruit) Florida Red Navel Orange, Black Mission Fig, Red and Gold Raspberries, Nasturtium and vegetables such as peas, stringbean, okra, peppers,spinach and cukes plus some odds and ends. Most all from seed. Feels Good - Real Good!!!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Show-off! All my seeds (in their winter-sow prescribed containers) are getting a fresh dose of snow and sleet today.

Congratulations on one heck of a year, T!

xxxxxx,
Carrie

Bought a pair of pants today size 42. Don't think I'd fit into them today for they are the regular fit and not the "relaxed fit. I get a giggle out of the terminology. Hope to be in to them next week. I'll let you know. Felt so good today I bought some bulbs about fifty and planted them. If all goes well, as it has been, my garden will be beautiful. I planted yellow canna, Peruvian Daffodils and tomorrow, Gladiolas and some more peppers in my EBS. I'll take a picture and show you. I don't think it will be off topic as it is part of my recovery.

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

That's okay even if it were to be off topic, since it is your thread!

Hmmm IF you find a great sale, perhaps you should buy one of each size from 40 down to your goal, since you have such an excellent record of achieving your weight loss goals over the last year. You are doing great T-Plant! Keep up the good work!!

~ Suzi :)

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

All the fun things I like to do are physical therapy and occupational therapy for me, and I'm sure they are for you too, T.

xxxx, Carrie

I am enjoying the beautiful weather by gardening which is my very favorite recreation if you can call it that. All I know is I'm real tired at the end of the day. Weeded, seeded, mulched and watered about 100' along my fenceline with Sweet Pea Streamers. They are vines and like all sweet pea have a fragrance. Also started seeds of Madagascar Jasmine, Datura purple, white and yellow plus some more marigold. Also planted Dahlia and twenty-five gladiolas plus some other odds and ends. I am taking advantage of our cool dry weather which has been very late this year. The sun is very strong but I time my work to be on the opposite side of my home so I can work in the cool shade. It is just wonderful that I can again be able to work the entire day. I have been able to do this for the past two weeks ever since I recieved my new orthopedic shoes. More tomorrow....

(Zone 7b)

Ted, I am so happy for you. I lurk over here occasionally to read about your progress.

Yours in tomatoes :-),
Suze

Hi Suze -- Normally I would only grow tomatos because of my obesity as I would tire very rapidly and could only grow in containers and earthboxes but now as my belly no longer gets in the way and knocks me off balance plus limits my breathing when bending, I can now plant in the ground like I used to do! My energy seems unlimited and I am able to do everything that I used to do but of course with age limitations. Life is Good Again!!!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

T - there is a line of Tshirts that say "Life is good" - you can get them on eBay. There's one of someone eating a watermelon, lying in a hammock, riding a bike, watching a baseball game, etc. I think you can get them retail too. That would be perfect for the new you - to go with your 42 khakis!

xxx, Carrie

Carrie --- Sounds good! However I would only wear it on my property because the way some people are today I might cause a riot!!
LOL --LOL---LOL

This time I've gained two pounds and weigh 235 lbs. Must have been the ice cream treat I had last night. I am allowed to indulge when so desired and I did so with my grandson sitting on my lap while we were eating a Haagen-daz's new flavor of Hawaiin Honey and it was worth it. Delicious!! I'll be drinking plenty of water to wash the calories out of me. Other than this all is going very well as my garden is starting to show the results of my work with their flowers but still have a lot more to do..... ONE DAY AT A TIME!

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

My hubby has gone two days this time. Again. Cross my fingers that there will be a day 3 and 4 and 5! I've stopped bragging about you to him.

xx, Carrie

What do you mean by"gone two days?" What is he eating or what system is he using? Second day of any diet is the most difficult! Give him all the encouragement you can. Every bit helps. I didn't have any encouragement from my family as they probably thought I was going to give up as I did so many times before but they neglected to realize that this time I had a real reason and a true goal and I was NOT going to fail. To make certain of this I opened this thread for all to see and encourage me plus I had good reason to live so I could enjoy my grandson.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I meant he's gone two days without junk food or soda. He's restricting himself to healthy food from home. No more Debby's snack cakes. He lost 60 lbs. with WeightWatchers 5 years ago. Then I got very very sick and he stayed with me in the hospital for 5 weeks. When I started with the blue goo down a tube in my nose; he stopped being able to eat what I couldn't (they didn't bring me trays any more). He spent the whole time living off AuBonPain and the vending machines. It was incredibly stressful for him emotionally; for me, it was stressful physically! I refused to follow doctors' orders and did NOT die, but he regained all the weight he had lost. Turns out one of the side effects of one of the meds (he stopped it last week) he's been taking for years is weight gain! It's hard to support him when he's in the very early stages because if he orders a Coke and I say don't you mean a Diet Coke he never says Oh, I forgot, thanks for reminding me, he says No, a Coke, and then we're having a fight! I have to figure out a way to cut him off at the pass before he has to make the choice. Like ordering two soda waters with lime.

xxx, Carrie

This message was edited Mar 23, 2007 7:08 PM

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Carrie I hate to say it but you can't make the choice he has to. I've lived with being overweight my entire life and my parents, sibling etc tried to do the same with me while I was growing up and on into adulthood and all it did was cause me to be resentful of what was in their minds a true desire to help. If your DH isn't in it body and soul it just isn't going to work. As Tplant has shown losing drastic amounts of weight takes an enitre lifestyle change and you can't do that for him, he has to do it for himself or he'll just gain it back.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I was just responding to Tplant's saying I should give him all the encouragement I could.

xx, C

Moon Twp, PA(Zone 6a)

T-Plant - even with 2 pound gain, you are still doing fantastic. Like you said, one day at a time!! We are all still proud of you! ~ Suzi :)

Thanks Suzi! I'm not in the least bit discouraged as I know things will turn in my favor. I spent a a lot of money this week in my garden. Lowes loves me. I have so much energy now. It is wonderful. My home is starting to shape up but still have half of the front to complete.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Half the front of your house?Or half the front of your garden?

Just wondering...

xxx, Carrie

This message was edited Mar 27, 2007 7:24 PM

Half the front of my garden in front of my home! Guess I should have clarified. Will take pictures today and show off....

Have 4'oclocks, Zinnia, Calla, Tuberose, Peruvian Lilies, Gladiolas, Delphinium, Lemon Grass and a few others. All from seed so this has been a long timecoming. As I said above I'm feeling great and looking forward to tomorrow.

Thumbnail by Tplant

Part of my veggie garden.

This message was edited Mar 25, 2007 7:34 PM

Thumbnail by Tplant
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for the clarification! LOL

xx, Carrie

Another part of my veggie garden. Front to rear: 6-Okra, 3-cukes, 2-Giant Marcone peppers, Peas and Stringbeans. All are in shared earthboxes. The real ones! Will be finally planting corn tomorrow and some more peppers.

Thumbnail by Tplant

Just recieved these from Parks Seed. Yellow, Black raspberry plus a Blackberry(not shown) planted in large cedar barrels. Most everything must be planted in containers because of my polio after effects.

Thumbnail by Tplant

Planted a Bouganvilla in a cedar barrel alongside my shed. Have a purple one that I may plant on the other side but am debating the issue as I have a Dwarf Pomegranite coming after 4/9 and they like the south side so I may plant that on the other side of the shed! Don't know till then..

Thumbnail by Tplant

My tomato garden is just about finished with the exception of Japanese Oxheart.

Thumbnail by Tplant

My newest helper and it really is fantastic. Lets me do so much more without carrying.

Thumbnail by Tplant

This is my challenge! It will take time as most everything I grow is from seed. However in addition to my seeding of Brugs I have three 14" plants also coming from Parks. I must run a weed mat along the 38' of bed to be made in front and on the right side of the picture. Everything is dry because of our drought and water limitations.

Thumbnail by Tplant
Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Okra? You actually eat that stuff? It's a good thing to eat veggies, they don't tend to add a lot of calories, but okra?

xxxx, Carrie

No, I do not eat okra but my DIL loves it so I grow it for her. Am inside now as it was getting to hot and humid to continue my gardening but I'll go back out around 5 or 6 pm.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Ahhhh, "too hot", what beautiful words....

xxx, Carrie

Got an early AM call today from my podiatrist to come in to his office ASAP for a measurement for a custom made leather and fur lined brace for my right leg which will be far superior to my present plastic brace. Did so and then continued with my other Friday run-around-chores. Just got home now and I know you would like to know about my current weight which is 231 lbs!!!! Soon I'll be into the twenties! Isn't it just terrific? Can't wait to get into the single digit 200's!
Oh by the way my arthritis is stll acting up and I told him and asked about "celebrex." I used to take it and never suffered like I do now. I stopped because of the threat of heart problems by taking this medication but he said he takes it and loves it? Half my four doctors agree and the other half don't but the ones that don't, don't have arthritis. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Woo-hoo T, that is terrific.

xxxx, Carrie

Sitting out on my deck this morning with my lap-top. It is an absolute beautiful morning. Temp is 76 deg, humidity is low and the breeze is like a gentle whisper. Along with a fresh cup of coffee and a couple of my gardening and landscaping books. As you know I have been quite busy landscaping our home and having a lot of fun doing it. My birds are gathering around the bird feeders. I have four of them with different seeds for different variety of neighborhood birds.
Went to Lowes yesterday and bought a couple of fancy 18" coated ( Whoops! Bluejay just flew up to me for some peanuts which I hand feed to them)containers. I'm going to incorporate them into my container garden to add some contrast and different color. Been spending a lot of $$$$ a real lot of $$$$ so I've got to slow up. The biggest expence are the pots on an average of $16 ea and I have about twenty and will need twenty or so more. I'm using cedar barrels as they do well in my humid climate plus I like the way they look. I'll have a lot of pictures as I go. Will this be the right forum to post them as I work???

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.