a first and a first and what did I do wrong?

Campobello, SC(Zone 7a)

Today actually took Thump off property, in trailer, with others, trail riding to a local state park about 30 miles away. Was VERY hesitant about doing so but decided if I kept putting it off, I'd never do it so off we went. Buddy and D went also. Ted, former owner, rode D and a friend of theirs rode Buddy. When we got there and I looked around, I realized that all 5 of us riding were there that fateful day back in Oct 2005 when Thump took off on me the first time I rode him. I started to have a bad feeling but decided that I needed to put it away or Thump would feel it too. Get Thump unloaded and he's sweaty and has diarrhea from the ride over. Great. By the time I have him saddled and ready to go, he seemed calmer and I felt a little more confident. Off we go. The trail was beautiful and we had a great time. Right up until about half way thru when we were going up a steep hill and I was leaning forward like taught when going up hill and suddenly I heard a loud noise and everything went black. Thump, even in his tie-down, flung his head back far enough that he popped me right in the face and altho I didn't pass out, I couldn't see anything for several seconds then saw just stars for about a min then just saw blood everywhere. By the time I could see again, everyone was stopped (Thump either stopped on his own or I stopped him, no clue) and someone was standing next to me handing me tissue for my nose. I have a deep cut across the bridge of my nose that bled for about 5 or 6 hours that must be from his bridle and a bloody nose. Did not break my nose, nor did it even hurt (till about an hour ago), only my head hurt...massive headache, which I still have. So we finished the ride with me stopping every few mins to wipe blood off my face. Got back to the car and someone had a first aid kit and cleaned up and put on a band aid then continued on another trail. However by this point, I think I was about done and stressed out and Thump sensed it because we started having trouble that started with him refusing to walk thru a gate and ended with him almost flinging me into said gate. I accept full responsibility for the problems on the second part of the ride and knew it wasn't going to get any better because I was just mentally and physically done for the day so I dismounted and walked him back to the trailer.
What I don't understand is how I got hit in the face. I don't feel like I was leaning too far forward and the hill didn't seem very steep compared to some we went up and he had his tie-down on, which I don't ride without. I know his tie-down isn't tight enough but he's never thrown his head around until today and after he hit me, he really started throwing his head around a lot. I always keep him at a walk and he was doing his fast walk/half trot today and I know he did some type of lope up that hill that wasn't a gallop but almost rocking like one and since he was under control at the time, I let him. So, what did I do wrong? This is something I really don't ever want to repeat.
All in all, I think the day was really good for us. It got us off the property into someplace new and with other horses. I rode the brake the entire time, but everyone else was too. There were 5 of us so maybe next time just a few less riders. I also got to see my first paso fino (pasa fino?) in person and he/she (didn't look) was beautiful.

This thread has 26 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!