Help with native plant?

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

I posted a question on the Shady Gardens forum that I probably should've posted here, since it deals with a native plant, Spigelia Marilandia (Indian Pink).
I'd really appreciate it if anyone can take a quick look and see if they have an answer/suggestion?

Here's the link (I hope):

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/700280/

Thanks,
Deb

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Deb, I've tried it all over and still have trouble with it.

Did you see the article on native plants in the paper today. There will be a SC Native Plant Society plant sale at Charlestowne Landing next Saturday morning. Those folks will know what to do with your plant.
alice

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ardesia: Yes! I saw the article shortly after I posted the question this morning. I hope to be able to go down there next Sat.
Thanks,
Deb

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Plant Delights sells this plant http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/page95.html and here is what they say:

Spigelia marilandica (Indian Pink)
Sun to Light Shade Zone: 5b-9 24" tall Origin: USA
If this isn't the region's most beautiful native, then I don't know who is...any votes for Elvis or Dolly? This exquisite woodland perennial makes a dainty-looking 12" wide clump of 2' tall stalks clothed with nondescript green foliage. We have found that it grows equally as well in full sun or light shade, as well as in very moist or bone-dry soils. In late spring, however, the clumps become topped with dozens of spectacular up-facing, tubular, bright red flowers with a dramatically contrasting, yellow center. The clump, which improves with age, will be a true garden show-stopper!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Tom: I actually got this plant from PDN! :) Other info I have on this plant mentions the proverbial "moist well-drained" soil. I have moist soil ...and I have well-drained soil. Unfortunately they aren't in the same spot. Guess I'll trust in PDN's info, flip a coin, and hope for the best! :D
Thanks,
Deb

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Deb, Porcher's book "A Guide to the WIldflowers of SC" mentions that it is "particularly abundant on calcareous sites". I suspect that means they do well on a more basic soil. Hope you find out something soon, mine looks pitiful.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Well, my soil's pretty "basic"! LOL! Thanks, Ardesia, if I learn anything more, I'll pass it along.
Deb

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.