Birds with iridescent feathers.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

The iridescent wings and very long tail of the Black-billed Magpie, shimmer in a rainbow of colors, as the bird moves, in the sun light.

But, catching the iridescence in a picture, can be almost as difficult as finding the Leprechaun's pot of gold, at the end of the rainbow.

Show us your pictures of iridescent birds.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

I spread a little dry cat food on the snow next to the driveway and sit in the truck. The Magpies are so accustomed to seeing people moving around inside of cars and trucks, they ignore me. Try to take a picture out of a house window - slightest movement - they fly.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Look at the rainbow of color in those tail feathers. ( "colour" for those on the other side of the pond)

How about one of those in your hat. lol.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Marlton, NJ

Commom Grackle

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics Gras; their a beautiful bird!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh how beautiful!! WAHH. I don't have any incandescent photos. What a beautiful tail your Magpie has also Gras. Pell, nice catch of the rainbow on that grackle! I will have to try for one of mine whichh are here and strutting their stuff now.

Melbourne, FL

My only iridescent bird, another Grackle.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Even the very ordinary Rock Dove (Feral Pigeon) has some iridescence on the neck

Resin

Thumbnail by Resin
Hebron, KY

Gras,

Fantastic pics of the very beautiful Magpie!!! Thanks for always sharing the birds and everything else Alaska!

Marilyn

Marlton, NJ

Thats right, I forgot all about Pigeon.

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

The Black-billed Magpie is a very attractive bird. Excellent photos of this extraordinary bird. I have a few birds with iridescent characteristics. The Mallard drake is one that I try to photograph as the sunlight brings out the iridescence. One has to be quick because any slight movement of the head will eliminate the brilliance.

Thumbnail by linthicum

And, the Tree Swallow .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Of course, we've already had the Rock Dove, but here is another photo .....

Thumbnail by linthicum

Almost forgot the Ruby-throated Hummingbird .....

Thumbnail by linthicum
Marlton, NJ

Great pics Linth!

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Off to a great start. Thanks everyone, nice pic's.

There are some common iridescent birds missing!

In bright sun light these Ravens showed some iridescence, but I wouldn't normally consider them an iridescent bird.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Marlton, NJ

Very nice Gras!

Heres the Starling, I posted this pic the other day in another thread,

Thumbnail by pelletory

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.