How to make a compost tea without compost

Ottawa, Canada

Hi All,

I have heard lots of good things on composting tea. I understand the benefits from the tea is mainly because of arobic microbes, not just the nutrients. But I don't have any compost available, only corn meals. How can I add the benefical arobic microbes into the water? I know in some garden centers there are some starter kit for starting a compost.

Thanks

Greensboro, AL

In the rose forum you will find discussions of alfalfa tea.

Ottawa, Canada

Thanks for the kind suggestion. I have been checking on the alfalfa tea, but from my understanding, it's mainly a nitrogen source for Roses. I am growing tropicals in containers and heard lots of good things on arobic microbes can be great for container culture.

Greensboro, AL

TropicalCA: I was referring to the alfalfa pellet/fish emulsion/kelp/iron chelate/ molasses/ concoction Dr. Don discusses in this thread. "Rose Sludge"

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/698878/

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Actually, it seems to get all those good aerobic organic organisms you need to use an aerator. Do you have one to use?

Karen

Ottawa, Canada

Karen,

Yes, I am going to buy one pump and air stone with fish store. What I am missing is actually the erobic organisms since I don't have a compost pile.

I am still busy reading the list referred by gloria.

Thanks all

Josephine, Arlington, TX(Zone 8a)

You could buy some compost at an organic nursery, they do sell it.
Check out this article. http://davesgarden.com/articles/view/46/
Josephine.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

TropicalCA: Well, it sounds like it's time for a compost pile in your yard!

Karen

Peoria, IL

I think the bigger question is why don't you have any compost?

Composting is great for the environment (by reducing landfill space) and great for your plants. You really should start composting - right now!

Ottawa, Canada

Yes, I felt the pressure. I am a new house owner, and going to start one, a big one this summer. But in my city, the outdoor temprature is still below freezing, that's why I don't have a compost. But I am ready to go and take the challenge.

Peoria, IL

You can start compost any time - it doesn't have to be summer to compost.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.