Can I rotate plants from sun to part shade?

Brainerd, MN

I'm still pretty new at container gardening but I've successfully grown peppers and tomatoes in containers placing them in the new truly sunny spots in the yard. Because of many trees, most of the yard is shade to partial shade. This year I'd like to grow flowering plants -- dahlias, zinnias, strawflowers, etc., but because he truly sunny spots are at a premium I wonder if I can get away rotating them between sunny and partially shaded locations.

Also, I have successfully grown impatiens in the partial shade areas (morning sun) and wonder what other flowering plants there are (ideally with bigger blooms than impatiens) that would work in containers ihe partial shade areas.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

Michael, Sure you can rotate, hope you have a good fat wheel dolly.

Showier than Impatiens? Tuberous begonias like that cool Mn weather, Lobelia comes in some across the yard colors, but, it is a ground cover. Coleus are bright and cheerful plant for part shade, but, it may be too cool in Paul Bunyan land for them. Geraniums are widely used in part sun.

There is a good nursery on the highway that goes up towards Pine River (about half way to PR) I bet they could give you some tips. Or any local nursery/landscaper usually can offer advice. Also the folks who work for the city/county have someone who plants their summer beds.

The folks down at the Mn Landscape Arboretum have a website and they might be able to lend a hand and offer you some advice.

I took this photo at the Arboetum in 2001-geraniums, the perennial kind.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.