ground covers with perennials

Hammond, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm wanting to know others experiences with Lysimahia "Aurea'-golden creeping jenny. I have it around my hosta "Sum & Substance, and it looks fabulous. Its creeped over where the larkspur and dicentra spectabilis have been for 3 years. Will I need to remove the Lysimachia so the larkspur and bleeding heart will return? It sure covers the soil beautifully and looks so lovely with some morning sun.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I've heard that creeping jenny is quite invasive, and can be difficult to get rid of.

A year or so i was going to get some, until i read up on it.

(Zone 4a)

The perennials will grow up through the ground cover. That is the beautiful part of it.

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

I agree with Tamarak. I also have this Lysimachia as a ground cover in some part of my garden and it doesn't noticeably influence strong perennials.
They just grow through it. But I wouldn't combine it with smaller, more delicate perennials. It can also be combined with other equally strong ground covers like for example Ajuga reptans, or with bulbs .

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

when i was considering certain ground covers for my "prairie" of sorts... i was told that some perennials will not / can not grow thru the ground covers... but i guess it all depends on the 'cover' and how tight the growth is.

but when i was looking at creeping jenny a few years ago -- i really liked the way it looks. i was looking for yellow at the time.

for my "prairie" of sorts...i'm giving variegated vinca a try. (sun/part shade)

Hammond, IL(Zone 5a)

thanx yall for the feedback. The BEEF I have with this beautiful ground cover is that it kept the larkspurs from returning last year and that made me so sad. I know larkspurs are finicky....;^( Also have Alchemilla mollis (Lady's Mantle) and a Dicentra 'Gold Heart' that were neighbors that may had been/or will be buried under Lysimachia 'Aurea'. That bed was so beautiful last year.. So, at this point, I deciding whether to pull out 'golden jenny' or find another spot for larkspur, lady's mantlr and 'gold heart'. HELP

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

I have another suggestion; In your place I would still plant the larkspurs, lady's mantle and the dicentra in between the Lysimachia, but play for police, once in a while, like you would do the weeding in your garden.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

I have creeping Jenny in my shade garden and the perennials like the ligularias, ferns, tryticus and polygonatum grow through it although it hasn't gotten really thick here ever. i also grow ajuga with it and each has made it's place. It may be that in warm zones the creeping Jenny isn't quite so vigorous.

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Doesn't it look fabulous around certain plants and shrubs? I have some around the dwarf pygmy barberries (great contrast!) and another bed it grows in between the purple iris. I have only found it to be invasive when it is too close to grasses borders. It is also easy to weed out like bonitin mentioned. I find it an easy trade off for the great look.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

how long do the creeping jenny bloom?
I'd love an all season bloomer... especially in yellow.

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

I don't even think they have a bloom, but the foliage is the show stopper. It is bright golden yellow all season.( In the winter mine is brown and dies back here in PA.) I can grow it is sun or shade. It is fragile to move and transplant it, but when I move some, I dig up a clump with dirt intact and move it. Maybe others have different experiences. I love putting mine in container gardens too. The foliage contrasts well with other plants and it hangs and cascades down on the sides. If you put it with purple or burgundy, it also give contrast to color. The foliage texture is a great contrast with other plants too. There is a green variety too, if that is a better color choice in your gardens. It also can grow in shallow water in a water garden. What a versatile plant!

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

That true RatherBDigging. Mine is growing alongside my pond and it does creep into the water, even growing under the water surface like an aquatic plant. I wouldn't want to miss it!

Hammond, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm loving the feedback = ) The blooms of Lysimachia-creeping jenny - seem insignificant, its the texture and color that adds ZIP. It does transplant very readily....and looks great spilling over rocks and pots. Don't have any yet in total shade ....morning and filtered sun. I'll move some this spring to mingle around 'Palace Purple' heuchera and under a weeping Acer palm. 'Inaba Shidare'...yes...I am so glad to have gardening cohorts to bounce ideas around with...THANX

Gent, Belgium(Zone 8a)

Forgot to say that mine does bloom with pretty yellow cheery flowers (about 2cm diameter) during approximately 3 months from late spring into summer.
A least the ones that get about 3 hours sun per day.

Charlevoix, MI(Zone 4b)

I just realized which plant you all were talking about! I have TONS of it growing in my woods. It seems invasive (in my area), I have a few spots where I could use the groundcover but I think it might be too dry.

Michelle

Akron, PA(Zone 6b)

Yes, I have heard it can be invasive. I have mine in garden beds that do not give it the opportunity for it to reach out. I guess depending on each gardener's location, and how often the beds are tended to, this should be considered before putting in gold creeping jenny. But it is so pretty...

Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

TCS, you might want to reconsider the vinca if you're concerned about invasives. I put in 10 tiny plugs of vinca the fall before last; by last summer, it had spread everywhere and was strangling some of my perennials. On a positive note, it's easy to pull out; but seems to root everywhere the runners touch.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

When I posted my "slight" concern on a different forum, a landscaper guy from my area said it should be OK due to the fact it will be part shade ( from late afternoon on) but it will not be in my yard.... i'm "beautifying" the state property behind my house, and i really want something that will fill in area... something i can walk on.

my main concern was that it would get so "thick" that my perennials could not grow thru it... but was told that it shouldn't be a problem.

this poster also told me that the variegated version of vinca shouldn't be (wont be) as invasive as the others.

if it gets bad... i'll pull it out...

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

I have had the gold creeping jenny for a couple of years. I spread it out a lot and last year I was out of commission and did not garden, so it has taken a while to get really established. Everywhere it is, whether it is sun or shade, it is beautiful. I have beds with borders also, so I should be able to keep it where it belongs. Heck, I fight wisteria runners ALL the time, so how tough can creeping jenny be?

Wichita, KS(Zone 6a)

I agree. I love this little ground cover. This is not the best pic, but you can see it really adds color. This picture was taken last week. It wakes up early here (6A). Occassionally I have to pinch it back away from some of my hostas and lillies but for the most part it is easy to maintain. And it will grow in my heavy clay soil! I dig up some of the extra to put in my planters. It looks pretty spilling over the egde of a pot.

Thumbnail by agebhart
Hendersonville, NC(Zone 7a)

Makes sense, tcs, but you might want to check your state's list of invasives before you plant it on public land. I discovered after planting that it is on NC's list; and that, plus seeing it wrap around perennial stems, started me on the summer-long project of pulling it out.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

I found a site that lists all invasives in my area, and it's not on it. though Wintercreeper is, and that is something i always wanted to get... guess not now.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.