Want to relocate/evict Sedum Autumn Joy...

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

is it too late? I went out to clean the front flower bed since I'd been so slack last fall and seeing the rosettes there reminded me that I didn't like the plant that much and had wanted to get rid of it. I may not like it but I don't want to kill it either:LOL: I'm just wondering if it too late to dig it up once it's showing spring growth? I'll put up with it another season if need be but I've got new stuff coming and well, you know;)
If not now, then when is the best time to remove this Sedum?

Thanks all!
Donna

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

I'm glad you asked the question, I have the same situation.

Judy

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

I'm no expert, but those things are really tough... I've moved them around at different times of the year with no trouble. I think you could dig it up now and pot it up without hurting it.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

I agree - they're tougher than we think and I've moved mine about nine months of the year without a problem.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh good! I think I'll work on that tomorrow, get it potted up and give it to a friend. Thanks!

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Heck, in the heat of summer last year I just broke pieces off my friend's clump and stuck them in my soil unceremoniously, and they thrived. She hate's them, I am going to raid her garden again this spring. They parts I stole from her looked better than my store bought stock!

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

this is basically a great time to divide them and move them !! its true, they are quite indestructible... your friend can easily make several plants from your one plant by just breaking it into several pieces.

Everything I ripped out of this garden went to a neighbor. Look at the sedum! I think the one plant ended up being split into nine plants - they all grew just fine. This was in September of '05.

Thumbnail by pirl
Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I totally agree! I'm digging up my Sedum, "Autumn Joy" tomorrow and making room for some new perennials.

They're gluttons. They move in and take up too much space - just like Montauk Daisies.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I think I was just expecting to see a bunch of butterflies and of course the color looked more vivid in photos. It just sort of looked blah to me. I'm thinking that the sedum might divide into about 3 plants...I caught a bit of it popping up in the bearded iris which is about 12 inches away from the main clump....very sneaky!LOL
I'm not super impressed with my 5 yr old Sarah Bernhardt peony either but since I let it stay for so long I feel a bit guilty when I think about removing it. Especially when I hear they don't like relocation and take a while to recover.

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

here's my thoughts on those plants! sedum autumn joy is a great plant in the right place- it isn't really beautiful as a specimen but if you have room it can look terrific from a distance repeated here and there in a border- mixing well in an informal way with grasses, asters, rudebekias- kind of the wild piet oudolf style.. or also it can look good in a manicured formal garden, where the shape and silvery color can be used almost like little bushes- pinching in the spring isn't a bad idea to make it a bit more compact in that case---- but a in front door spot where you really want flowers blooming, yeah, it can be boring.
Sarah Bernhardt Peony is one of the floppy ones.. sad, but true...looks best in a vase-where it looks beautiful!! Check out Hollingsworth "Best Landscapers" http://www.hollingsworthpeonies.com/ for peonies that stand up! I wish peony nurseries would tell you more about how much staking you'll need to do- and show pictures of whole plants not just the blossoms .. but, there's nothing better than a beautiful poofy pink peony blossom. But, yes, you can move it (though fall is best) and it will be just fine! ok-i'm talking too much! Donna, just hoping to cheer you on! Sarah

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

DGers can NEVER talk too much! I always come away from here knowing more than I did when I started:LOL:
I think you're right with the sedum...if I had a large island type perennial bed and it was just part of the landscape, I think it would be living up to its potential. My little flower bed isn't the right place for it. The friend I'm giving it to has a large area of land that she is bit by bit trying to put together so I know that even if the sedum just gets plopped down somewhere for the time being, she'll get it moved when she has the proper spot for it. In the meantime, it will have time to get larger for her.

Thank you for the advice about the peony site. I had just purchased the Sarah Bernhardt at WalMart and buried it without knowing much about it. I was so excited to see the first eyes poke up and the first leaves. I wasn't aware of how long they take to get established:) I started threatening it by the third year (got 3 flowers that year!). I can wait to see what she's gonna do this season...and maybe find a better variety for her spot=)

Clementon, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sedum works for me because they are so hard to kill and stand up to my hot, dry, sandy yard. I have moved them at every point in the year and I'm only waiting to move a chunk right now (a rhododendron grew over them) because I can't figure out exactly where to put them. I use them to fill spots because I can let them be and spend my time working on everything else :-) That sounds like what it will be doing at your friend's house which is a perfect job for it!

Sue

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I'm glad to know that there are good old reliables out there that can be counted on when things don't work out in the garden either by nature's hand or my own=) One day soon I'm going to have a larger space and then I'll be able to be more forgiving for perennials that seem not to fit in...I'll just be able to scoot it around until it finds it's home. There are a bunch of perennials I'd love but due to space and time limitations I hold off on them, like rudbeckia, achillea, geraniums and even echinacea. Well, I have broken down and decided to try one from Terranova called Tiki Torch, the color is amazing! It's one of the very small co-op sized ones but hopefully in a couple of years I'll have some to share and spread around.

Since it blooms so late in the year it can be a nice plant to keep other colors from clashing.

Saint Paul, MN(Zone 4a)

I've got a sedum planted right behind my blackberry lily - it's a nice prop, since the blackberry lily is kind of floppy. They bloom at different times so the bloom colors don't clash. Peg

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.