Safe Wood Preservative for Birdhouse?

Marlton, NJ

Just got done making a BB House and need to know if theres something safe I can use to help preserve the wood for a longer time. Thank You! :-)

Marlton, NJ

I've read that you can use Non Toxic Exterior Latex Paint but is there anything else??

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Pelletory, I don't have an answer for you, but will stay tuned to this thread in case someone else does! If you come up with something, will you please post it here? I have no plans at the moment, but may want to build (rather, have DH build) a birdhouse soon. Thanks!

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Pelletory, there is an old wives tale, that birds won't nest for a year after a bird house has been painted. I doubt it is true, but the toxic fumes from the paint do take a wile to dissipate. I don't paint my bird houses, just let the wood weather naturally. I have some that are twenty years old.

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

I use latex exterior house paint. I usually make & paint my houses in the winter and give them a few months of sitting before I put them up. Birds usually move in the first year I have them up. Lighter colors reflect the heat better and "natural" colors (rather than bright colors) are preferred by many birds. Cedar is a great wood to use and it lasts a long time without any finish on it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.