Iris Borers

Louisville, KY

We use to use Cygone 2e for Iris borers. What insecticides are you using now for the borers?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Good question. I don't have borers but sure would like to know what people use. I only have aphids. They can be a pain. Have had white fly too, that was even worse. Good thread timeinabottle!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Merit is my systemic insecticide of choice for borers. It comes in both granular and liquid formulations. I use the granular at a rate of 1/2-1 tsp per clump applied and watered in thoroughly just as irises are breaking dormancy and beginning active growth in the spring. It is long acting and lasts all season for me. The product I use is sold under the name, Bayer Advanced Lawn Season-Long Grub Control. It has given me exceptionally good borer control.

Laurie

Pylesville, MD(Zone 6b)

I put down Bayer http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=19008-000024182-502720A&lpage=none
now and at the end of April I put down Triazicide granuals http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=15356-316-15356&lpage=none
then bayer again in August

Louisville, KY

Thanks for the information. Do y ou think it could be used on Japanese Iris and Siberian as well as Tall Bearded. ( this is my first year for Japanese Iris)

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

I've used Merit on bearded and beardless with no problems ... and no borers.

Louisville, KY

Thanks for all your help

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I found this link for "Merit Systemic Granules" http://www.pestproducts.com/meritgranules.htm, which mentions 0.5% Imidacloprid.

The Bayer Product has 0.2%, as does the Scotts Grub-Ex that I just bought (at Home Depot, $14 per bag covering 5000 square feet). It seems that 0.2% works fine for prevention, but I'd say if you know you have a problem with borers, you might want to find the stuff with the higher concentration of active ingredient.

If anybody has not had good results with the Scott's version, please let me know! I haven't opened the bag yet...

Thanks!

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

You really don't need the higher concentration for borer control even if you had borers last year. I had a LOT of borer activity in my iris beds the year before I started using Bayer Advanced Lawn Season-Long Grub Control, but borers were non-existent after I started applying it. The keys to success are early application just as irises start growth in the spring and watering the granules in well immediately after application.

Laurie

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OK! It's supposed to warm up a little this week, so it might be time... The poor confused things started putting up some growth during that warm weather earlier this winter, but I don't think that counts... I'm guessing that erring on the side of putting it down too early is better than putting it down too late, so I'll be out there when this last snowfall (please, let it be the last!) melts.

Louisville, KY

I put the Bayer grub control down last week . My Iris were already in full growth from 3 to 8 inches. I will post you on the effectiveness when applied this late.

John

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Is there anyone who has iris in or near Buckingham County VA? Wondering about borer there. I planted a ton of iris there last year and wonder if I should tell the owner to get some Bayer.

Hope somebody can help.
Ginny

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

Ginny,

The map here:

http://www.gardenshield.com/

indicates that borers exist in VA. If you want to play it safe, I'd recommend applying Bayer in that garden.

Laurie

Westchester, IL(Zone 5b)

Hi everyone,

Well, I just put down my granules, yesterday. First time I'm trying it, cause I only found out I had borers last year. Only 3 (or maybe just 2, don't know if 1 will make it) tiny rhizomes survived the winter. I did have 20-some last fall... and 40-some in the summer. ;( After I discovered the borers, I dug all my iris up, washed them with the bleach solution, and only saved the decent ones. After letting them dry for 2 days, I decided to pot them, but I used potting soil, instead of potting MIX... and most of them got waterlogged over the winter and rotted to death. ;(

So, I saved 2 or 3 rhizomes, yesterday, and repotted them with potting MIX. I couldn't find the Bayer product laurief recommended, but I did find some Bayer "grub killer" granules with 0.15% Imidacloprid, so I hope that does the trick. It was 72 degrees yesterday and is supposed to be in the 70's all this week, so I think I put them down just in time. Wish me luck, everyone! I'll let you know how it turns out. My garden was mainly irises, so my beds will be pretty bare this year. ;(

~Kristy... sad, but hopeful.

St Joseph, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm finally buying some BAGLSLGC today and getting it on. I need it in at least a couple of my iris gardens. Thanks for the info.
Laura

Westchester, IL(Zone 5b)

Good luck to everyone with borers! (Including me, heh.)

~Kristy

St Joseph, IL(Zone 5b)

The BAYER is down!!! It rained here some this morning and I had to take a little one to the MD, so I didn't get it down as early today as I wanted, but got it done right before another rain, so I feel so much better. The lady at the FS store where I got it told me it was a little to early to apply (to grass) and when I told her what I was using it for, she admitted she didn't know that. I told her about all of the smart ladies here on DG's that I listen to. Thanks again for your help and advise.
Laura

Westchester, IL(Zone 5b)

I've got my fingers crossed.

~Kristy

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Great thread...is it too late to put down the bayer or should I go straight for the triazicide and then bayer again in the fall?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.