What kind of Iris is this?

Niagara Falls, NY(Zone 6a)

This just popped up in the garden last year. We don't know where it came from. It's gorgeous, though, and I'd like to get more. Can someone tell me what it is?

Thumbnail by ScotDeerie
Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

That's a broken color bearded iris ... and quite a striking one, at that! Check the thread on broken color irises, and you'll find more that are similar to yours.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Laurie, could that be Batik? Just a wild guess.
I found this one in the plant files.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/16579/

This message was edited Mar 10, 2007 8:12 AM

Crosby, TX(Zone 9a)

I was thinking it looked kinda like my Batik when it bloomed.....but then again, I've found their are a lot of them that look similar. Regardless of what it is, it's beautiful......what a WONDERFUL suprise!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I've noticed that different areas have different colors than some of mine. Why is that? The soil, the fertilizers?

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

It might be Batik, but there are a number of BCs on the market now with that same color combination.

Color intensity can certainly be influenced by variations in climatic conditions and probably growing conditions, as well. And of course different cameras, films, software programs, and computer monitors can interpret and display the same colors very differently.

Laurie

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Oh good point Laurie! Thank you for that.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

My broken color irises vary dramatically from year to year in the same clump. that's part of the fun of growing them!

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

Batik is short Iris
its boarder beared Iris if its over 29" tall its one of the other broken color,

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

wish one pop up in my yard. lol. great color and picture.

My Batik is alot darker in color. Like Tazzy says--blooms at the same time as my TBs, but a shorter BB.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Hi all,
Sorry for taking so long to check back.

This iris is pretty short so I guess that means it is a Batik? I can't imagine how it showed up here. The folks that lived here before put absolutely ZERO dollars into anything outside the house -- no gardens, no lawn care, nothing.

When should I divide this plant so I can start getting more of them??

Thanks!

I think it may be a sister to Batik, but lighter in streaking . Nice. Traditionally divide your iris 6 weeks after blooming. Want to trade for something I have? I have a weakness for broken colors.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Scot,
Irises are usually divided in late July or August. Discard the old rhizome that bloomed and plant the offshoots of it.

Poplarville, MS(Zone 8b)

I am fairly certian this is one of my all time favorite iris,Batik. I know there are some out there that look similar, but this really looks just like Batik, they are beautiful, aren't they? I wish some more would pop up in my yard, I have to plant everything I get. Lucky!

Wandaflowers,
I'm sorry but I only have a teeny little clump of these iris. In about 10 years we can negotiate again if you'd like. :)

I missed dividing them last year but I also transplanted them last year, too, so I didn't want to overstress them. I really will just have to buy more.

Thanks, everyone.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.