YOO HOO!! anybody home?

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

My little squirrel buddy brought a friend over today. I don't get that many so I can afford the luxury of enjoying these and not pull my hair out. Anyway, this friend was really funny. it kept running down the leg of the platform and then coming right back up for peeks. Here she is peeking at me.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

The lure of the peanuts was irresistible though.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

until she saw my hand move and raced back down the leg of the table. Then I saw the platform shake and - BING! - there she was peeking from the other side. tricky!

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

The other squrrel was a lot braver lol. But this one was determined to try for the loot.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Bingo!

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

and bingo again!

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

WOW! Awesome photos Lily! My Goodness you got some excellent shots! I could just about feel his cute little soft ears. Our squirrels don't have quite the fluffy tails that yours have. And I've never seen one of mine with red in his fur.

Though I heard folks complain about them all the time, I don't particularly care how many squirrels are out back. I don't care how much they eat of my bird seed either. They have to eat and they all provide me with much entertainment.

They are all acrobats. When I open the back door, they look over from the back fence. If the dogs come out, they are off across the fence, up over the top of the deck (that has a lattice roof) jump 8-10 ft. to the tree, then scramble to the top and begin their trek out the branches to the neighbors tree. Looks like flying fur!!! If I am alone, they will consider staying there, provided I don't just walk out toward them. They are wary, but I think they are aware that I am the one that fills the feeders.

Most of my photos have been taken from 15-20 ft.

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Melbourne, FL

I feel the same about squirrels. I love watching them, even though they can empty and destroy feeders.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Lilyfantn, your shots are terrific! This is one of my favorites of the squirrel shots I have taken.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

How adorable gardenpom and Unique Treasure! I'm sure I'd feel differently about them if I had too many like a lot of you have. They are so clownish and fun to watch lol.

Hebron, KY

Here's a red squirrel that DH took in our yard couple of years ago.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Another one

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

Another 'red' pic

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

a gray one

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Marlton, NJ

Cute pics everyone!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

This morning I had company while squirrel watching lol.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Emmie my cat fell off her perch twice but was fascinated. The squirrel seemed totally unfazed by Emmie's presence.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Marlton, NJ

They get such a big kick out of them.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

im here! Not to clear, but saying hi

Thumbnail by gardenglory
Marlton, NJ

He looks like he's showing off for you gardenglory!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

How cute gg! And are those daylilies in the pots behind Sir Greyfur? (he looks like he climbed the mizzen mast and is looking for a sign of land lol)

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Wonderful squirrel photos, everyone!!! I am so glad to find like-minded people who enjoy the little dickens, too. So many people try to get rid of them, but I find them highly entertaining! We have Douglas Squirrels here, which are smaller than the gray ones we had in Seattle (although the gray ones are making their way here to the island and will probably eventually chase the smaller Douglas variety out - darn it!).

Ripon, WI(Zone 4a)

Great pictures everybody. I never tire of these little cuties!

Marlton, NJ

I'm not a big fan of the tree rats but heres one for those who are fans. This is quite a stretch.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Great catch Pelletory. They can be a nuisance, but cute at the same time. Certainly is an outstretched position you caught him in. I would have like to seen him get down - without falling?

This little Red Squirrel collects seeds on the ground under my feeder.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Jersey Shore, NJ(Zone 7a)

All your pics are great! I'm also a squirrel fan. They're so busy raiding the feeders that they don't bother any of the plants, bulbs, etc in the garden. I've also noticed that when the squirrels hit the feeders all the ground feeding birds show up to claim the seeds that the squirrels knock out. A somewhat symbiotic relationship :~)

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

All those pics are just tooo cute. I would love to see some here, but don't have any.

Marlton, NJ

Okay better, stop rubbing it in, lol.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Our squirrels will come an knock on the glass door if there is not food on the deck. They've made friends with my cats. One ran in the house around Christmas and came nose-to-nose with my female cat under the tree. It startled them both and they immediately turned around and ran away from each other! LOL!

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Garden_mermaid, how funny!!! When I used to live in Seattle, I had a little mama squirrel (she was distinctive due to an injury and it was quite obvious she was a mama so I had no trouble identifying her) would come into my kitchen and wait for me to make her a peanut butter sandwich. Sure wish I had photos of that!!! She was around for a couple years and would have curled up on the couch if I had let her. Decided that really wasn't too good an idea!

We have Douglas Squirrels (small) here on Whidbey Island, but had the typical larger gray ones in Seattle.

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

A few years ago we had a battled scarred male squirrel as a regular. We named him Squirrel Capone.
The other male had a very pointy nose, so he was named Cyrano de Squirreliac. It's clear who the ladies preferred.....lots of pointy nosed squirrel offspring.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

What cute squirrel stories! They do seem awfully intelligent and curious. I've been spending a lot of time outside in the garden and haven't had much time for pics. but today I am waiting for the air conditioner guy to come and do his maintanence check for our heat pump so I'm house bound till they get here (don't have my portable phone anymore) So I'm catching up on pics and posts.

Here is a picture of our "wascally squirrel" from today... "Ehhhh, (munch munch munch) what's up Doc?"

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

and here is "Emmie Fudd" again, watching whistfully from the other side of the window.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Marlton, NJ

Very cute!

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

I like squirellies :D I rescued a baby once. I found him under a tree in our backyard. Waited for as long as I could for mama to show up, but she didnt. And it was too cold to leave him outside all night. I was able to find a nearby rehabber the next day and gave him to them :) Gotta find the picture I took...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.