Gift Idea

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I know it is a long way before Christmas, but this idea takes time not money, and I thought I would share.
I have been out of work for a little while, which made me use more brain than money when coming to gifts this past year. I got the idea of making a cookbook of recipes from family and friends I have compiled over the years. What makes this book different is that I put a small story about the recipe or person who gave it to me at the top of the recipe. Ex, about the person and what they were like (if gone now), what happened if you didn't follow the directions right, etc. Some stories are funny, others are tear jerkers. It took a while but was a big hit. Everyone loved the stories and loved getting that recipe that they never had and wanted. I gave one to my mother (83) who had almost all the recipes, but she enjoyed the stories and said she loved it because now all her favorite recipes are in one place and she doesn't have to hunt for them. Also people liked seeing their name in the book and were pleased to know that they were thought of and included. They seemed to like this gift better than the ones I had spent lots of money on in the past.
I printed them out on plain paper, put them into a clear cheap report binder with the color plastic edge and stuck a picture of me on the front, wearing oven mits and holding a fire extinguisher, over a bowling pot of water for the smoke.
Hope someone can use the idea.

This thread has 7 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!