Need groundcover for bad soil in deep shade (under deck)

Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

I have posted this in the Carolina Forum, but got no response, maybe this place is more appropriate, can anyone give me advice? I am in zone 7a.

I have an area that is in total shade all the time and it is very slopey (~45 degrees). I once read about some groundcover that thrives in the shade, I think it even said "deep" shade, but of course I can't remember where that was. Also, there is no top soil there, so either it would have to be something that does not require "nutrition" or perhaps, if I have to dig it in with amendments (very difficult, under a deck), it could be something that spreads and covers a good area from one plant??

Thanks for your ideas!!!!!!!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Hi Clementine, sorry you haven't had a reply, please don't get frustrated at the poor ole vine and climber folks............maybe you will have luck over on the shady gardens forum or maybe a regional forum?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I thought I had posted a response to this but I guess it didn't go through...only thing I can think of that might work is ivy, but I hate to recommend to anyone that they plant ivy, it can be so horrible to get rid of later. The shade gardening forum is probably the best place to try, not all groundcovers are vines and since the folks over there are experts on shady conditions I'm sure they'll have some suggestions.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

http://www.plantdelights.com/Catalog/Current/

Here is a nursery that handles many plants, some common, some rare. It is in NC. I have bought from them by mail order. It would be a good place to start your research since they are in the same climate and they have photos galore.

I would suggest ferns as the main plant. Best of luck with your new project.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
Chapel Hill, NC(Zone 7b)

Thanks to all. I think your suggestion is good that I should go to another forum, don't know why I thought this one would be appropriate, I guess I was looking for something that would grow and spread (vine-like?) and cover this terrible mess.
I have heard of Plantdelights nursery, but have not been there yet. Dale, nice picture!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.