simple bird feeders?

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Hello!

I would like to add some bird feeders to my backyard this spring. However, I don't have a lot of money so I would like to make them myself if possible. Does anyone have any plans for making some simple bird feeders? Birds I have seen in my backyard so far include blue jays, cardinals, and mourning doves.

Thanks, Kim

Marlton, NJ

Mourning Doves will only use platform feeders. I'll look on the web later and maybe someone else will know in the meantime.

Marlton, NJ

Heres a site.

http://wayneofthewoods.com/bird-feeder-plans.html

Marlton, NJ

Another

http://www.50birds.com/mpfeeder.htm

Marlton, NJ

Another. Let me know if thats enough.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=howTo&p=Build/ScrapsForTheBirds.html

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks....perhaps I can see if my dad could do some of those later this year. I don't have a saw so cutting wood is out for now. The log feeder I may be able to do.

:) Kim

Marlton, NJ

Kim, If you have a WalMart near you they have some very inexpensive feeders.

Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

i picked one up at Menard's for about $8 (on sale)
It's plastic, has a hinged roof - and birds can sit on all 4 sides.. though it is not squirrel proof.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I made a couple out of grapefruit halves. I think I saw it in Birds N Blooms and thought they would be small enough to hang from my small trees. I poked 3 holes in it with a screwdriver and ran yarn thru it to hang from. You can't get any cheaper than this.

I was pleasantly surprised when the very next day my resident Mockingbird went straight for it. It's (not sure if it's he or she) has not ever eaten at my feeders before but it sure knew what a grapefruit was! I put apples and raisins and some seeds in it for the MB and he empties it out, literally- sometimes he'll throw stuff out of it and jumps down to eat it.

Marlton, NJ

Thats neat I'll have to try that.

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Our local Dollar Store has a couple of different feeders under $6.

Slidell, LA(Zone 8a)

Walmart has tube feeders for $3 and change which come with thistle and regular feed attachments. As far as the doves only feeding off of platform feeders, my group can land right on my larger cirular feeders with no problem. The majority of them eat from the dropped seeds under my feeder pole.

Marlton, NJ

Whats a circular feeder?

Mesa, AZ

You can purchase the plastic containers that are put under plant pots to hold the water- from Home Depot or Walmart or any hardware store or nursery - usually Home Depot or Lowe's are the least expensive. The ones that are as big as a dinner plate- use a hammer and a nail to put holes spaced around the edge- 4 of them works well. Use yarn or wire (the hanging pot type) to hang it from a tree. You may want to take a small nail and poke some holes in the bottom to let water drain out when it rains. Put your seed, fruit, nuts, raisens, in it and enjoy the birds.
These also work well for a simple water dish. If you hang a milk carton above it (a couple-three feet) with 2 small nail holes in the bottom, the sound of the water dripping will also attract birds.

You can also take a nice pinecone, smear it with peanut butter, roll it around in bird seed (it is best to use a finch mix or one that says for songbirds- or just black sunflower seed (too much milo and all you'll get are pigeons and I am sure you want a variety!) and tie it firmly to a tree branch where you can see it.

If these suggestions are in the links above, I apologize, but thought I would share!

Susie

Seguin, TX(Zone 8b)

Those ideas are great Susie....just what I was looking for. Thanks!!

Kim

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I have 2 really pretty blue ceramic pot saucers that I use for water. I got them for less than $1 each on clearance. My doves will get inside my hanging feeders like that too. One real windy day I looked out and there was one just swinging back and forth in it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.