Help choosing a rototiller

Buena Vista, VA

For years I used a 5HP front-tine rototiller to till a huge garden (and loved it). Then came years when I had no vegetable garden, and I got older too. When I retired and moved here I bought a 6.5HP rear tine Poulan tiller--always wanted a rear-tine tiller--but found it was way too big for me to maneuver. About 1/4 mile turning radius. So I sold it yesterday and need to buy a new tiller. Can't afford to make another mistake, so I need some advice.

Considerations: front-tine or rear tine? counter-rotating tines or standard rotating tines? large enough to till an area 40x60 at least and able to incorporate organic matter without clogging up every few minutes? maneuverable? I'm not young any more. Don't have many rocks to contend with.

Two tillers that I am considering are the Troy Bilt Bronco (small, counter-rotating rear tine) and a front-tine standard rotating Poulan.

This thread has 6 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!