Artichokes???

Algonac, MI

Have any of you planted or [tried] to plant Imperial Star or Green Globe artichokes?
I set 12 Imperial Star seeds on Feb. 2nd and none had taken to sprout (within 21 days) by March 4th.
I did, however, call Pintree Gardens and they are sending me a replacement pkt of 12 seeds (B-4 it gets too late to set them). Any of you who can help me set these artichokes will be most appreciated.
THANKS!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Oh I was looking for artichoke seeds the other day at Lowes and they didnt have any
I have grown them but not long enough to get a artichoke, just the plant. This year i wanted to start some early
I may have to go out and look at some more stores!!! I will keep mine in containers in the GH i think to keep them growin as long as possible. I had no trouble with them sprouting!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

I tried them a couple of years ago and none sprouted for me.

Algonac, MI

THANKS notmartha and hemlady for your responses.
I have a replacement pk coming from Pintree (Superseed) Seeds, plus, I ordered a pk from Burpee. They should be in by next Tue. ???
Most stores in the MI area do not stock artichoke seeds because of the low profile they have. In fact, I haven't seen any fresh artichokes in any stores around here (Algonac).
I went on-line (Google) to artichoke producers and I asked if they had any suggestions for me growing them in my 30' X 40' garden. That was yesterday and I haven't heard anything as of yet. If you are interested, I'll email you what they send me.....IF...any growers reply.
Thanks again for your response.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

my dh got me a pack of emerald artichokes last night at Lowes!! going to get them started today!

This message was edited Mar 10, 2007 9:14 AM

Algonac, MI

notmartha...LOTS O'LUCK with your artichokes.
My replacement seeds came in yesterday and I am getting them started today (at 5 A.M.).
I am going to use soiless mix this time in place of [a] "professional mix" for plants. It may have been too rich and that is why my "chokes" didn't sprout.
As soon as I get a sprout, it goes into our "walk-in cooler" (2 rooms which we do not heat in winter). Hopefully that "fools" the seedlings into thinking they have survived a winter.
I have noticed that there is almost a 80-90 % failure rate among choke seeds. (?)...time will tell.
Later!
PS: I found on the Internet that a 2' X 3' X 3' foot cardboardbox with a 40W light bulb in it will produce temps around 80-85 degreesF. Sounds like a CHEAP style "greenhouse" to me. I am going to try it and will let you know. Now I gotta find a "small" themometer somewhere. So far, NONE of the nurseries around here have what I need.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

my chokes are sprouted!!! will post the germination rate tomorrow!
well i went and counted and out of 12 seeds 11 are sprouted!!!
I hope i can grow them long enough to get chokes!

This message was edited Mar 19, 2007 9:14 PM

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

make that 100% all 12 are up now!!!

Melvindale, MI(Zone 5a)

That's great Dori, I should have started mine indoors and maybe I would have had some germination. I directly sowed outdoors and not a one came up.

Algonac, MI

YAHOOOO! I now have 8 out of 12 artichokes sprouted since the 11th.
I'm giving a few more days for the other 4 to sprout. They are in the kitchen window with a grow light for extra "sun" but not extra temp.
IF...the other 4 have not sprouted, I will stick what has in our fridge in the polebarn to set [a] winter on the sprouts, especially since we are to have above 50 degree temps for the next several days.
It won't be long and I will have them put in our garden. In fact, I have a load of top soil coming in Mon. and I will mix 10 months of compost in and set the "chokes about 12" deep and 6' apart.
Wish me luck!
Later!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.