Bird on windmill

Port Lavaca, TX(Zone 9a)

I need help from you birders. I'm painting a picture of the top part of a windmill (the wheel or blades or whatever you call them). There's an area that's really empty above the platform that's under the wheel. I want to put a bird perching on the platform but I don't know what kind of bird would do that but a hawk. There's not really enough space in the painting for a hawk because it's a larger bird. I would appreciate any suggestions.

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Check out the typical dimensions of a windmill blade - I suspect you'll find that a hawk isn't so large in comparison after all. I'd take a guess at an average windmill blade being about 10-15 metres long; compare that with a Red-tailed Hawk at 0.5 metres long, and (when flying) with a wingspan of 1.25 metres. Painted in scale, it wouldn't look overly large . . . you may even want something larger, like a Turkey Vulture (0.7 m long).

If you really do want a smaller bird, try an American Kestrel (23 cm long); they would readily perch in that sort of position.

If it's one of those big modern wind turbines with 40 metre blades for electricity generation, you'll need something even larger, like an eagle . . . though those turbines have a nasty way of killing eagles. Wind turbines and large birds don't mix well.

Resin

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Resin, attached is a picture of the type of windmill commonly used throughout the USA, to pump drinking water for both humans and livestock, prior to electricity. Note: blades are about one meter long. Remember, most to the members of this form are on a different continent. Most of us have an entirely different frame of reference, than yours.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen

Hi Grasmussen,

I was thinking more of this sort of thing (pic from Altamont Pass, California):
http://www.pollutionissues.com/images/paz_01_img0079.jpg

Resin

And the large modern ones are also in use in the US, here at Albuquerque, NM:
http://www.sandia.gov/news/resources/releases/2006/turbine-blade-workshop.html

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Resin: You miss the major clue!

Quoting from the original posting: " There's an area that's really empty above the platform that's under the wheel."
The old farm windmills of this most common type, often had a platform in the tower, so a workman could service the gears.
Additionally, the remains on these old windmills are a still common sight, across much of heart land USA.

There are no platforms on the ones pictured, in the HYPERLINKS you posted.

Gary

Port Lavaca, TX(Zone 9a)

Thanks Resin and Grasmussen, see the photo that I'm using for reference. Even though a hawk would fit in the space the painting would be unbalanced. That's why I need a smaller bird.

Thumbnail by barbur
Bloomingdale, IL(Zone 5a)

What about a bird that would complement the colors you are going to use in your windmill - if the windmill is gray/blue, why not an orange or yellow colored bird? You're an artist so you must have a preferable color in mind, yes? I'm from Illinois, so I don't know what the native birds of Texas are...maybe another DG's texan can suggest something. It would be even cooler if you found a bird the color you wanted and one that might just prefer nesting on a windmill platform.

I got my bird book out....how about a Cliff Swallow? It might show up nice in your painting. It's orange, black, reddish brown. Texas is definitely part of their territory - and they like to nest around bridges, cliffs, etc. Also, 5 1/2".

If the blades are about a metre long, I'd guess a Red-tailed Hawk might be a little too large. Red-shouldered Hawk is somewhat smaller (43cm) might be OK; if you want something smaller, try American Kestrel (23cm). Doves and pigeons will also perch on such structures; options include Mourning Dove (30cm), White-winged Dove (29cm), Collared Dove (33cm) and Band-tailed Pigeon (37cm).

One other point to bear in mind is that the lengths of birds are cited from museum specimens, stretched out tip of bill to tip of tail; in nature, a bird perched in a natural position appears about 15-20% shorter than the published lengths.

Resin

Resin, good point regarding the museum specimens, never considered that.
And I like your other two "choices": Kestrel, Dove. Personally, I'd go with the
Kestrel.
Anxious to see what Barbur thinks!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.