Celestial Dogwood

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Our local nursery got a shipment of these hybrid dogwoods. I know C.florida scorches in full sun here, but are these hybrids any more tolerant?

Ann Arbor, MI(Zone 5b)

Well, AL is a might different than MI, and what holds in the north may be irrelevant in the south. I have grown Aurora, Constellation and Stellar Pink, all from the same breeding background, all in full sun, with no scorching. I think these hybrids are closer to C. kousa in form and foliage habit, when they get fall color, etc. Does C. kousa grow in full sun for you? If so, then I bet you will be OK with the hybrids. If both kousa and florida sun-scorch where you are, the hybrids will probably too. Making sure they are well watered the first few years may diminish some of the scorching anyway.

BTW, I have found that up here these are vigorous, wonderful, floriferous plants (except maybe stellar pink which seems to have a higher "dud" factor and doesn't flower that well). Constellation is spectacular in flower, so much so that I moved it from my old garden to the new, and into a prominent spot too (in full sun). Never missed a beat, and flowered profusely the spring after moving.

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

Thanks, David! I was thinking about including a couple of these this year and a heads up on the culivars is always welcome. We need to get together soon for a nursery day. Maybe in the next month? I want to go to Gee's....

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

How does C. alternifolia Argentia or Gold Bullion compare in terms of sun scorching?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

I have found that my straight species Cornus alternifolia struggled in full half-day sun (southeastern exposure). It was planted against the house so it had protection from late afternoon and evening sun, but, apparantly, not enough. It developed leaf scorch, got tiny borers of some kind, and succumbed. One of its seedlings (and there were many, a real self-sower) is in a slightly better spot--a little more shade, a lot better soil, so we'll see how that does, although a buck rubbed the hell out of it already the other day. How this relates to the cultivars? My guess, and it is only a guess, is that yellow-foliaged and variegated plants are a little more sensitive to over exposure to the sun than is the type. I would put them in pretty consistent, though probably not heavy, shade.

Scott

This message was edited Mar 8, 2007 11:30 AM

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

I have C. a. 'Argentea' and Golden Shadows® in full sun and they do scorch a bit. C. alternifolia is an understory plant so it does not appreciate being in full sun. That said, you MUST ensure that the plant receives sufficient moisture while in full sun or the plant will kick the bucket. My plants will be in part-shade once the larger-growing trees get some size to them, so they won't be in full sun forever.

The leaves of C. a. 'Argentea' are somewhat contorted and not as nice as the species or Golden Shadows®. I would opt for any C. alternifolia other than 'Argentea'. Just my opinion.
Mike

Ann Arbor, MI(Zone 5b)

I have a C. alternifolia argentea that is about 10 years old. It does not look as wonderful as the one posted from Gossler's web site, but still is a pretty good plant and a lovely small tree in my garden, about 4-5' tall and 6' across. It looks best in spring and early summer and later in summer the foliage can look a bit bedraggled. In my experience, none of these variegated alternate leaved dogwoods want much if any direct sun, no more than morning sun even in the north. They scorch and sulk with too much sun. Bright full shade is best I think.

The only variegated dogwood I have seen that seems to thrive in full sun in the north is 'Wolfeyes'. Monique, one of the GW posters with a long interest in woody and herbaceous plants, has one in full sun that is just gorgeous. Gets wonderful fuchsia pink fall color too.

Patrick, I'd love to go to Gees when the weather finally breaks a little. I would love to go back to the witchhazel poly house and test out all those plants for fragrance while they are in bloom. Email me. Maybe toward the end of March-early April.

Coldwater, MI(Zone 5b)

Deal...

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I have several Cornus, one of which is Cornus 'Eddies White Wonder' Hyb. white Dogwood. I planted it out in my Woodland garden area, 3 yrs. ago. and last season looked pretty good, had not bloomed yet. Now I am pretty sure it will die, the darned bunnies ate all the bark off from about 10" (snow level) to 16 to 18 inches, so I am sure it will not make it.

And that isn't the only tree they barked, also ate around all the limbs of my weeping Tilia petiolarius, Linden, and it also 3 years old and looking good. Did the same thing to my Fagus sylvatica 'Cockleshelll'. Hate the little devils.

Luckily had wire around my little Cornus mas 'Tricolor'. They manage to trim some of the twigs that poked thru the wire around my Quercus concordia Golden English Oak, but other than being trimmed not the way I would have i think it is still okay. the snow has just melted enough so that I can walk most areas of the garden but haven't checked everything for damage.

Why don't bunnies like Cornus Yellow Twig or Cornus elegantissima. They didbark 5 or 6 limbs of the Cornus racemosa, Grey Dogwood.

Donna

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Mucho Gusto on the info about the C. alternifolia. I was heading for a mistake. Most likely too much sun.

rutholive, I had a young prized magnolia barked a couple of years ago. This little bunny got it above the wire protector. How I don't know. I know your pain. An equally serious scourge here are the gray squirrels. What the rabbits don't get on the trunk the squirrels manage to make up for on the limbs. I have been seen dashing out of the house in PJ's with the only weapon I could find in a hurry, an umbrella. Yeah, the neighbor's talk. And the squirrels roll on the ground laughing.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I have never grown C.kousa. I do have several native dogwoods and they pretty much have to be in the shade to look good. Some people have them in full sun, and while they may survive, they look pretty rough by June.

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

This may be a very dumb question...DH and I bought a new home last year and cleared out a lot of "junk" growing underneath and around a large grove of loblolly pines. Low and behold, we found a small dogwood growing between some pines. No other dogwoods in the neighborhood (new subdivision). So, how did it get there and what species would a "wild" growing dogwood be?

thanks.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

I do have a C. kousa "Summer Stars". It is has a southern exposure with nearly full sun in sandy soil Ph 6.5. It is a profuse bloomer with no scorch at all. The bark is nice to look at in the winter. My only criticism would be the somewhat upward facing brachts. Of course Zone 5 sun is not Zone 8, neither are the average high temps. Oddly enough, in a much more shady position, Wolfeyes just struggled. I was forced to put it out of its misery. It seemed to require a lot more water than I could arrange.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

gliz, birds love dogwood fruit, so there's a good chance your tree came from bird droppings. I guess it's as likely as not your dogwood is Cornus florida.

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks claypa. Of course, birds - duh! We sure have plenty of birds around here...makes sense. Last year we cleared out around the little tree and cut some branches off the nearby pines so filtered light could shine through. I took alook at it today and it appears to have some buds. That should confirm the species I would think.

Bluffton, SC(Zone 9a)

I have both C. kousa, C.florida and I use them under bigger trees in shade. Works well. I think your really fighting a losing battle. It's an understory tree and it's not meant to be in full sun, especially in the deep South.

My only point is use it as it's meant to be used.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I had my Cornus Alternifolia somewhat exposed to afternoon sun and it almost died so I move it to a sunless NE location on my house and it has thrived. This is my 3 year old last summer becoming a spectcular specimen. I have placed my Gossler Alternifolia 'Argentia' in my new woodland with plenty of overstory Ponderosa Pine. I expect a good location for it.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Elburn, IL(Zone 5a)

Are you going to espalier that Pagoda Dogwood Sofer? Otherwise, it will eat your deck. There are plenty of homes around here with trees that are 20-25' tall AND 15-20' WIDE. When happy, they grow very fast.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

In a way yes I will. I plan on the upper tree to be canopied over the deck area and all of the area away from the house is for the lateral branching to develope. After the upper tree developes I plan on removing the lower laterals and grow a clematis to cover the trunk. to the right of the tree is a Swedish Aspen with a tall columnar effect and I can't wait for the two to compliment each other. I want the Alternifolia to soften the hard lines of the corner of the house and over lap the roof line. This will allow me to have a dramatic setting for a seat under the floral bouquet. It will be nice to look down on the leaf and flower.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

What do you think of this Dogwood C. alternifolia? It is planted in full to filtered sun and growing happily. Should I be shaping it in some way to encourage pagoda type branching? Is it OK to trim the ends of the branches and keep it symmetrical? It blooms, forms berries which turn blue which are then quickly eaten by the Cardinal family with two!! nests nearby or by some other birds. This tree is beautiful in the fall with orange yellow foliage.

Thumbnail by bacarney
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 5a)

You would need to remove one of the trunks to get the true layered effect from this plant's branching pattern. With two trunks it will not be as apparent, as shown in the picture. Aside from removing one of the trunks, no further trimming is necessary.
tl³

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.