perennials and shrubs under pine trees -windy z5?

Hammond, IL(Zone 5a)

Over the past 9 years many plantings have not survived. Anyone have some hints? Morning sun, admended soil, extra water getting established....they dont over winter. I'm not one to put a a coat over ...I know the wind is fierce, I'd like some tough good looking, spring blooming troopers. Was hopin for rhodendrons....l2 of those bit the dust. So far, 'Blue Prince and Princess' hollies and viburnum x woodburkii have survived. Oh yes, and a 'Regal Splendor' hosta.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

More hosta!

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Lilies of the valley? I'm not sure how they do with high acidity, but they like it shady....

Trenton, MI(Zone 5b)

iambloomin, I'll be watching this thread. Several people have advised me that pine tree roots are close to the surface and it is almost impossible to grow plants under them. I've been thinking of digging out an area and planting pots into the ground and planting into the pots. That is a lot of work I don't want to do, so I'm hoping you get some response.

My back yard is very windy. I have a hard time keeping ornamental trees alive there. So far I have killed a Weeping Cherry, and a Dogwood. The bunnies killed my wonderful minature apple tree. :o(

Rhodendrons do not like the wind ... found that out the hard way too. Interesting that you have holly under the pine tree. Mine said to keep it in a protected area, so yours must be a hardier variety.
toofew~

Hammond, IL(Zone 5a)

thanx for the feedback yall.....the holly(7) were planted june and july 2006---so we'll see how they do there. My husband, farmer Gregg installed a wind break (3' tall) the west length of the pine row. I have lots of 'lily of the valley' and some pulmonaria....was really hopin for spring and/or summer bloomin shrubs that I could enjoy from my kitchen window......seems to be my best viewing point often, its about 50' away.

Morrinsville ~Waikat, New Zealand

It depends what sort of pine you have there .In 1950 ,Pinus radiata (monterey pine ) were imported to NZ from California -they grow very rapidly -3 times as fast as their American relations ..They were originally planted as a timber tree ,but are now pests that have spread ...The ground around them becomes toxic and NOTHING will grow underneath them . The roots are indeed near the surface ..Sorry to be so gloomy ,but that is a NZ's experience with them ,and we cut them down as soon as they appear (wind born seeds )
The photo is of one being cut down on our beach property -it had been allowed to grow enormous -as seen by the two in the background.
Emelle

This message was edited Mar 10, 2007 10:51 PM

Thumbnail by Emelle
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

This has been doing very well for me Pulmonaria Mrs. Moon. She is growing under a very tall Norway spruce and has also reseeded a few baby plants for me. Gets morning sun and not much water.

Thumbnail by ladygardener1
Hammond, IL(Zone 5a)

The 'pine row ' is Pinus strobus (eastern white pine) l2 of them 50-80' tall ( approx l8 yrs. old) on the west edge of our 1/2 acre lot next to the open farmland. It is pretty dry under there and many of the lower branches are off, so I've been attempting to thicken up the wind break concept.
I'm hoping for shrubs that bloom :^))
Nice photo of Mrs. Moon, LADYGAR and is that you EMILLE up the pine truck?
Its 57* today and sunny...yaawhooooo

Alexandria, VA(Zone 7b)

I have the same spot-so far, pieris japonica, nandina, camellia, fargesia, hydrangeas, & a couple of Japanese maples are surviving, if not thriving. My soil is horrible clay, coupled w/ the wind & the pine roots, it's a dilemma...

Near Lake Erie, NW, PA(Zone 5a)

Wonder if Mountian Laurel would work and a good layer of leaf mulch, sort of a woodland setting.

Morrinsville ~Waikat, New Zealand

No ,it was me taking the photo .The gorgeous guy is 'Mike' -a volunteer fireman ,who had all the necessary ropes etc and knows how to bring a tree down safely .
Your pines sound completely different -the pine family is a large genus. Good luck !
Emelle

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.