all of the above quoted from Betsy Clebsch

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

From her book...."The New Book of Salvias"
edited to make change

"All of the below quoted from Betsy Clebsch"

This message was edited Mar 7, 2007 10:00 AM

Hebron, KY

Hi Sherry,

I have the 2 Salvia books of Betsy Clebsch and thank you very much for making these lists! I haven't read alot of those 2 books yet, but I'm sure it took alot of reading to come up with the Salvias for each list! I'm going to print out those lists on my computer. ;-))

You're a gem!

Marilyn

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow, I had no idea there were so many. I have just a few, but love them for their long lasting blooms and toughness.Which do you have that tolerate shade?

(Zone 9a)

Thanks for taking time for categorizing them. It's helpful. I now now salvia elegans should do fine in my yard.

Fallbrook, CA(Zone 10b)

You're welcome....I'm afraid that Betsy did all of the work....I just copied her lists. Banana...so many? How about hundreds? You could be collecting for years!
Sherry

Hebron, KY

LOL !!! Salvias and Agastaches are truly addicting (in a good way)! ;-))

Marilyn

Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Uh oh! What an addictive "hobby".
I am limited by space...and knowing I will probably move in a few years. It makes me sad to leave all my babies one day. Do you have a favorite shade salvia?

Hebron, KY

I grow alot of Salvias in containers. I'm in zone 6 and alot aren't hardy for me. I love the red ones esp., (because of the Hummers) and a new favorite that I grew for the first time last Summer is Salvia microphylla 'San Carlos Festival', and I'll never be without it (have to plant it each year, though)! It's not red, but it is so beautiful!!! I love the blue ones too (Salvia 'Black and Blue')!

Here's one of the pics I took last Oct. of it. (actually, I took LOTS of photos of it last year)!

edited to add..... the color seemed to me to only deepen and get more beautiful and the season progressed. This was taken on a cool and chilly, cloudy evening on Oct. 22, 06.

edited to add..... forgive me for the 'rusty' plant support in the container of Salvias (I threw it away). I only use it for a perch for the Hummers, since they like something to perch on.

This message was edited Mar 8, 2007 12:55 AM

This message was edited Mar 8, 2007 12:58 AM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow! That is a beauty! Didn't notice anything rusty until you mentionned it.

Hebron, KY

Bananna,

Here's the same flower on June 24, 06 in the evening that had sun. Still very beautiful! I'm going to definitely plant this Salvia every year!

This message was edited Mar 9, 2007 11:32 AM

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Hebron, KY

A closeup in June of the same Salvia flower.

Thumbnail by Marilynbeth
Colleyville, TX(Zone 8a)

Great pictures. I love it's color, flower shape and name! It makes me happy just to say it.
Keep those rusty things. I save them up and then spray paint. There are new ones that have a hammered metal look.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.