CLOSED: Need confirm on ID

Marlton, NJ

This pic is from very far away so its not good. What type of woodpecker is this? I won't say what I'm thinking because it may be wishful thinking on my part,lol. Notice the low black collar, spotted chest, long beak and red on back of his head. Thanks for you help!

Thumbnail by pelletory
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Northern (Yellow-shafted) Flicker, you can just see the red nape, spotted breast and black upper breast band

Resin

Marlton, NJ

YIPPPEEEEE!!!! Thanks Resin, thats what I thought!

First one you've seen?

If yes, drinks are on you ;-)

Resin

Marlton, NJ

Yes This makes my 4th type of WP here.

This message was edited Mar 7, 2007 1:49 PM

This message was edited Mar 7, 2007 1:50 PM

Congrats!

Resin

Hebron, KY

Pelle,

That's exactly what I thought it was too when I saw your pic also.

We see them now and then here, but haven't seen one lately. :-((

Marilyn

Central, KY(Zone 6b)

Congrats!!

I saw my first one a couple of weeks ago.

Cranford, NJ

I live in Cranford,NJ and saw a flicker hanging off my bird feeder (balancing with his tail) twice today. He is usually on the ground when I see him. The photos are sooo wonderful. Thank you.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Yay Pell!! Make another notch on the belt lol! I love flickers and don't see them very often here. I hope yours settles for the summer at your house. :-)

Marlton, NJ

jigs, where is Cranford; I've never heard of it before.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

pelle-- interesting to see your photo! --Resin your eyes must be very sharp! We are lucky to have flickers visiting our feeders yet I didn't recognize it.

I suppose, pelle, you are in the Eastern migratory flyway? When I googled 'Flickers' I was surprised to read that they are migratory and head back to Canada and points north in March. Can't find many details on their paths, though.

Marlton, NJ

Hi tabasco, I know their in our area but I don't know anything about their paths. Now if he would just come to the feeders I'd be thrilled!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.