LA Iris in zones lower than 6

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I live in Zone 5 and was hoping to grow some LA Iris. I have heard some of you say you grow LA Iris in zones lower than 6. I think Wanda was one. I noticed that Ensata farms is introducing an LA Iris for zone 5. How many of you grow LA Iris in Zone 5 or lower? Do they flourish? Do they bloom? What varieties work for you? Do you do have clay or sandy soil, acid or alkaline? I want to try them, but I want to improve my odds of success.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I grow them, but only one has bloomed so far. might help I watered them, but I'm lazy. Sink or swim in my garden>

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

I have two old unamed la's from my grandma's garden (she lived in philadelphia) that bloom to beat the band here in nh. they actually do a little too well along my small pond, so have moved some to a dryer spot to try to keep them from increasing so rapidly. I would also like to grow some of the new beauties.... I'd be interested to know the ones you choose-

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Funny, I've never thought of New Mexico as being cold like Iowa. All my Loisiana Iris came from Tazzy a couple of years ago. I thought I planted them in good spots, but i don't think they were wet enough. And in spots near the fence where the dog trampled them constantly. Some are moved to lower areas where water gathers & some have new metal cages for protection. At least the bunnies don't eat them! We'll see how they do this year.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

The part of New Mexico I live in is at the elevation of 7,300 ft. and is listed as Zone 5a. It is quite cold in the winter, but probably a lot dryer than Iowa -- 18 inches per year. We actually have 4 ski basins in Northern New Mexico and one ten minutes from downtown Los Alamos called, Pajarito Mt.
It doesn't sound like a great location for LA's right now. I may not try them, but from the first time I saw it I loved Black Gamecock. I grew up in New Orleans and did grow them there and of course they did well. I am still trying to decide for here. Perhaps they would make it where the rain rolls off my roof. Below is a picture looking out from my front yard at the lot across the street on Christmas Day 2006.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Now the picture!

Thumbnail by pajaritomt
Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

pajaritomt-What a gorgeous picture. I got into La's because of the Black Gamecock too. I have a pond so I grow them around the water and also in the garden.

Halls of Ivy

Thumbnail by mrsspeedsgarden
Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Anns Child

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Bout Midnight

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Clyde Redmond

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Dancing Vogue

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Dalton

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

French Quarter

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Hush Money

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Now and Forever

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Real Easy

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

Thanksgiving Feast

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

Oh msspeedsgarden, those pictures are so tempting! I am taking the master gardeners' class right now and only last night the County Agent told us to " choose the plant that fits the environment, rather than try to change the environment to suit the plant."
But the will is so weak and the flower is so beautiful.
Where does one buy named Louisiana Iris?

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

pajaritomt, I love that photo of yours! We rarely ever see snow here!

Here is a link page - - full of links that will take you to places to buy Louisiana irises. It's on the "Society for Louisiana Irises" website.
http://www.louisianas.org/directory/comlinks.html

This is their home page:
http://www.louisianas.org/welcome.html

Happy viewing! :-)
~Margie

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

mrsspeedsgarden - Those are some great photos of lovely irises!! I'm intrigued with "DALTON". ..... Nice color combination.

~Margie

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

When I lived in Ontario, zone 4B, I had 4 LAs that survived very well in the garden. They were all Chownings so look for those bred by Chowning. Can't remember the names other than Black Gamecock . Oh yes, another that did well is called Dorothy or Dorothea K. Williamson. DKW is almost impossible to kill and clumps up very quickly.

I find you cannot beat Iris City Gardens for LAs. Their packaging is truly TDF. Our shipment was caught in a Canada Customs strike a few years ago and after just short of a month, every single iris was just fine, not dried out at all. Lots of them had grown in the dark too.

Now, alas, they come inside for the winter under lights. The joys of zone 2b.

This is Princess Leia, photo taken by Echoes who babysat the LAs one winter before our basement was insulated.

Ginny

Thumbnail by inanda
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

inanda,
The information you provide is just what I was hoping to hear! I have Iris City Gardens bookmarked. Thanks!
Betty

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.